Would you prefer to live in san Antonio, TX or Fayetteville, NC

• San Antonio, TX

Votes: 9 81.8%
  • Fayetteville, NC

Votes: 2 18.2%

• Total voters

clarabear

always chatty at the O!!
OKay, so this is by no means making my decision, but I would like your input because I love you all so. My husband went to talk to a friend of ours about his property management company he uses for his rental and found out that he has a contact with the school house at Ft. Sam Houston in San Antonio, TX. Now, you all know I am having a hard enough time with this whole moving to Ft. Bragg, NC thing and moving to Texas doesn't appeal to me any more than NC but it has it's share of positives and negatives so I want to hear your opinions. So, let me tell you some positives and negatives of each and hear your thoughts on them just so that I have more thoughts going on in my brain and less simple frustration if that makes sense. It is actually kind of nice thinking we have options, even if we don't really. .

So, here are the choices...

Ft. Bragg, NC

Positives: 10 hour drive from family, 9 hour drive from Disney area, 2-3 hours from beaches, gorgeousness of NC, already have my brain wrapped around this, homeschool kids, live closer to several friends (within several hours driving distance), know at least 3 people in the area

Negatives: nothing positive about school districts, few employment opportunities, no career benefits for DH, solely military town, unknown length of time at location

San Antonio, TX

Positives: Good schedule for DH, definite 3 year rotation, opportunity for career advancement for DH and opportunity for contacts to go where we want in the future, larger city and more medical facilities for employment for both myself and DH, decent education opportunities for kids, know 1 person in area

Negatives: Have no mutual contacts in the area, no family within driving distance, hamoeschooling may not be a necessity

Bush Girl

Can't help with info on either - not being an American, but having been an expat for several years where I was 24 hrs from family, who I missed, but they were on the end of the phone, I would say that if your DH's job isn't great then he won't be happy, which will knock on to other aspects of YOUR (ie: you DH & kids - not your wider family) family life.

Also, I know you guys are better at the whole long distance driving concept, but to me "10 hrs drive from family" is a drive that would almost never happen. I now live 5 hrs drive from my family, instead of 3 continents away, but I don't see them any more often then when we lived in Asia.

Another thing, if your kids are in school - you'll meet people.

sue.falstaff

O'chOir extraOrdinaire
Oh Clara I really feel for you ... I can't fairly offer an opinion in your poll though, as living in England I have no idea what's positive or negative about either town.

You made me chuckle though when you say living within 10hrs driving of family is a positive thing ... I always forget about the size of America!!! I guess 10hrs is a drop in the ocean for you guys! DH & I live approx 280 miles away from family and this takes around 7hrs to drive there ... we definitely don't consider this to be close ... close in the UK is really anywhere you can get to within 2hrs tops!!!

I hope you're able to draw comfort from friends here!

clarabear

always chatty at the O!!
Just to put the 10 hour drive into perspective for you guys...It isn't exactly my thing either. I'm a 2-3 hour drive type of girl. 10 hours sure beats the 24 hour drive from TX. Ugh!! That isn't even contemplatable!! (Is that a word??))

clarabear

always chatty at the O!!
well, you guys aren't much help here. lol!!! Derek went and talked to the guy who can hook him up with the slot in Texas. That doesn't mean anything, it just means we'll see what happens and nothing is for sure right now. I don't know what I want. My heart says change is good and I'll go wherever the piece of paper says we are supposed to go. As long as my family is together I am good with that. I was ready for NC. So, if it switches to Texas I have to reset my mind to that. Blah!! I'll be close to Sally!!

Ellen

oops I wouldn't know either as I live on the other side of the pond and don't know the areas at all.

Moving to a new area is exiting and daunting at the same time , specially when you don't know anybody.
Having small children will be such a good easy way to get to know more people :)

as for living far away from family, I happen to be in the same boat , it takes me about 9 hours if I drive/fly/drive or 15 if I drive , 2 of our children and my parents and siblings live on the other side of the water
With telephone and internet and webcams it's so much easier nowadays to keep up with them .
Do you see them often now??

wombat146

ONA - Administrator
CHEERY O
LOL! sorry sweetie, can't help you either!! Just come downunder and be done with it!!! Helen and I are here, what other family do you need!!! :mrgreen:

