Oscraps

scanning question

alyssascrapper

I am just wondering how you guys scan your old photos?
I need to get a whole bunch scanned for our wedding slide show and I'm not sure how to go about it. I have a scanner on my printer but the quality really isn't that great. Is there a place that will scan your pictures for you??? Or, do most of you do it at home?

TIA :)

hondachicc

I scan mine at home...I did not buy a printer with the scanner attached for that reason....You can get a good quality scanner for about $100. I wanted one that would scan my mom and dad's old slides....and negatives into photos. It took me a while to tweak it out...and get the photos to a decent quality...but it works very well.:p

wombat146

ONA - Administrator
CHEERY O
Hey Alyssa! I have a scanner/printer and that's all I use at home. Are you able to tweak the scanner resolution at all? It needs to be at least 300dpi for printing out photos if you are going to do that, I always scan at the highest resolution and of course bring my LO's back to 72dpi when I am saving to put on the web. :)

clarabear

always chatty at the O!!
I scan mine at home...I did not buy a printer with the scanner attached for that reason....You can get a good quality scanner for about $100. I wanted one that would scan my mom and dad's old slides....and negatives into photos. It took me a while to tweak it out...and get the photos to a decent quality...but it works very well.:p

So, you got one for photos and negatives? What do you have??

faerywings

The Loopy-O
CHEERY O
Alyssa, I have an Epson scanner, and it scans really nice. It has a "profession" setting on it and I can really get photos "tweaked" good.
Yes, a 300 dpi option is also a necessity.

If you use PS (not sure about PSE) there is an option to crop photos (starting up PS since I can't remember where it is!)
But keep your photos separated and then you can take the whole sheet (if you scan on one page) and it will straighten and crop each picture out individually.

OK- it is under File>Automate>Crop and Straighten

If you use ACDSee Photo Manager, you can get it to scan several pictures as separate doc's automatically.

katg1006

I also have a home scanner....and I agree a minimum of 300 dpi to scan - higher if you want to enlarged or crop a piece of a photo :)

hondachicc

So, you got one for photos and negatives? What do you have??

I have a HP Scanjet G3110...it has a section on the inside lid that comes out to place negatives or slides to hold them in place then you open the program and go to the slide or negative section and select your settings...also no matter how many pics I put on there at once, I can set it for each photo individually...which is very nice...saves time...of scanning one photo at a time!! AND ITAW 300dpi!! My mom has loved my scanner more than me!! because of all those pictures my dad had to have on slides instead of regular photos!!!