Oscraps

A Discovery of Witches

faerywings

The Loopy-O
CHEERY O
Have any of you read the trilogy by Deborah Harkness? I loved the books and when it went on TV in the UK I was pretty jealous. Good news- it is coming to AMC tonight so I am pretty happy about that.
I know, the books are going to be better, aren't they always? But I am looking forward to watching.

VickiStegall

Administrator
Designer
CHEERY O
I haven't read it but the commercials intrigue me. What do you think, watch tv show first or books first?

faerywings

The Loopy-O
CHEERY O
I always seem to read books first and then watch. When I see something on TV or movie, then try to read the book, the visual images get in the way of what I am reading. Or the storylines are so different that I can't comprehend the difference. I tried to read Lord of the Rings after watching the movies and it was impossible for me. It is easier for me to go the other way around- watch a show/movie and ignore the differences.
We will probably watch the show tonight since we dvr'd it. I will have to let you know.

AZK

Queen of the Universe
CHEERY O
I've read the books and loved them! I don't have AMC so I won't be able to watch the series, but I have to say that the actor they chose to play Matthew doesn't fit my mental image from the books enough, so I think it would bother me.

wombat146

ONA - Administrator
CHEERY O
ooooh! this sounds interesting!! I am like you Chris, I like to read the book first and Angie, totally agree with you on that the actor/actress not fitting the mental image in my head when I have read a book! :)

Will look forward to hearing more about the series Chris! :)

faerywings

The Loopy-O
CHEERY O
My "one episode in" review--
Not 100% sold on Matthew either. I think I imagined him both stockier/muscular but a softer/gentler face. Not quite so chiseled. I think he comes across that way to me because I know more of his character as the story progresses.
OTOH- Sarah and Em and the house-- thought that was really cute, well done.

The show itself is starting out bland. Again that could be my bias b/c I know what is going to happen. I don't think Gary cared for it all that much but he always falls asleep when we watch TV so :noidea: :D

faerywings

The Loopy-O
CHEERY O
So, now I have seen the first two episodes and I am not thrilled with it. Makes me sad because I really wanted to be. Maybe it is too soon make a full opinion but it is so bland esecially compared to the books. I will have to give it another couple of times before I decide completely.

wombat146

ONA - Administrator
CHEERY O
LOL! Well your guys must have been quick readers! I am still waiting! LOL!!! oh!!! I just checked and I have just one more person in front of me! yay!! the last time I looked I think I was about the 15th or something!!! Looking forward to reading them! :)

Madi

Diane
CHEERY O
I liked the trailers i found on the net but it is not on tv here so i read the books.
No waiting list in our library, maybe because it is not on tv here (yet).
I loved reading most of it.
I like reading series esp if there is a last book and The story has an ending.

faerywings

The Loopy-O
CHEERY O
I did end up enjoying the first season on TV as it went along. It is always an adjustment for my brain to accept a TV character compared to the person that I imagine from a book. Matthew and Marcus were very different in my head than on the screen.

Enjoy the books!

VickiStegall

Administrator
Designer
CHEERY O
I don't know why I didn't set the TV show to record when it first started. Now that I'm reading the books, I'm left wondering how I'll watch the show when I finish. Ah, first world problems.... lol

wombat146

ONA - Administrator
CHEERY O
Well I am half way through the first book and loving it! I can't find the tv series down here but I am not too worried as the joy of reading a good book far outweighs seeing it on screen I think. :) and funnily enough, the book I have actually has the picture of the two actors on the front of it so I am 'imagining' them as I read......... so at least there will be no big drama for me if I ever do get to see the series, as the main actors will be familiar to me!! lol!! :pound: Unlike the Outlander, I won't have imagined them looking totally different! :)

faerywings

The Loopy-O
CHEERY O
As always, the books are better. :p
But having the pictures of the actors on the cover would make it much easier for the brain to make that transition, for sure!

