Oscraps

RECIPES: Vegetarian/Vegan

faerywings

The Loopy-O
CHEERY O
This is a thread to share any vegetarian or vegan recipes.
Feel free to share any ones that you like!

faerywings

The Loopy-O
CHEERY O
My Il's brought us 2 huge bunches of broccoli rabe a couple of weeks ago. One bunch I cooked just sauteed with garlic, but I made this pasta dish as well.
pasta with garlicky broccoli rabe

I followed the recipe pretty close to how it was written with one exception. Instead of quickly sauteing the garlic in the olive oil, I sliced the cloves (I used a lot more than called for but we love garlic) super thin and tossed then in warmed olive oil. I let that "steep" the entire time I was cooking and the olive oil was infused with the flavor. I also used pink Himalayan sea salt and only 1/4 tsp of red pepper, and let the family add more at the table.

felis

It's difficult to me to translate the process of cooking so will give you this link direct to the blog of great chef which I follow in Instagram ~ Kathryne Taylor.
I'm happy to share also my Pinterest board, but it isn't only for cook, sorry.

faerywings

The Loopy-O
CHEERY O
I started following you, felis- love the crochet ideas you pinned. :)

Honey Sesame Tofu

This is the PITA but worth it recipe that I make - tofu for Caitlyn and chicken for the rest of the family.
I double the marinade recipe and keep *everything* separate- two bowls, cookie sheets, frying pans. But it is really yummy. I have used boneless, skinless breasts (too dry) and prefer boneless, skinless thighs. I leave out the oyster sauce since Cait hates anything fish-y and my supermarket doesn't carry a veggie option of that even if she did.
One thing I do is prep and marinate everything early in the day so I don't end up standing on my feet for hours at the end of the day. The longer you marinate the tofu, the better flavor it has, or so Cait says :) (Personally, I can't stand the texture)
put over brown rice- and good meal.

Scrapmemories

Lorraine
It's great to see some fellow vegetarians. I've been a vegetarian for 30 years now. I got a an instant pot 18 mths ago and added a 2nd last year. We now make homemade Indian dishes that were extremely expensive in restaurants. Plus the volume provides an opportunity to freeze some meals or have lunches during the week.
Cooking foods of many ethnicity like Mexican, Greek, Indian etc give more options and flavor to vegetarian cooking.
this reminds me I need to scrap more of my recipes- here is one

Curried-Lentils.jpg

https://ozone.oscraps.com/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=379145&title=curried-lentils&cat=all

Jeannette

CHEERY O
It's great to see some fellow vegetarians. I've been a vegetarian for 30 years now. I got a an instant pot 18 mths ago and added a 2nd last year. We now make homemade Indian dishes that were extremely expensive in restaurants. Plus the volume provides an opportunity to freeze some meals or have lunches during the week.
Cooking foods of many ethnicity like Mexican, Greek, Indian etc give more options and flavor to vegetarian cooking.
this reminds me I need to scrap more of my recipes- here is one

Curried-Lentils.jpg

https://ozone.oscraps.com/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=379145&title=curried-lentils&cat=all

This looks great, thanks for sharing here!

Betty Jo

♥ Lovin' the O ♥
It's wonderful to find this thread at the O. Great recipe suggestions and beautiful food layouts. I've been WFPB (whole food plant based) for the past three years due to health problems. I pretty much follow the Dr. John McDougall plan. I was bent over at the waist every morning, having to use a walker to get around, until I could straighten up in the afternoon. I also had carpal tunnel so badly I would cry when using my mouse, when I could use it at all. In less than a month I donated the walker, and within a couple more months the carpal tunnel was completely gone, never to return. I was convinced of the health benefits of eating this way and will most likely do so the remainder of my days. I love the recipes of Shane Martin (no relation), of Shane & Simple. Even my non-WFBP son and family love his Banana and Zucchini Bread. https://shaneandsimple.com/recipes/

faerywings

The Loopy-O
CHEERY O
Betty Jo, thank you sooo much for reviving this thread.
I am looking up Dr. McDougall right now, I have his website right here : https://www.drmcdougall.com/health/education/free-mcdougall-program/

My husband was recently diagnosed with Chrohn's Disease (on top of Lyme and Type 1 Diabetes- yippee :faint:) and that all makes food/menu planning more complicated. He didn't show any gluten intolerance but feels much better when he is gluten-free. I think that this might be helpful to him!

scrapinmom

CHEERY O
Just noticed this and the McDougall diet may me with severe pancreatitis which I have suffered from from nearly a year and ended up in the hospital 3 times with over the course of 8 months.

tanteva

all i need is Oscraps, cOffee, chOcOlate & tOfu
Here's a fantastic web site with vegan recipes:

She also has a Youtube channel that is really great.

tanteva

And a favorite of mine ... love to eat this with nachos on a hot summer day.

faerywings

The Loopy-O
CHEERY O
I am always looking for some more vegetarian recipes. I am scrolling through the recipes- nothing that I would typically make so that seems to me it is time to get adventurous.