Seriously Clara, from experience, stop worrying about it sweetie. Things will work out like they are supposed to. I am 8hrs from my sister and 9.5hrs from my youngest son and family but its not a bad thing. We just incorporate the drive in our holiday plans and have fun getting there just as much as when we get there! There will ALWAYS be positive and negative things about a place, you just have to go with what feels right for you and remember, it isn't forever, and you will be with the most important members of your family anyway! ((hugs)). :)

Bush Girl

LOL! sorry sweetie, can't help you either!! Just come downunder and be done with it!!! Helen and I are here, what other family do you need!!! :mrgreen:

True - but what she's not telling you, and everyone always forgets is that Australia is a monstrously HUGE country - every bit as big as America, and Helen & Ona probably live at least 10 hrs apart. :)

yvonnahenna

Oke, since I'm from the tiny little Dutch Country, I have no clue how it would be there.
But if I'm reading what you have written here, I would choose the texas-place.

Soco

I'm not going to help a lot either Clara... but I'm sure you'll make the best decision!!! Good luck!!!! :D

Bush Girl

Where are the Americans when you need them, eh?! There must be some Texans and North Carolinas (is this the correct collective name?) around to help with this.

Lots of non Americans have responded - not that we're any use whatsoever. ;)

hondachicc

We Americans are not telling her what to do....She would not need a passport to come after us if we told her wrong:D:D:D

cellomom

...loves her some "O"
Okay...so I totally voted without reading anything (I've been chatting with Clara about this on FB, so I'm not completely in the dark!!)

Here's my family take on it...
You can fly anywhere in the US in about 4-5 hours!!! Houston to Seattle is 4 hours...and great frequent flier miles! My sister is in the Seattle area, so I've taken this trip a bunch.

Plus, I'm 3 hours from SA...what more do you need to make your desicion??? LMBO!!!! (30 mins by plane!!!)

The bottom line is exactly what everyone has said...You embrace change easily, Clara, so you and your family will be happy wherever you make a home!! (btw, Texas is the BEST state in the union...just sayin'...it's the only state that can fly its flag at the same height as the US flag. teeheee...again, just sayin'!)

cellomom

...loves her some "O"
Ohhh and just to give you girls some Texas perspective, the greater Houston area is BIGGER than the entire state of Rhode Island...

If you drive from one side of the state to the other, it's the equivalent of driving somewhere around 12 states in New England...or across the entire continent of Europe!!

yeah...big!!!

clarabear

always chatty at the O!!
Isn't it the only state that can decide they want to be their own country too if they wanted? Well, for the moment Texas may be off the table...but Derek is looking into that too. I think we'll be good no matter where we are at personally. We'll meet people through work, school and church. We'll get the financial stuff figured out...just found out I can get unemployment. Yay me!! Love the state of WA for that. Both places are warm, although different types of warm. We could also go to NC and then once Derek has the stuff in order he can get us moved to TX which gives us better options to get back to WA. Both places have decent flights to Seattle, which is awesome. Now, I can't follow my heart because my heart tells me to pack up all of my belongings and move back to Italy and that just can't happen. But my heart is in Italy. I would live there until the end of time. I don't care how far away my family lives. Italy feels as much like home as Washington does even thought the only Italian I can speak is food...and I can speak food better than some Italians. I used to steal menus, take them home and study them so that I would know what to order no matter where we were. I was the food expert while we were there.

Wherever we move we'll be good. If you have an opinion about either of these places...feel free to share it. I promise not to come and hunt you down. :) These places are just so different and so different from the NW I'm curious as to what others have to say these places is all.

Madi

Diane
CHEERY O
wow, just looked at the map, that's a long way from where you are now!
I live just 30 minutes away from most of my family,
2 minutes away from my parents (walking distance!!)

so, that's no help! good luck on deciding!

Michael

I lived in Austin, TX for five years. (Prior to that only midwestern states). We LOVED it. It was just my husband and I for the first three years then we had b/g twins. Texas is an AWESOME state! I have a good friend who moved to NC about one year ago and loves it there too. I've never been.

I visited San Antonio a few times while living in Austin. Lovely on the River Walk! There's hill country around Austin and west... People were sooo friendly there! And the Texas pride is really something to observe and to be a part of! It is hot -- but I love the hot as opposed to the cold in minnesota...brrr.... I can't speak to San Antonio as well as Austin, but they have great barbeque and TexMex all around there! Ohhhh, I miss it. We've been back in MN now for over six years.