VickiStegall

Administrator
Designer
CHEERY O
I'm finished with those three and loved them! I'm now reading the first in her next series which is Time's Convert. It's all about Marcus - his history and something that might be a spoiler for anyone just starting the series so I won't say for sure who the other focus of this book is. :)

And, Ona, I totally agree about preconceived ideas of what they look like and Outlander not matching that AT ALL lol

wombat146

ONA - Administrator
CHEERY O
So happy that there are more books to come!! Love reading these saga type novels!!! :) :dance::dance:

faerywings

The Loopy-O
CHEERY O
Vicki- I read Time's Convert a few months ago and liked it a lot! I am so glad that you are enjoying the series. Helen H and Lisa H are the ones who got me into this series when they were Cheery Os here. They always had good book recs.

Ona-in Outlander- Jamie is the only one who "matched" in my head. But the more I watch, the easier it is to see them as I did when I read them. Lord John was a tough one to accept at first but now I cannot remember why I felt that way ;)

wombat146

ONA - Administrator
CHEERY O
Vicki- I read Time's Convert a few months ago and liked it a lot! I am so glad that you are enjoying the series. Helen H and Lisa H are the ones who got me into this series when they were Cheery Os here. They always had good book recs.

Ona-in Outlander- Jamie is the only one who "matched" in my head. But the more I watch, the easier it is to see them as I did when I read them. Lord John was a tough one to accept at first but now I cannot remember why I felt that way ;)

yep, Jamie matched but I couldn't come to grips with Claire and haven't watched anymore after Season 1. lol!

wombat146

ONA - Administrator
CHEERY O
So I just finished the first book of the A Discovery of Witches and I now I have to WAIT before I can read the next one!!! lol!!! It's on hold but there are 10 people in front of me!!! read very fast people!!!!!!!!!!! lol!

faerywings

The Loopy-O
CHEERY O
That is great! Sorry that you have to wait-- get reading, Other People on the Wait List!
I think that is a huge reason that I felt guilty when I had an overdue book. It has only happened once and I was thinking about the people who were waiting for the book after me. :Cry:

janedee

I read the books a couple of years ago and loved the series. I had no idea they'd made a TV series until I found it on the entertainment system on our flight home from Europe!! I managed to watch all the episodes by the time we landed! Good thing too as I haven't seen them listed here at home yet.
I wasn't too sure about Mathew Goode in the role of Mathew Clairmont even though I like him as an actor, but liked him better by the end of the season. I'm still not happy with Marcus though :decision: :icon_frown:

AZK

Queen of the Universe
CHEERY O
So I just finished the first book of the A Discovery of Witches and I now I have to WAIT before I can read the next one!!! lol!!! It's on hold but there are 10 people in front of me!!! read very fast people!!!!!!!!!!! lol!

This is what frustrates me so much when I'm reading series! I binge-read books like other people binge-watch TV shows. Having to wait months or even years for the next book in a series does not make for a happy reader! :pout:

wombat146

ONA - Administrator
CHEERY O
That is great! Sorry that you have to wait-- get reading, Other People on the Wait List!
I think that is a huge reason that I felt guilty when I had an overdue book. It has only happened once and I was thinking about the people who were waiting for the book after me. :Cry:

:pound: That was me on the weekend Chris! The book was due back last Monday and on the Friday before I tried to extend my loan by a week but it was a no go as it was on hold for someone else so I had to read very very fast over the weekend to finish it! lol! I was considering going a day or so over but I felt bad, knowing someone else was waiting on it, like I had been! I have tried all my second-hand online shops to actually buy the series but they were still quite expensive, and now that I have to watch my pennies after my retirement I guess I will need to stick to the library! :)

wombat146

ONA - Administrator
CHEERY O
This is what frustrates me so much when I'm reading series! I binge-read books like other people binge-watch TV shows. Having to wait months or even years for the next book in a series does not make for a happy reader! :pout:

I am another binge reader here Angie, love me a loooooong series of books! :) and yes, having to wait years is such a pain! patiently waiting for the last book of Outlander and of course, who knows about Game of Thrones......... will there ever be a last book??? Both of those book series I have purchased and have re-read them a lot over the years, those are two books I will definitely buy when they come out! :)

wombat146

ONA - Administrator
CHEERY O
Jane, I have still yet to see that series downunder, but I am not holding my breath! lol! I really like Mathew Goode as an actor, loved him in both Downton Abbey and The Good Wife. As I said to Chris in another post, the book I read had him and the leading actress on the front cover so I have imagined them throughout the book, so hopefully it will be okay when I do get to see the series. :)