Oscraps

RECIPES: Vegetarian/Vegan

Cherylndesigns

CHEERY O
If you don't mind frozen/microwave foods, Stouffer's makes a wonderful Veggie Lasagna. I absolutely love it. The kids all do too, so that's a testament. I've tried other frozen veggie lasagnas, but non are as good as theirs.

faerywings

The Loopy-O
CHEERY O
I have one on my freezer but I usually cook that when we have family parties b/c it is so big. Alas-- no parties for the last year and a half and it is now just sitting in there taking up space. ;)

tanteva

hOney, i'm hOme
CHEERY O
Made a fantastic soup yesterday. It's from the WW-app, but I changed it a bit (of course, I'm not one for following instructions LOL). I'll try and write down what I did.

IMG_20210604_183346WEB.jpg
Ratatouille Soup
This serves 2, but just add whatever if you want to make more - it's a versatile recipe.
  • Chop/dice in small pieces: 1/2 zucchini, 1 onion, 1 garlic clove & 1/2 bell pepper.
  • Put into a pan with: 1 can of chopped tomatoes, 1/2 cup water, 1/2 stock cube and spices to taste: salt, pepper, paprika powder, rosemary & time.
  • Simmer for about 20 minutes.
  • Add about 1/2-1 teaspoon of both white balsamic vinegar & honey.
  • Add more water if needed/wanted. Taste to see if you want more spices.
  • You can blend it if you want a smooth soup, but I really liked it with all the bits in it.
I served it with garlic bread and topped the soup with chopped spring onions, but you can use whatever bread and topping you prefer. Full of taste but not too spicy (if you don't want to, like me, and go kinda overboard with the cayenne pepper :) )

tanteva

hOney, i'm hOme
CHEERY O
https://rainbowplantlife.com/how-to-eat-well-on-a-budget/

Get a pdf with a few recipes with grocery list included.
(Replying to my own post cuz I love talking to myself LOL)

Just watched the video that she's linking to in this blog post - I know I'm a bit nerdy when it comes to cooking and food, but I really love watching other people cook food. She had some really great ideas in this video - and I love the idea of cooking "building blocks" like she calls it - I do that a lot too.

tanteva

hOney, i'm hOme
CHEERY O
Here it is - LMK if it's weird in any way:

Ok, I know saffron is expensive, but I love it! I have no idea if it's cheaper or more expensive over there? I usually stockpile during the weeks before Christmas (often on sale then because we make these special Christmas buns in Sweden that have saffron in them).

This is basically a sort of luxury dinner, just because it has saffron in it. Also, beluga lentils are a bit more expensive than other lentils, but they are sooo much better.

Conversions are a bit hard - 1 cup = 2 1/2 dl - but I leave both measurements and you can just wing it a little bit. Proportions aren't that important - do as you like LOL

Standard size for a can of tomatoes in Sweden are about 400 g (14 ounce)

Creamy tomato and saffron pasta with beluga lentils
4 servings

1/2 dl (1/4 cup) beluga lentils + 1 1/2 dl (5/8 cup) water + 1/2 tsp herbal salt

400-500 g (14-18 ounce) pasta of choice (or basically - how much pasta you would cook for 4 servings)

1 Tbsp olive oil
2 cloves of garlic
1 small onion
1 tsp chili flakes (or to taste)
2 Tbsp pureed tomatoes
1 dl (3/8 cup) white wine (I use non-alcoholic cooking wine)
1 can of whole cherry tomatoes (I've used plain crushed as well)
1 packet of saffron (envelopes in Sweden contain 0,5 g (0.02 ounce), basically a pinch)
2 dl (4/5 of a cup) plant-based cream (I prefear oat based)
2 Tbsp chopped dill (frozen or fresh - dried, I guess you'd take about 2 tsp)
juice and zest from 1/2 lemon
Salt & Pepper to taste

Start by boiling/simmering the lentils in the water with herbal salt for about 15-20 minutes. Meanwhile prepare the sauce.

Chop the onion and garlic and let it sizzle in a large pan in the oil for a couple of minutes, careful to not burn the onion. Add tomato puree and stir. Add wine and simmer to reduce a bit.

Cut the lemon into wedges, and finely cut the zest. (I never use the zest - don't like it)

Cook the pasta in lots of salty water.

Add the canned tomatoes to the pan, add the saffron. Let simmer. Add the cream when it's a few minutes left of the pasta's cooking time. Taste to see if you want/need salt and pepper.

Save about 1 dl (3/8 cup) of the cooking water of the pasta when draining it. Remove the sauce pan from the heat. Add the lentils, sill, lemon zest and finally the pasta. If needed, add the pasta water.

Serve with lemon wedge (to squeeze over) and coarsely ground black pepper.

[Recipe translated from the Swedish blog Vegokäk: https://vegokak.se/recept/kramig-vegansk-tomat-saffranspasta-med-belugalinser/]

tanteva

hOney, i'm hOme
CHEERY O
Ended up making this for dinner today. Had to wing it a bit, cuz I didn't have all the ingredients at home. Dang, it's good!

IMG_20210608_183608web.jpg