Oscraps

July Art Journaling Challenge #1 "Winter"

Cherylndesigns

I'm in The Zone ~ The "O" Zone
CHEERY O
Hello and welcome to the July Art Journaling Challenges. This month, we're going to be exploring Seasons. Our first challenge is Winter, which begins on Winter Solstice, the shortest day of the year. In the Northern Hemisphere, the Solstice is in December (12/21/23); in the Southern Hemisphere, the Solstice is in June (6/21/23).
I found four quotes that I liked very much; in fact, I used the last one on my sample layout. Feel free to use any of them or just use them for inspiration. I also added an inspiration picture underneath each quote.

"Winter is the time for comfort, for good food and warmth, for the touch of a friendly hand, and for a talk beside the fire: it is the time for home."
~ Edith Sitwell

winter-fire-web.jpg

"They who sing through summer must dance in the winter."
~ Italian Proverb

dancing-in-the-snow-web.jpg

The snow is sparkling like a million little suns.
~ Lama Willa

sunset-3053160_1280-web.jpg

"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that there was in me an invincible summer."
~ Albert Camus

winter-trees-web.jpg

(Images are all from Pixabay)

Here's my layout and I hope it gives you some inspiration:

if you're new to Art Journaling or think it's just "not your thing" - Remember, THERE ARE NO RULES IN ART JOURNALING. THAT'S THE ONLY RULE. My Art Journaling pages are more about the "Art" part, than the "Journaling" part. Your pages are your creations and will reflect your feelings and how you wish to express yourself, artistically, on your pages. This week's theme, "WINTER" is like a "prompt" - let it take you wherever it will and it's always open to your own interpretation. Note: I've added some "process notes" in the gallery - if you'd like to see more of how I created my layout.

Challenge Rules:
You have until 11:59 p.m. EST on July 31st to post your pages for this challenge.
  1. To qualify for the drawing, you need to use 80% Oscraps products that are currently in the store (non-Oscraps products or retired O designer products can be used whether the designer is selling elsewhere or not).​
  2. You need to credit all the products used on your page.​
  3. You cannot use a page you create for this challenge for another Oscraps challenge.​
  4. Upload your page to the Art Journal Gallery and then add your layout to the challenge thread. (Below you will find instructions on adding your page to this thread.)​
Adding a linked layout from the Gallery to a thread:

Upload your layout to the gallery first. In your forum post click the Gallery Embed icon (little camera).

This will open your gallery, simply click on the layout you require, then scroll down to the bottom of the screen and click the Continue button.

Your linked layout is now in your post, the image will appear once you have clicked the Post Reply button.

Last edited:

faerywings

The Loopy-O
CHEERY O
ah, darn it, you are going to make me scrap about my least favorite season? :brrr:
I am sure I'll be able to fit some complaining into my page LOL!

svanderhaegen

CHEERY O
When it comes to making (digital or fysical) art journal pages, I have a distinctive process that involves multiple layers of creativity. I start by crafting a stunning background, setting the stage for my artistic journey. It could be a vibrant splash of watercolors, a soothing blend of pastels, or a rich tapestry of mixed media techniques. My choice of colors and techniques allows me to convey mood, emotion, and energy, adding depth and dimension to my pages.

But the heart of my art journal lies in the act of journaling itself. It is here that I pour out my thoughts, dreams, and reflections, giving voice to the innermost corners of my being.

Cherylndesigns

CHEERY O
When it comes to making (digital or fysical) art journal pages, I have a distinctive process that involves multiple layers of creativity. I start by crafting a stunning background, setting the stage for my artistic journey. It could be a vibrant splash of watercolors, a soothing blend of pastels, or a rich tapestry of mixed media techniques. My choice of colors and techniques allows me to convey mood, emotion, and energy, adding depth and dimension to my pages.

But the heart of my art journal lies in the act of journaling itself. It is here that I pour out my thoughts, dreams, and reflections, giving voice to the innermost corners of my being.

It's a beautiful page, Sonja and I know that you pour your heart into your pages.

Cherylndesigns

CHEERY O
I started out quite literally looking at my winter kits and then somehow seemed to wander to a more abstract interpretation. Thanks for the challenge and the chance to 'play'.
I love this so much and also love that you "wandered" while coming up with inspiration. I do the same thing and that's the wonderful part of Art Journaling. Thanks so much for playing along!!

Cherylndesigns

CHEERY O
I saw the "Art Journaling" challenge late! I'm trying to be update! Thank you for these great ideas! This is "my winter"!
I chose a very nice quote from Lewis Carrol.
This is awesome, Kath and it's never too late - these challenges are all open until the end of the month. Thanks for playing along.

Cherylndesigns

CHEERY O
I'm just gobsmacked at all of your wonderful interpretations of the "WINTER" themed Art Journaling Challenge!! You can still play until the last day of the month. You've all amazed me!!