Oscraps

A Discovery of Witches

VickiStegall

Administrator
Designer
CHEERY O
So, here's what I do.... I have more than one Kindle so I will download an entire series from the library (so I can binge read lol) and then I just don't turn the wi-fi on until I've finished reading the whole series. This way, I can take my time and noone is stuck waiting for me to return it.

So, why do I have more than one Kindle you ask? That way I can download the next group of books if I've had some on hold or been waiting on something on the other Kindle and don't miss out on my turn :)

wombat146

ONA - Administrator
CHEERY O
So, here's what I do.... I have more than one Kindle so I will download an entire series from the library (so I can binge read lol) and then I just don't turn the wi-fi on until I've finished reading the whole series. This way, I can take my time and noone is stuck waiting for me to return it.

So, why do I have more than one Kindle you ask? That way I can download the next group of books if I've had some on hold or been waiting on something on the other Kindle and don't miss out on my turn :)

Good thinking Vicki! :) but I am old-fashioned, I prefer to sit and read with REAL book ........... just feels so much more comfy and relaxing for me. :) lol! yeah! I know, I am a dinosaur!!! :pound:

faerywings

The Loopy-O
CHEERY O

OMG- you are hysterical!!! Great workaround!

faerywings

The Loopy-O
CHEERY O
Jane- what a great find on your flight! Yeah, Matthew and Marcus really didn't click for me either.

Angie and Ona-- that is me with Outlander Book 9, too. It is killing me!

VickiStegall

Administrator
Designer
CHEERY O
Good thinking Vicki! :) but I am old-fashioned, I prefer to sit and read with REAL book ........... just feels so much more comfy and relaxing for me. :) lol! yeah! I know, I am a dinosaur!!! :pound:

I went back and forth at first because I missed actual books too, but then I discovered the Text to Speech feature. This enabled me to listen to my books while doing chores and in the car. And, when I want to read again, I don't have to find where I am, I just pick up where it left off. And, I don't have to pay for audio books this way :)

I will admit that the computer voice takes some getting used to and one of the early books had me very confused. You see, it reads what it thinks are abbreviations as the whole word. So, for several chapters I thought this young lady's name was Mississippi because it was reading Miss as Mississippi :) Oh, and another good one - Street for St. John.

wombat146

ONA - Administrator
CHEERY O
I will admit that the computer voice takes some getting used to and one of the early books had me very confused. You see, it reads what it thinks are abbreviations as the whole word. So, for several chapters I thought this young lady's name was Mississippi because it was reading Miss as Mississippi :) Oh, and another good one - Street for St. John.

:pound: :pound: oh dear! that would have been hilarious, as well as confusing.

Many years ago I had RSI in my left hand, wrist and arm. The doctor said no typing for 6 weeks. Of course I was working and I couldn't afford to take time off. My workplace purchased me a voice recognition software program, whereby I could dictate instead of having to type. The program was called Dragon Talking and of course my hubby thought THAT was hilarious!!!! The guy I shared an office with was in hysterics for most of the time, listening to me dictate the text AND everything else I said unless I switched the little button off in the microphone/headset!! So initially it included any aside-type comments I made, all cursing-type words, and even my responses on a telephone conversation!!!!! I REALLY had to double check all of my emails and letters that were sent out to make they made sense!! lol!!!

That was the longest six weeks of my life!!! and poor Mark's as well!! :pound: :pound:

VickiStegall

Administrator
Designer
CHEERY O
lol I tried that software when I was still in school thinking it would help me with my thesis but I spent more time proofing and correcting than it saved me lol

faerywings

The Loopy-O
CHEERY O
Ona-- that is so funny!!
When I get a photo text while I am in my car, the number of the jpg gets read out in full. So the text becomes "one million, two hundred sixty eight thousand, five hundred eleven dot jay pee gee." Took me a couple of times before my brain could translate that. ;)

wombat146

ONA - Administrator
CHEERY O
Ona-- that is so funny!!
When I get a photo text while I am in my car, the number of the jpg gets read out in full. So the text becomes "one million, two hundred sixty eight thousand, five hundred eleven dot jay pee gee." Took me a couple of times before my brain could translate that. ;)

:rofl: of for goodness sakes, that would annoy the crap out of me!!! lol!! I can image how your brain was trying to compute the first time it did it! hahahaaaaa!!! :pound:

wombat146

ONA - Administrator
CHEERY O
lol I tried that software when I was still in school thinking it would help me with my thesis but I spent more time proofing and correcting than it saved me lol

YES!! exactly!! trying to actually correct anything but so time consuming...... all in all the whole experience was terrible! :pound:

nightshadow

Elaina/aka Nightshadow

I had the same experience trying to use "Dragon Speaking".
The software misunderstood me more than half the time and I never could figure out how to do numbers in numerical form (I'm not even sure it's possible.)

I think the problem may be that the software is geared to the U.S MidWest ac cent, not New York's. LOL

wombat146

ONA - Administrator
CHEERY O
I had the same experience trying to use "Dragon Speaking".
The software misunderstood me more than half the time and I never could figure out how to do numbers in numerical form (I'm not even sure it's possible.)

I think the problem may be that the software is geared to the U.S MidWest ac cent, not New York's. LOL

:pound: :pound: Well no wonder it didn't work for me!!!!!! :pound: No doubt couldn't understand my Aussie accent!!! lol!!! :rofl:

VickiStegall

Administrator
Designer
CHEERY O
Y'all, I am totally midwest and it didn't understand me either. That said, Siri and Alexa always understand me when they don't anyone else around me lol

faerywings

The Loopy-O
CHEERY O
I think the problem may be that the software is geared to the U.S MidWest accent, not New York's. LOL
Hmm... I wonder how it would react to me asking for "cawfee" or chatting about my "dawgs." Jersey accent here, which gets noticeably stronger when I am angry :p