Oscraps

What is a must have on your Christmas menu?

LSlycord

Looking for new ideas for Christmas dinner. The cookie recipe challenge has me wondering. What must be on your table for it to seem like Christmas dinner?

We have quite a few that are necessary for holiday dinners but the one that is necessary for Christmas is Black Bottom Eggnog pie. I’ve been doing that for 35+ years.

What is yours?

faerywings

The Loopy-O
CHEERY O
recipe please for Eggnog Pie!!

Christmas is a 2-day holiday in my family. Christmas Eve is at my mom's and she always has lasagna, meatballs, and ham. She also makes quiches for appetizers.
Christmas Day is at my house and it is usually just finger-food types things. I make a roasted red pepper dip, spinach and artichoke dip, and creamy bruschetta. The kids ask for those every year. The rest of the family will begin some snacks and my mom will bring leftover ham so people who want to eat "real" food can have that.

Buddy the O' Elf

CHEERY O
Well the big guy in the red suit keeps us so very busy that really, we mainly get hot chocolate, Christmas cookies and eggnog on our menu. However, I do have a hint for all of you hot chocolate fans. Add some Andes Peppermint Crunch mints before topping with marshmallows and whipped cream. Super delicious.

bcgal00

CHEERY O
Turkey, stuffing, cranberry sauce, mashed potatoes and gravy. I eat all of that but not the turkey. I am going to make a vegan meatloaf for myself. I always have plum pudding with brown sauce (my mom and grandma's fave, that I grew up with). Xmas morning we always have crumpets (again, mom and grandma's fave). We always have butter tarts and rice krispie squares for snacking, along with whatever cookies/squares I bake. Hubs only bakes once a year and the week of Xmas he makes his mom's recipe for Jam-Jam cookies.

mywisecrafts

CHEERY O
Looking for new ideas for Christmas dinner. The cookie recipe challenge has me wondering. What must be on your table for it to seem like Christmas dinner?

We have quite a few that are necessary for holiday dinners but the one that is necessary for Christmas is Black Bottom Eggnog pie. I’ve been doing that for 35+ years.

What is yours?
wine. LOL. does that count? I actually prefer Jamaican inspired food for Thanksgiving and Christmas. When I do the cooking, sweet potato soufflé, cranberry salad, homemade mac and cheese (mine will literally clog your arteries just by looking at it) and pumpkin pie tarts are a must. This year we actually decided to eat out for Christmas. Actually excited about that as, normally we are traveling and while we are usually at a beautiful destination we end up doing our normal low key blend in with the locals. This year it will be about enjoying the feast without the mess.

LSlycord

wine. LOL. does that count? I actually prefer Jamaican inspired food for Thanksgiving and Christmas. When I do the cooking, sweet potato soufflé, cranberry salad, homemade mac and cheese (mine will literally clog your arteries just by looking at it) and pumpkin pie tarts are a must. This year we actually decided to eat out for Christmas. Actually excited about that as, normally we are traveling and while we are usually at a beautiful destination we end up doing our normal low key blend in with the locals. This year it will be about enjoying the feast without the mess.
I think that I might be a bit jealous...I would really enjoy eating out but each time I mention it, the kids have a fit. So I guess I'm cooking again this year! I don't really mind and it brings back years of memories!

tjscraps

Turkey. And I make these Triple Layer bars - they are a must have for me! It's got a graham cracker base, coconut middle and then chocolate and peanut butter top. Love them!

tanteva

all i need is Oscraps, cOffee, chOcOlate & tOfu
Well ... I did a layout about Christmas dinner just last week:

We eat "smörgåsbord" (usually called "julbord" (i.e. "Christmas table" on Christmas). Lots of small dishes and every family probably have their own version. The main things are potato, ham, meat balls, pickled herring and sausages. The photos on the layout are my vegetarian version. I've added a couple of other stuff over the years.

Here's a recipe for Swedish meat balls for you all. I usually quadruple this for Christmas.

Swedish meatballs
4 servings

14 oz ground beef
1 1/2 oz breadcrumbs
6 -7 fl oz milk
1 -1 1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper (traditionally white pepper, but I use black)
2 tps chopped and lightly browned onion or 1 tbs grated raw onion (I use onion powder)

7 fl oz stock
1 1/2 tbs flour
1 3/4 cold water
1 3/4 -3 1/2 fl oz cream (optional)

Soak the breadcrumbs in the milk for about 10 min. Mix the meat with the soaked breadcrumbs and the milk, salt, pepper, and onion. Blend the mix thouroughly. Using your hands, dipped in cold water, or two spoons, form the mixture into small meatballs of uniform size. Place them on a carving board, rinsed with cold water. Brown the meatballs, a few at a time, in a little butter in a frying pan. Shake the pan so they brown evenly. When browned, transfer the meatballs to a saucepan. Deglaze the frying pan with the stock and pour the gravy into the saucepan. Simmer until the meatballs are done, 8 -10 min. Strain the gravy into a saucepan and add enough water or stock to make up 1/2 pint. Mix tha flour with the cold water. Beat this thickening into the boiling gravy. Simmeron low heat, 3 -5 min. Add the cream. Season with salt and pepper. Serve with the sauce, boiled potatoes and a salad.