But never having been to NC, I'm not sure how to compare! I wish your family every joy in your next step. You sound like someone who can thrive wherever you put your energies! :)

Michael

~*Lainebean*~

sooo, perhaps I'm a bit late on this, it probably doesn't make any difference, and you probably already know my vote, BUT....

Texas all the way!!!

haha, as you know... my list of things I love

• God
  • Texas
  • Texas
  • Family
  • Texas
  • Friends
  • God
  • Texas
:D:D:D:D

I truly believe Texas is the best place on the planet earth. And San Antonio is a great example of this! San Antonio is my second most visited city (second to my own, of course...) and I love it! It's gorgeous and friendly.

so yep. that's what I have to say! :rolleyes: haha!

:):):)

faerywings

The Loopy-O
CHEERY O
Clara- saw your FB post- not throwing rocks at me! BUT!!!! if you are in NC, we get to share- the world can revolve around both of us- at the same time!
Go EST!! LOLOL!!

Did you ever get to ask Andrea B about Ft Bragg? that is where she is at, IIRC.

LSlycord

I have never been to NC but it's a place that I'd love to visit! I have lived in Texas many years ago...about 20 to be exact. We lived in Austin which wasn't far from San Antonio so we spent some time there... Wonderful Riverwalk. Alamo is great fun. San Antonio Spurs! We have friends who moved there a couple of years ago and I'd love to visit.

The one thing that I can tell you. I was miserable in Texas. Foolish misery because I wouldn't embrace the change. I didn't want to be so far from family and so I didn't take advantage of my experiences. So, I'll end on the note, that I love being where I am...close to family. But, if I were in a position where I needed to move, I'd sure make the best of the situation this time. And I know that you will!

clarabear

always chatty at the O!!
So...here is the official way things are going for us.

We had actually decided on Texas because the benefits as far as the Army goes and getting back to Washington sooner all that just looks better as far as Texas goes. Unfortuunately the Army says that Derek doesn't have all of his ducks in a row (of course he would have if he would have listened to me over the past few years - boys are so dumb). So, it is official that we are going to Ft. Bragg, NC and are supposed to check in July 11. Derek is going to try and get that pushed out a month or 2 so that we can drive across the country together and give him a little more time just in case he can get everything together to go to TX instead before then. But we are on board and ready to go to wherever we go. I was on board no matter what because I just think a change would be good for us. I am nervous about so many things, but excited about just as many. One of the things I have been worried about was finding a new church. It was very hard for me to start going to church and I was so blessed to find a great church on my first try. Now I am stronger and more open to it so I think I can do a little shopping around and find a place I am comfortable with. I talked to the lead pastor at my church and was talking to him about my concerns and he told me that when you find a home church you will always have a hard time finding a church that compares to that and if you just know that and keep an open mind and are willing to look around until you find a place that feels right you'll be okay. So, that made me feel a lot better.

We do know a few people in Ft. Bragg. We know a guy that we were friends with in Italy (our recent house guest that made me crazy) Isn't that just great? LOL!! A girl from my church and her husband are going there about 2-3 weeks before us. then of course Andrea. I will definitely be using Andrea as a resource...I just haven't bugged her yet because Vince has been home on R&R and I am not about to bug them when this isn't urgent. She's already told me she'd tell me all about it. She rocks. Plus she's from Portland, and loves the NW like I do so she knows exactly what my issues will be. She'll be awesome.

So, I am revved up and ready to go. We have a lot of work ahead of us and I have had to resign from some of my CT obligations because of the stress I know will be coming up, and let the designers I didn't resign from that I will be a crappy team member for the time being until life settles and let me say the O rocks and the designers here are the bestest.

Thank you all for your thoughts and opinions. It means the world to me. I know this line of support will help keep me grounded through all of the this. It will be awesome to have one thing that doesn't change. You guys are the bestest.

So, that's my story and I wanted to let you all know where we are at.

clarabear

always chatty at the O!!
Clara- saw your FB post- not throwing rocks at me! BUT!!!! if you are in NC, we get to share- the world can revolve around both of us- at the same time!
Go EST!! LOLOL!!

Did you ever get to ask Andrea B about Ft Bragg? that is where she is at, IIRC.

You wouldn't be able to catch a rock if I threw it to you? lame. It looks close on a map. It will be cool to be in the same time zone and not have to split the center of the universe.

katg1006

(((hugs))) I am so glad that you have a game plan going! Fingers crossed that maybe DH can get it all straight for you to go to Texas!!