ETA: Cait is vegetarian but her new boyfriend is vegan and I am already stressing about what to feed him when he is vax'd and able to come over for dinner. Note that I said "feed him" and not "meet him." My priorities are so messed up! haha!

tanteva

My experience is that vegans usually are very grateful that you make an effort and realize they don't eat dairy or eggs. It's really easy nowadays, I think, to find vegan options in the store. Changed a lot only in the few years we've been vegetarians. We eat both dairy and eggs, but I often make vegan food. I think the vegan dairy substitutes are often better than the normal ones.

Betty Jo

♥ Lovin' the O ♥
I am always looking for some more vegetarian recipes. I am scrolling through the recipes- nothing that I would typically make so that seems to me it is time to get adventurous.

ETA: Cait is vegetarian but her new boyfriend is vegan and I am already stressing about what to feed him when he is vax'd and able to come over for dinner. Note that I said "feed him" and not "meet him." My priorities are so messed up! haha!
Chris, my son makes incredible whole food plant based (vegan) pizza and Fettuccine Alfredo for me, which the new boyfriend might like. My son gets a lot of his recipes from Forks Over Knives. I made the following recipe when my sister visited, who is not vegan or vegetarian, and she and her friend loved it. I get awesome vegan hamburger buns at a small shop in our town. I also love this recipe myself: Texas Style BBQ Soy Curls

After years of WFPB eating, I've become super sensitive to Salicylates. So, I'm now on a low Salicylate food plan and have added back dairy and eggs.

I love your sense of humor, Chris. I laughed outloud when I read: Note that I said "feed him" and not "meet him." My priorities are so messed up! haha!

faerywings

The Loopy-O
CHEERY O
@Betty Jo - Wow, the soy curls look really good, and I am going to put them on my Amazon Wishlist since I have no idea if I can find them in my area. I bet it would be easy to double the sauce recipe and use chicken for me, Gary, and Scott and use the other half with the soy for Caitlyn and the BF.

Sidenote question: When I was diagnosed with Breast Cancer - yikes, that was back in 2014- the thinking at the time was to limit soy for hormone-positive cancers. Do any of you know if that is still the recommendation? I could google it but I am being lazy ATM LOL

And yes, my perspective on life and food is warped-- I was raised in an Italian family and food is the solution to everything. :p

Betty Jo

♥ Lovin' the O ♥
@Betty Jo - Wow, the soy curls look really good, and I am going to put them on my Amazon Wishlist since I have no idea if I can find them in my area. I bet it would be easy to double the sauce recipe and use chicken for me, Gary, and Scott and use the other half with the soy for Caitlyn and the BF.

Sidenote question: When I was diagnosed with Breast Cancer - yikes, that was back in 2014- the thinking at the time was to limit soy for hormone-positive cancers. Do any of you know if that is still the recommendation? I could google it but I am being lazy ATM LOL

And yes, my perspective on life and food is warped-- I was raised in an Italian family and food is the solution to everything. :p
Chris, I would think the sauce would work well with chicken too. I always double the sauce recipe anyways, as I love it. I order my curls from Amazon. I haven't found them around here either.

The soy risk for hormone positive cancers is still debatable. But, I'd err on the side of caution. I don't eat a lot of soy, since there is a history of breast cancer in my family. Now that I'm eating dairy, I'll be careful with that too, as it contains hormones. Now, that's just my opinion, each person has to decide for themselves.

My daughter-in-love is Italian, so I've learned from her, and her family, that food is the solution to everything. :))

tanteva

First of all, I had no idea you had breast cancer. <3

Second, I think the latest is that soy isn't any danger for breast cancer. I think I remember even reading that it's protecting from breast cancer even. Anyway ... if you are eating it now and then, and not every single meal every single day, it shouldn't be a problem. And compared to all the hormones they force into the animals to get more meat out of them, I'm sure it's just as dangerous.

tanteva

This is a recipe similar to the one I used today.

