Oscraps

our new friends...

LaughingSun

look what I found coming in and out of the yard under the fence this morning!!

IMG_0714x600.jpg

And they've been doing it all day. they must live REAL close lol. SOOO cute. but I'm using ZOOM and not getting too close hehe.

LaughingSun

nope, just kitties... and I think they're about the same size as the adult skunks lol. Yes, I didn't get too close. They were just scrounging and at one point they were getting closer and closer to me with out noticing me... so I was backing up as quietly but FAST as I could lol.

pennynoel

They sure are cute ... from far away! One of the girls here in my office just had a skunk get in her house and she had to lock it in the bathroom until animal control could come and catch it. She was a little stinky.... (I think it was hydrogen peroxide that took care of that smelliness.)

Ellen

oh how cute a whole family and nice to see them in the wild .
bless those zoom lenses :D

LaughingSun

neighbors dogs were out today lol... didn't see them that whole time although by the way the dogs were barking I'll bet they saw them!

hondachicc

OH MY Andrea!!!! they look cute in the photo...but...........woohoo would not want to get close!!

We have them in our backyard too, but only at night....we never see them...so how do we know they are there??? we :censored: smell them!!! Oh my it can be really bad sometimes!!! I think they have nests in the drainage ditch that runs between the property line of the houses behind us...and at night, cats roam around and scare them...

wombat146

ONA - Administrator
CHEERY O
as we don't have them downunder I have noooo idea of what they smell like but by the sounds of it it has to be BAD!!! great photo Andrea, and they do look cute!! :)

katg1006

Oh Ona...they smell terrible!! :eek2: I just don't know how something that cute can smell that terrible!! The worst part is if they spray you - it's sooo hard to get rid of the smell.

LaurieW

lOve the O!
I have an entire 2 page paper layout about all the skunk stories in my family- and a few more to add, umm like my father always saying if you held a skunk by the tail it couldn't spray you- yeah I was there when this was attempted to enable shooting the skunk that was in the calf barn- don't worry it didn't get shot the person holding it got sprayed and swung it so much the person with the gun couldn't shoot it - never did return.

LaurieW

lOve the O!
and then there is the story of my son telling me that there was a skunk outside that must have confused our black dog with the white stripe on it's chest for it's mother one morning as he did his chore of feeding the dog- had my fil shoot it as it was acting funny and health dept test it and sure enough- rabid- dog was fine his shots were up to date!

Want more??

LaurieW

lOve the O!
okay - one of my brothers went to feed the horses and thought it was a barn kitty, but it was a skunk curled up in the food bin

SueCummings

Defined + Designed
Designer
as we don't have them downunder I have noooo idea of what they smell like but by the sounds of it it has to be BAD!!! great photo Andrea, and they do look cute!! :)

ONA!!! they do stink really really bad...but
apparently can make great pets if their glands for stinkiness are removed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dCBpVeoddwo

Andrea!!! Keep using the zoom...we had a family of skunks living under our porch.
We hired a person who removed them and released them in a safe place for them (heavily wooded area).

Last edited by a moderator:

LaughingSun

ya Sue, I'm wondering if our neighbors did that, didn't see them all day. in a way I'm hoping they'll be back tomorrow so I can try and get more pics lol. but if not, I hope they've found a great new home somewhere safe!

LaughingSun

neighbors put down moth balls :( ah well, it was good while it lasted lol. they were bound to become pests sooner or later lol.