Oscraps

Online Back Up

clarabear

always chatty at the O!!
So, I was just reading about Amanda's woes of having several years worth of corrupt pictures on FB and it got me thinking that maybe it is time I started looking into online storage. I'm really bad about back up.

So, how does online back up work?

Where do you use?

What type of fees are there?

How do I know it is a good company and my files will still be there in 10 years and I won't lose those too?

I know nothing give me the WHOLE scoop on this.

LaughingSun

sorry can't help. we have a server at home with has several hard drives so we back up to there. yep, we're geeks lol. when we had the house built in 2000 DH came in and wired it to have Ethernet & cable in EVERY room (except the bathrooms, although the masterbath does have cable hehe)

Ellen

I'm backing up with Mozy at the moment. You pay a yearly fee of about
£ 35 /$46 if you use a discount code
It takes quite a while for all the files to be uploaded . you can tell it which files to back up. The difference between Mozy and Carbonite is that Mozy backs up external drives and as far as I know Carbonite does not.

You may think that an external drive is enough to back up on but from my own experience.. my new external harddrive gave the ghost after only 2 weeks with all my duplicated files on it. You get a new one of course but your files are gone.
Once your stuff is uploaded Mozy automatically backs up any changes it encrypts your files so no one else can read them.

you can try both Mozy and Carbonite for a month for free.

pajhnubhlis

Clara, I would love to know the answers to your questions as well. I feel so bad reading about Amanda's corrupted files. I dropped my external hard drive during Thanksgiving week last year and it crushed. My husband spent five days working on retrieving all the stuff. He was able to retrieved the majority of my things but so many pictures of my daughter's first year were broken (I cried). All my digital kits were gone (I cried some more, luckily I was able to re-download all the ones I bought here). I spent a couple of weeks after that going through 80,000+ files, sorting through them and renaming them. We now have a wireless external hard drive that stays in the basement but I am always afraid that it'll crushed too. So if anyone have the answers Clara's questions, please, please share with us.

pajhnubhlis

I'm backing up with Mozy at the moment. You pay a yearly fee of about
£ 35 /$46 if you use a discount code
It takes quite a while for all the files to be uploaded . you can tell it which files to back up. The difference between Mozy and Carbonite is that Mozy backs up external drives and as far as I know Carbonite does not.

You may think that an external drive is enough to back up on but from my own experience.. my new external harddrive gave the ghost after only 2 weeks with all my duplicated files on it. You get a new one of course but your files are gone.
Once your stuff is uploaded Mozy automatically backs up any changes it encrypts your files so no one else can read them.

you can try both Mozy and Carbonite for a month for free.

I will have to check these sites out! Thank you so much for sharing!

hondachicc

I have talked to some technical support people about this...none of the people I have talked to do not use online service...they say they believe it's not safe enough just yet. hmmmm....I have a 3 years subscription to DellDataSafe that came with my computer...but I don't use it...because I was worried who would have access to my files....that's what I am always asking when I talk to anyone in technical support that has to do with my computer.

LadyK

Another suggestion is Backblaze. I have lots of photographer friends and they either use Backblaze or Mozy. Backblaze does external hard drives as well but you have to plug it in every month or 3 months ... I'm not sure. I forget. But it'll update as you go so if you delete something off your computer/ehd, it will do the same. It's an online BACK-UP of what you have... not storage. It's $5/month or $50/yr last time I checked.

faerywings

The Loopy-O
CHEERY O
I had asked this at DST before the holidays and a lot of people there liked Carbonite.

Do any of them have free trials?

katg1006

I have talked to some technical support people about this...none of the people I have talked to do not use online service...they say they believe it's not safe enough just yet.

That is what scares me.....I am always afraid to use online backups because of the privacy - how do you know who has access? or how safe it is from hackers...kwim?

N

NewAdmin

the person i refer to as my "tech guy" is actually a dear friend of ours... he was our neighbor before we moved last month. this guy is a GENIOUS. he works for dell as a senior tech and as long as we've known him, there has YET to be a situation that we've brought to him that he wasn't able to fix.

anyway... when i asked him about online storage, he did not hesitate in recommending adrive.com. they have a basic account that gives you 50G (individual use only) of storage for FREE. he said that even all the tech guys at dell use it for their own backup. they do have 2 upgrade accounts at a cost... the "signature" account which also allows for 50G and has many other features that the basic does not have. it is $6.95/mo. (or $69.50/yr). then there is the "premium" account which gives you an option of 100G all the way up to 1TB (which is the equivilant of 1000G) and it starts at $13.95/mo. (or $139.50/yr).

i just started yesterday uploading all of my current files there, so can't really give a whole lot of feedback at the moment, but from what preston says, it's the best free file storage out there.

i'm don't really know how "safe" the files are as far as privacy... and this may sound a bit ridiculous... but at this point... after losing over 2 1/2 years worth of photos (which is basically every photo i've ever taken with my good camera) as well as every SINGLE scrapbook page i've ever created... i feel as if it is a matter of choosing my battle. and although *most* people simply do not understand, i KNOW all of you do. i am just devistated. my stomach literally turns everytime i think about it... and so far... having them recovered is not looking promising. so at the moment... i'm moving forward with uploading everything and hoping for the best. lol.

clarabear

always chatty at the O!!
I only want it for backup of my pics and scrapbooking supplies. Those are the only things I have on my computer worth anything and there is no private info in that, so I haven't been too worried about privacy.

clarabear

always chatty at the O!!
If that place is as good as he says, it could almost be worth it to have multiple accounts for extra storage using multiple e-mail addresses. Hate to abuse the system and all, but you do what you gotta or you pay. Hmmm...will have to look into that one.

LaughingSun

aw Amanda... my stomach turns when I think about it too. I'm so so sorry for your loss :( :( I pray that at least some of it is recoverable!!!

MommySpice

sorry can't help. we have a server at home with has several hard drives so we back up to there. yep, we're geeks lol. when we had the house built in 2000 DH came in and wired it to have Ethernet & cable in EVERY room (except the bathrooms, although the masterbath does have cable hehe)

Are you married to my husband secretly? seriously? *lol* I could ditto this word for word...except we didn't have our house built. Chris has wired up every house we have lived in though...even while renting. *lol*

LaughingSun

Are you married to my husband secretly? seriously? *lol* I could ditto this word for word...except we didn't have our house built. Chris has wired up every house we have lived in though...even while renting. *lol*

ROFL. unless you live in or near Canada, prolly not :) lol

but yeah, geeks. I used to build computers too... just haven't in a while so I'm pretty rusty ;)

Ellen

I'm not too worried about hackers or so. all the files get encrypted on your own pc before they are backed up on Mozy .
I wouldn't send sensitive files anyway .
Just don't rely on external hard disks to keep hold of your goodies .

yikes Amanda that must have hurt so much.