Differences:
- I used kidney beans, cuz that was what I had.
- Veggies I used with the beans and mushrooms where zucchini, sundried tomatoes and onion
- I used oats instead of bread crumbs, cuz I like it better.
- In my recipe it said to mix everything in a mixer or blender.

faerywings

The Loopy-O
CHEERY O
Thank you for the info on soy, @Betty Jo and @tanteva -My motto is "everything in moderation" Your definition of moderation may differ from mine and my definition of moderation may differ whether I am talking about beets vs chocolate- but I have another motto- to each her own. haha! I can cover all of the bases.

I have a couple of recipes for black bean burgers and one ends up being very soft and end up using a lot more bread crumbs to bind it together. I have several cans of cannellini beans but never thought to use them for burgers. I will have to give that shot.

tanteva

Translation:
Swamp Soup
Almost every Friday I cook Swamp Soup. It's a perfect way to use up veggie leftovers. You just put all the leftover veggies into a blender and mix it smooth with a little bit of water. Then pour it into a pan, add a stock cube, spices and enough water to make a perfect consistency. Perfect dinner with a little bit of toppings and a nice bread. Then you still have room in the tummy for some late night snacks in front of the TV on Friday night. That it got the name Swamp Soup was John's idea. Not always do the soup's color isn't as deliciously red as on the photo, it depends on what veggies you have at home. Once when the color was less tempting, John came down to the kitchen, looked at our bowls, and said "Why don't you both eat swamp, and I'll have some proper food!"

tanteva

Life goal: Trying to figure out how to make this myself!

Translated in the gallery, but I paste it here as well:

Translation of journaling:
This could be the most delicious dish I've had in my entire life! As a vegetarian you're not exactly spoiled when it comes to restaruant food. Usually all there is is pizza or some dull vegetarian burger, but this time I hit the jackpot! It was sizzling hot outside, the restaurant had air conditioning [NB: not very common in Sweden], the beer was cold and the food was fantastic. So many different flavours that just melted together into pure magic.

And from the photo of the menu:
Spicy Roasted Pointed Cabbage
Pointed cabbage glazed with mango chutney served on a bed of green asparagus with roasted new potatoes and pickled red onions. Accompanied by a fresh romantica compote.

Found this when I used google to translate - might be a start:

faerywings

The Loopy-O
CHEERY O
that looks really good! I did a roasted tomato dish last year but with balsamic. I am not a huge fan of balsamic but white wine might be a nice option. I love Vidalia onions too- TFS!

janedee

When dd and family moved in with us for several months, we became vegetarian too. I couldnt believe how much easier it is to be vegetarian these days. Here’s a couple of our faves.

Enchilada Casserole

Produce
1 (15 ounce) can Black beans
2 cloves Garlic
1 (4 ounce) can Green chile peppers
1 Jalapeno pepper
1 Onion
1 (8 ounce) package Tempeh

Condiments
1 (6 ounce) can Black olives

Bread & Baked Goods
6 (6 inch) corn tortillas

Dairy
8 oz Cheddar cheese

Prepared
1 (19 ounce) can Enchilada sauce

tanteva

When dd and family moved in with us for several months, we became vegetarian too. I couldnt believe how much easier it is to be vegetarian these days.

It is! Even during these 5-6 years we've been vegetarian it has become so much easier. So much alternatives popping up all the time. I tried to become vegetarian for the first time in my teens - with no help from my mom of course, who thought I was stupid - it was impossible. Like 2 dried beans to choose from, and having no idea how to cook them. Got back to meat in a week, and mom was happy.

faerywings

The Loopy-O
CHEERY O
It is much easier to cook for Caitlyn (vegetarian) now than it was when she was younger. But now I am going to struggle a bit- her BF is vegan and that is harder since we eat a lot of dairy here. He seems like he would be fine bringing his own food here if he is coming for dinner but that goes 100% against my nature ;)

tanteva

It is much easier to cook for Caitlyn (vegetarian) now than it was when she was younger. But now I am going to struggle a bit- her BF is vegan and that is harder since we eat a lot of dairy here. He seems like he would be fine bringing his own food here if he is coming for dinner but that goes 100% against my nature ;)
I think vegans are so used to people not knowing all that they don't eat, it feels safer to bring their own food. Easier. But once he sees you understand that he doesn't eat dairy, honey and so on, he'll be safer. I usually ask people very detailed questions what they eat or don't eat, to save us all from embarresment if something goes wrong.