Oscraps

May Art Journaling Challenge Week 1 - Family - By Heart or by Blood.

pachimac

I solemnly swear I am up to no good!
CHEERY O
This month's Art Journaling challenge is all about Family - By Heart or by Blood.

Family is about connection. It's about feeling like we belong somewhere and with someone. Whether it's our blood relatives, close friends, or coworkers, the people we consider family are the ones who make us feel seen, heard, and valued. They are the ones who make us feel like we are part of something bigger than ourselves, and for that, we are forever grateful.

Week One - Where Did I Come From?

We all ask questions of ourselves as we grow and learn about our world around us, and the family that we came from. Who am I? Where did I come from? WHO did I come from? Who are my family members? What were my ancestors like? What cultural heritage are my ancestors from? What is my family's country of origin?

Some of us know from day one what culture or country our family is from. We celebrate it with cultural traditions, stories of our past, finding out about where our relatives came from.

Some of us have very close knit families. Some of us don't know our families at all. Some know our entire family tree back generations, and some don't even know their siblings or maybe even who their parents are.

Family consists of many parts, and can mean different things to different people. For the purposes of this month, we are not defining family for you. There's no one way to describe a "family". I like to say that there are family members by blood, and family members by love.

This week, we would like you to focus on an aspect of your family - whether by love or blood, and scrap something about that: how it makes you feel, what family looks like to you. You could share a special family tradition, some genealogy you've learned, some family "stories" - whether true or ones you found out later were fiction.

If you don't have a relationship (or it's not a good one) with your family of origin, maybe you could share about a person of whom you consider FAMILY, and why they hold that special position in your heart. You may not have "come from" this person/persons, but they have shaped you in some way that was foundational to the core of who you are and have become.

Here is an idea/mood board to get your AJ Juices going...
AJMayMoodBoardBeginning.jpg

Here is my page:

Remember, for the art journaling challenges you can create any style of page. You get to decide what art journaling means to you. It can be a traditionally artsy page, clean and simple, pocket style, junk journal, or something else. That is up to you.

Because this is an art journal challenge, we want to encourage you to explore using more artsy elements on your pages. For the month of May, we'd like you to try using digital stamps on your pages. Most art journaling kits have stamps included. I'm sure you have kits that have stamps in them. It's not required but you can earn one extra entry this month for using one or more digital stamps on at least one of your pages. (The digital stamps must be clearly visible, not hidden under a cluster or buried under a photo.)

Here is an add on kit from Lynn Grieveson's new kit "Heathcliff" that is all digital stamps:
lgrieveson-heathcliff-MM-preview.jpg

Using blending techniques, you can make a really fun background to your memories!

Everyone who participates in any of this month's challenges will be entered into a drawing for a $5 gift certificate to Oscraps. You can receive up to four entries into this month's drawing.

I can't wait to see what you have to share about FAMILY.

Challenge Rules:
You have until 11:59 p.m. ET on May 31st to complete your pages for this challenge.
  1. To qualify for the drawing, you need to use 80% Oscraps products that are currently in the store (non-Oscraps products or retired O designer products can be used whether the designer is selling elsewhere or not).
  2. You need to credit all the products used on your page.
  3. You cannot use a page you create for this challenge for another Oscraps challenge.
  4. Upload your page to the Art Journal Gallery and then add your layout to the challenge thread. (Below you will find instructions on adding your page to this thread.)

Adding a linked layout from the Gallery to a thread:

Upload your layout to the gallery first. In your forum post click the Gallery Embed icon (little camera).

This will open your gallery, simply click on the layout you require, then scroll down to the bottom of the screen and click the Continue button.

Your linked layout is now in your post, the image will appear once you have clicked the Post Reply button.

Last edited:

wombat146

ONA - Administrator
CHEERY O
Oh what a great challenge Susie and I just LOVE your layout!! wow!!! I need some time to get a page done for this!!! ♥

scrap-genie

The prompts on family just brought this barreling out and so here it is. Hope it's not depressing. Also I was pleased that I could use this group photo of the whole family with just us from one side.

pachimac

I solemnly swear I am up to no good!
CHEERY O