Oscraps

Unblurring old photos

Jam-on-toast

CHEERY O
Sharing with you one of my latest discoveries - Remini photo enhancer that can work magic on your old blurry photos.

Remini comparison.jpg

It exists as a phone app or as an online editor, it is FREE and there is NO editing required - just upload the photo, click the button and voila...

I particularly find the photo app super convenient - I scan a photo, open Remini and see the magic happen. It doesn't work 100% of the time but in about 80% of the cases it does... I can do other restorative work in my photo editor - like remove scratches, add defining outline to clothing, background elements etc...

faerywings

The Loopy-O
CHEERY O
Oh my goodness!! I was working with some old photos (gulps when I realize they were 20 years old) that I scanned of my kids yesterday. I was struggling with getting them sharpened and boosted a bit. I tried Topaz, Nik, different PS Actions, manually in Photoshop.
One click with Remini and I am in awe!!

What a fantastic find!!
ETA: Just a head's up, the web version is only a free 7 day trial but it looks like that App is free.

marijke

I love the O!
CHEERY O
Indeed the web version is a free trial for 7 days ... if you want to use the photos via the app you also have to pay to have a version without watermark on the photo ...

AZK

Queen of the Universe
CHEERY O
This looks awesome! Has anyone gotten past the free trial phase to see what the subscription costs?

Jam-on-toast

CHEERY O
I don't pay anything... 10 euro a week is just insane, but it seems the web version doesn't offer any free enhancements, I didn't know that... oooops... I use the app version, just download the photo the moment it is enhanced and that's it... I've had it for a few months now... no account or anything as I don't log in...... when I upload a photo I click "enhance", there is also an "enhance+" option - that's the one for money, but the basic version is enough...

with a bit of planning, though, one can get all their photos scanned and enhanced within a few days... and then just cancel the subscription, but once again, I have had it for several months now and never paid anything... just checked AppStore and I see the app needs updating... hmmm, not sure what that will do...

faerywings

The Loopy-O
CHEERY O
olga, don't update it! ;)

The difference in the photos after enhancing was huge. If I ever have a project, doing as much as possible for the 7-day trial would make a lot of sense. TFS!

AZK

Queen of the Universe
CHEERY O
in the App I see 2,99 euro/week

for desktop
View attachment 374590
Thank you! I couldn't find any pricing information on the website without actually registering for the free trial, and I didn't want to do that just yet. I might do what Olga @Jam-on-toast and Chris @faerywings suggested---get a bunch of photos ready and then go for it all at once during the trial. That is too expensive for me to justify paying for.

mcurtt

I recently purchased Topaz Lab's Gigapixel AI. It does a great job of fixing/enhancing older images or scanned images, also FB downloads. I bought their trio, DeNoiseAI along with SharpenAI, but I ended up returning those two. I couldn't get them to vary much from Gigapixel. While you pay for Gigapixel, it is just a one-time charge.

tanteva

all i need is Oscraps, cOffee, chOcOlate & tOfu
I recently purchased Topaz Lab's Gigapixel AI. It does a great job of fixing/enhancing older images or scanned images, also FB downloads. I bought their trio, DeNoiseAI along with SharpenAI, but I ended up returning those two. I couldn't get them to vary much from Gigapixel. While you pay for Gigapixel, it is just a one-time charge.

Wow! Does the images really get as much better as it's shown on the web site? I have about the first 3-4 years of my son's life photographed with a crappy Kodak camera, where I had no idea about resolution.

mcurtt

I have been using it on old scanned images. It takes a bit of fussing with it, but yes, it can look that impressive. It uses artificial intelligence, so I've seen some that look a bit cartoonish, but not too horrid. If you have big blotches on your original photo/face, I would clean that up before running it thru the program. The AI doesn't know how to handle that. They have a 30 day return policy. Like I said in my previous post, I bought the trio and ended up returning 2 out of the 3. It works best on faces.

I've also used it on some FB photos and it can really bolster up the resolution and replace it with AI pixels. But a word of caution. I've got a laptop from 2016, and Gigapixel AI is pretty slow on it. But if you are patient, it can be worth it. Since I've got a laptop, I don't have a dedicated graphics card, hence the slow processing time.

bcgal00

CHEERY O
This is going to be useful when I start scanning old photos with my phone. I'll install the app. Thx for letting us know.

easyeyes4you

This sounds interesting. Not sure I consider photos of the kids that are 20 years old as Heritage? today I have been working on my photos of my kids from 1973!!! Yeah, there are some that could really use some help... Going to get this app and see what it does... In the meantime, I scan my photos with Photomyne and it by default enhances the colors and a few things while scanning these photos of my kids... it also has a feature for colorizing B & W that works quite well if you are into that... I paid $5 for it years ago... it is different now, but I believe there is a free version... They have a FB page, but are not much for customer support other than FB where there are lots of people who can offer hints.... off to find this app

easyeyes4you

So I was immedaitely faced with a subscription rate of $4.99 a week... there was a place to select a 1 week free trial, ticked that and I still had to agree to being charged, the 4.99 starting next week... left it sitting for now... did not appear to be useable without a commitment....