Oscraps

Resizing unsuccessfully

LDArtist

I've been posting pretty successfully, but I'm stumped on this one.
I'm having a problem resizing a page under 250K
Lightroom can't seem to save it under 250K either.

Photoshop says:

Image Size: 90.8K
Dimensions: 200 px x 155 px

Width: 200 Pixels
Height: 155 Pixels
Resolution: 72 Pixels/Inch

It is now the size of a stamp, and I'm going over the limit size.
What am I doing wrong?

Are there some pictures that just can't be successfully resized?

marijke

I love the O!
CHEERY O
I use photoshop for my pages ...
After saving my psd file I do
file - export - save for web
image size 600 x 600 px
jpg - maximum - quality depends of the page size ..
page size = max 250 kb

LDArtist

I have PSCC 2019, It doesn't have the "Save for Web" option. So I save for web in lightroom. When resizing IN LR I tried:

Export>600 pixels
Resolution: 72 pixels per inch.
Limit File Size to 250K

And I received the message:

"Could not create a JPEG that met your limit of 250K bytes."

I tired 400 pixels>72 resolution>250K
Then 200 pixels>72 resolution>250K
Then 100 pixels>72 resolution>250K
Lastly 50 pixels>72 resolution>250K

All produce that error message.

Any ideas? Why is this particular page sizing so large? Has this happened to anyone else?
Any ideas of what it might be?
Some box I haven't checked....

Just really stumped on this one.... ???

LDArtist

Yea, something is wrong. I just tried to "Export" it at 2 pixel (two pixels) - 72 resolution, 250K....

"Could not create a JPEG that met your limit of 250K bytes."

That's impossible.

I've got my photographers friends on it.....

VickiStegall

Administrator
Designer
CHEERY O
Try copying the flattened image and pasting in to a new document. Then try saving that new document.

VickiStegall

Administrator
Designer
CHEERY O
Also, you can send it to me at support @oscraps.com and I'll be happy to see what i can do with it.

wombat146

ONA - Administrator
CHEERY O
I use PS CC2019 and here are the steps, hope this helps :)

attachment.php

Attachments

• Save for web 800.jpg
    Save for web 800.jpg
    522.6 KB · Views: 40

wombat146

ONA - Administrator
CHEERY O
For Step 7 above, when you go to save the Web version, put the word 'web' in your filename so you know it is the web size.

Not sure of just want files you are saving, personally I save my PSD file in one folder, in an another identically name folder I save the full resolutions jpeg (3600x3600 pixels and 330 dpi resolution). Then I have another folder with the name of the kit/designer where I save my 600x600 px 72dpi, web version papers. I used an external hard drive so I am not worried about the space.

• I often use my PSD files as templates, to create another layout, changing out papers and elements and photos.
  • The full resolution jpeg file is used for printing, if I want to create an album or anything.
  • The web size page I post online or attach to emails.

So depending on just what files you are keeping, you need to click Yes or No when you go to close down the jpeg file in Photoshop. No will keep your full resolution at the 3600x3600, whereas clicking Yes will save your resized layout as a web version.

Please holler if you need any further assistance. :)

JustJayne

Excellent information Ona. I normally save even my web versions as 1500 x 1500 and the file size is around the 1 MB mark. Took me some playing around to get the file size down to 250 kb. I managed to get them to 1000 x 1000 at about 60 percent quality. (Bigger is better for my eyes)

wombat146

ONA - Administrator
CHEERY O
Hi Jayne :)

For the O gallery, the size ("dimensions") will appear the same in the gallery, whether it is a 600x600 or 1000x1000......... the important bit is the actual file size ("weight"), which should be under 250kb. :)

FloridaGranny

I just had the re-size problem with my latest layout. Although the original psd file was about the same size as most of my layouts, and I followed the same steps as I've been doing for all my other Oscraps layouts, for some reason it just would not go below about 500kb, too large for our gallery. Thanks, Vicki and everyone, for the tips! After flattening the psd file I saved for web, got a message that I would be losing quality, ignored that and saved anyway. It saved as a gif which I was able to convert to a jpeg. Then I was able to reduce the pixels to 72 and the dimensions to 600 px and, this time, all was well. Whew! Interestingly I finished another layout I'd been working on, and this time there was no problem! Who knows why these things happen??? I'm just glad for all the tips you've included here.
Thanks!!

wombat146

ONA - Administrator
CHEERY O
I just had the re-size problem with my latest layout. Although the original psd file was about the same size as most of my layouts, and I followed the same steps as I've been doing for all my other Oscraps layouts, for some reason it just would not go below about 500kb, too large for our gallery. Thanks, Vicki and everyone, for the tips! After flattening the psd file I saved for web, got a message that I would be losing quality, ignored that and saved anyway. It saved as a gif which I was able to convert to a jpeg. Then I was able to reduce the pixels to 72 and the dimensions to 600 px and, this time, all was well. Whew! Interestingly I finished another layout I'd been working on, and this time there was no problem! Who knows why these things happen??? I'm just glad for all the tips you've included here.
Thanks!!

I have had this happen sometimes over the years that I have been digi scrapping, in various versions of PSE and in Photoshop itself. The majority of these layouts were the times that I used a PSD template file.

Didn't matter that the templates were created by different designers. This happened when I opened the actual PSD template and then saved it with a new name before starting work with it. Whether it was just a glitch with my own program settings I don't know but I have gotten into the routine now of opening a blank 12x12 and then opening the template. In the template file I select all the layers and then copy them across to the new blank file (dragging the layers across). Sounds weird I know but I have been doing this now for around 10.5 years now and haven't had any more problems. LOL! :biggrin:

For the couple of layouts where I wasn't using a template, I copied all the layers from it, into a brand new blank file and saved it and the problem was fixed! Don't ask me why!! lol! Perhaps try that next time it happens and see if that works. :)

FloridaGranny

Thanks, Ona. I'm glad I'm not the only one who has had this happen. :D
And that's interesting about the templates. This time I didn't use one, but I'll keep it mind for the future. PSE keeps us on our toes, lol.

VickiStegall

Administrator
Designer
CHEERY O
I always just copy my finished layout into a new file of only one layer. Resize then save that and don't ever have any issue. Have you tried that?

FloridaGranny

Saving into a single layer file, then re-sizing, is what I always do, and this is the first time I've had a problem with the file size not reducing. (I'm blaming gremlins or perhaps the earth being out of orbit, lol). But if it happens again, I will definitely send it to you to try. You are a life-saver, Vicki! Thank you.

annaaspnes

annaaspnes
Designer
In the NEW PSCC 2020 File> Save for Web has been removed from the menu

You can still however access it via the shortcut:
CTRL (CMD) + ALT (OPT) + SHIFT + S

Enter your 500 X 500 pixels at 72 DPI in the bottom right of the panel and SAVE.

wombat146

ONA - Administrator
CHEERY O
In the NEW PSCC 2020 File> Save for Web has been removed from the menu

You can still however access it via the shortcut:
CTRL (CMD) + ALT (OPT) + SHIFT + S

Enter your 500 X 500 pixels at 72 DPI in the bottom right of the panel and SAVE.

Hi Anna, I still have that option in PSCC 2020 but it's under the Export option in the File menu, as Marijke mentioned above. :) Don't know about you but I just hate it Adobe does updates on PSCC!! lol! :)