Oscraps

RECIPES: Vegetarian/Vegan

tanteva

all i need is Oscraps, cOffee, chOcOlate & tOfu
Made this for dinner today. Yummy! Don't get scared cuz it's in German, it's translator and really easy to understand.

tanteva

Looks yummy! Can't wait until we can get spring veggies.

faerywings

The Loopy-O
CHEERY O
@tanteva that looks good, I love hummus. I have never roasted a lemon (broiled slices, never roasted) but I bet it really brings out the flavor. Do you think you could use canned chick peas instead of cooking dried? That is how I usually make hummus.

As long as we are here-- do you have any experience cooking with seitan? I made a Mongolian "Beef" recipe last week and Cait wasn't crazy about the texture, I also have some tempeh and have no idea what to do with it.
TIA!

tanteva

@faerywings I used canned. Too much job to cook myself.

I'm not a fan of seitan. Made a Stewart and we actually tossed half of it. The texture reminds me of liver. *puke*

Tempeh is ok, but I prefer tofu. I used tempeh for "meat" in a wrap with veggies. Also good in Chinese/Thai food.

tanteva

We just had this for dinner:

DIVINE!

Cherylndesigns

I'm in The Zone ~ The "O" Zone
CHEERY O
@faerywings Chris, you asked me to post the recipe I made for dinner here. I'm subscribing to the Hungry Root Food Box and when I took the long profile questionnaire, I was Vegan/Vegetarian/Mediterranean - which didn't surprise me (maybe the Vegan part a little), but I don't ever eat much meat. Anyhoo, you get ingredients, then recipes and here's the one I made that was so yummy:

Braised Lemon Grass Tofu Nuggets
Black Lentils (they came in a sauce)
Chopped Broccoli
Avocado Crema (it's like sauce and is SO good)

I lightly browned the tofu in olive oil, added the rest of the ingredients and let them simmer in a covered skillet.
I added a dollop of Caesar Dressing (don't know if that's legit or not, but it added a little zest.

I'm so new at this, but I have always loved tofu.

faerywings

The Loopy-O
CHEERY O
Thank you for posting this. Did you use dried lemongrass?

I have a tofu recipe that I made for Cait and Tom last week that they said was excellent
Let me dig that up now before I forget.

Here it is:
Crispy Vegan Lemon Tofu
I made a similar breading for chicken cutlets for the omnivores and vegan lemon pasta on the side.
The key to that pasta recipe is to *not* use Goya coconut milk. Even the unsweetened still tastes too much like coconut.

tanteva

Oh, I have tofu in the press for tomorrow. Had other plans, but maybe we'll get to the store later tonight & I can get lemon & panko.

Cherylndesigns

I'm in The Zone ~ The "O" Zone
CHEERY O
Thank you for posting this. Did you use dried lemongrass?

I have a tofu recipe that I made for Cait and Tom last week that they said was excellent
Let me dig that up now before I forget.

Here it is:
Crispy Vegan Lemon Tofu
I made a similar breading for chicken cutlets for the omnivores and vegan lemon pasta on the side.
The key to that pasta recipe is to *not* use Goya coconut milk. Even the unsweetened still tastes too much like coconut.
I "cheated" my tofu came in a bag and it had the lemongrass already in it. With the food box, all I have to do is read the recipes and open the packages. :lol23:

faerywings

The Loopy-O
CHEERY O
Oh, I have tofu in the press for tomorrow. Had other plans, but maybe we'll get to the store later tonight & I can get lemon & panko.
Tom got a press for Christmas but I have to do it old school-- cast iron pan on top of the block. Does it make a big difference? Maybe I can ask him to borrow it for a week and give it a try.
Hope you like it if you make it!

tanteva

Tom got a press for Christmas but I have to do it old school-- cast iron pan on top of the block. Does it make a big difference? Maybe I can ask him to borrow it for a week and give it a try.
Hope you like it if you make it!

The press is great! So much easier. I bought a cheap one from Amazon.

faerywings

The Loopy-O
CHEERY O
Vegan Dijon Rosemary Sheet Pan Dinner
This super quick and healthy vegan Dijon rosemary sheet pan dinner is so incredibly flavor, so satisfying and comforting. Tofu, baby potatoes and broccoli are tossed in a Dijon rosemary vinaigrette, spread out all together and then just roasted in the oven. The tofu gets firm and crisp, the broccoli juicy and brown and the potatoes bursting and golden.

faerywings

The Loopy-O
CHEERY O
I am so glad this thread is still going :)
Way back when it first started, I hadn't even met Tom yet. He is officially moving in here today since he and my DD haven't had any luck finding a house or apartment before their wedding in September.
I am stocking up on some vegan ingredients and quick meals for him but I know I'm going to come back to this when I need to make actual dinners.

tanteva

My newest I-need-something-quick favorite is to fry stuff up & serve with spaghetti. Last time I took 1 onion (cut to strips), garlic, chopped cashews, olives, and a couple of tomatoes (chopped in large chunks). Chili flakes and herbs. Yummy!

I basically take 1 onion, garlic, a couple of tomatoes & whatever veggies I have at home and fry up in oil. Great way to use up leftovers and "sad" veggies.