Lingonberry jam is often used too. That is the traditional way to serve meatballs, but it is used in many other ways. Served with macaroni, or mashed potatoes, it is all childrens favorite. I seldom do the sauce, and I often use more spices. Garlic and cayenne pepper is delicious. Meatballs can be served with everything ... =:) ... Cold meatballs are also perfect for open sandwiches, often with a salad made of beet root.

For Christmas dinner you don't make the gravy, that's just when you make meat balls for dinner. For Christmas there are so much other stuff, the gravy isn't needed. The beet root salad is a perfect match. That's the pink thing you see on my layout. Here's a recipe:

Beetroot Salad

1 apple
1 pickled cucumber
6 medium-sized pickled beetroots or 14 fl oz diced pickled beetroots
3 1/2 fl oz whipping cream or 1/4 pt sour cream
1/2 -1 tbs grated horseradish

Finely dice the peeled and cored apple, the cucumber and the beetroot. Mix all together. Chill for a few hours before serving. Mix the salad with whipped cream or soured cream seasoned with the horseradish.

faerywings

The Loopy-O
CHEERY O
1. Wine counts
2. My DD found a copycat recipe for the mac and cheese from Beetlehouse in NYC. It calls for a quart of heavy cream (yes, a quart!) and 3 cups of shredded cheese. For one pound of pasta. And the four of us eat almost the entire dish in one sitting. I only make it a few times a year and it is to die for. (Almost literally)
3. Feast without the mess. Sounds perfect!

mywisecrafts

CHEERY O
1. Wine counts
2. My DD found a copycat recipe for the mac and cheese from Beetlehouse in NYC. It calls for a quart of heavy cream (yes, a quart!) and 3 cups of shredded cheese. For one pound of pasta. And the four of us eat almost the entire dish in one sitting. I only make it a few times a year and it is to die for. (Almost literally)
3. Feast without the mess. Sounds perfect!
That mac n cheese with a bottle of wine per person is the way to go. Fruits, dairy/protein, grains.... yep, you are covered. That mac n cheese sounds wonderful!

mywisecrafts

CHEERY O
I think that I might be a bit jealous...I would really enjoy eating out but each time I mention it, the kids have a fit. So I guess I'm cooking again this year! I don't really mind and it brings back years of memories!
Just tell them you are coming to have dinner with me! LOL. My kids may think differently when they are older and out of the house, but right now, they are on board because it's less dishes for them. I can dirty up some dishes and a kitchen when I cook. It rivals a war scene.

spotatoe

Turkey, cornbread dressing, sweet potato casserole, green bean casserole, cranberry sauce, gravy, sweet potato pie or Jell-O's Pumpkin Spice pudding pie.

LSlycord

At our house turkey is Thanksgiving and Christmas is ham. But I'm maybe re-thinking the ham. Or maybe not. Who knows? Definitely have sweet potato casserole, green bean casserole and gravy on the menu.
Turkey, cornbread dressing, sweet potato casserole, green bean casserole, cranberry sauce, gravy, sweet potato pie or Jell-O's Pumpkin Spice pudding pie.

faerywings

The Loopy-O
CHEERY O
This year, I decided to do a vegan pasta dish as the main course. I needed something that I can prep in advance, that isn't expensive, easy to eat not at a table, and would be enjoyed but the majority of people in my family. That is not a small ask. Voila! Broccoli Rabe Pasta. It's broc rabe blanched then sauteed in olive oil and (a lot!!!) of fresh garlic. I put that over cavatappi. I can make it earlier in the day and keep it warm in the crock pot.
I'll have some Italian bread and appetizers and dessert to go with in. Perfect!
(Whew, I just crossed off something *huge* on my To-Do list!)

Susan - s3js

CHEERY O
Yum, now I'm hungry! Deviled eggs, mac and cheese, and apple and banana salad. No boxed mac and cheese for this meal. My recipe is one I learned in Home Ec in 1969, just made thicker and with more cheese.