Oscraps

Let's get to know each other

mimes1

CHEERY O
I'd like to know the thing you've achieved that you're most proud of.
Just realized I missed this question! One of the things I'm most proud of is leading my then work team through the covid shut down. Managing our day to day responsibilities and navigating all the new territory was challenging yet fulfilling as our team really came together.

Last edited:

timounette

CHEERY O
More than 20 years ago, I went to the roof of Africa: Kilimanjaro, a childhood dream.
It's a pretty tough climb, and the last stage I climbed mentally. This experience, which I'm very proud of, showed me that I could do great things if I really wanted to. It helped me adopt my children, at work. It helps me to be positive on a regular basis.

JeanneMN

CHEERY O
More than 20 years ago, I went to the roof of Africa: Kilimanjaro, a childhood dream.
It's a pretty tough climb, and the last stage I climbed mentally. This experience, which I'm very proud of, showed me that I could do great things if I really wanted to. It helped me adopt my children, at work. It helps me to be positive on a regular basis.
Wowza, what an incredible accomplishment.! That's a really lofty location to learn just how strong you truly are.

faerywings

The Loopy-O
CHEERY O
When I'm in Indiana at my sister's friends of hers will say - oh this is the best bread. Just like NJ. And they'll say that about pizza too.
My sister just laughs... No way is it even close!
:giggle4: I replied to @Terri M before I saw your post. Bagels too- NJ bagels are also amazing.

When I went to college in rural PA, I was grocery shopping and wanted to buy tortellini. Nowhere to be found. They had elbows, spaghetti, and ziti. That was a long time ago so I hope they have expanded their variety by now cuz this Italian NJ Girl was out of her realm back then.

MariJ

:giggle4: I replied to @Terri M before I saw your post. Bagels too- NJ bagels are also amazing.

When I went to college in rural PA, I was grocery shopping and wanted to buy tortellini. Nowhere to be found. They had elbows, spaghetti, and ziti. That was a long time ago so I hope they have expanded their variety by now cuz this Italian NJ Girl was out of her realm back then.
Haha, so true! My sister could ONLY find spaghetti and elbows when she first moved to Indiana - not even ziti. Now there is more. We always had "macaroni" at my Italian Grandma's on Sunday and Thursday nights. No "pasta" - it was macaroni,
And that is SO true about bagels, too. Just can't replicate our area's bagels.

MariJ

Some people think about Snooki when they think of NJ.
Italian bakeries and pizza is the way to go. Much better! :lol23:
Oh, does that not get you? Snooki is SOOOOooo not typical NJ. My sister and I are literally just texting about wildlife in NJ because my town and surrounding, which are residential but not by any means rural and are very close to cities - is having a black bear problem. She said "You are a wildlife state now!" I said, "NJ has multiple wildlife places. Shore, Pine barrens and up northwest where it’s another type of environment - foresty". Couldn't think of the name to say - but NJ is not just the Turnpike as we know - we are the Garden State with a lot of nature!

JeanneMN

CHEERY O
Oh, does that not get you? Snooki is SOOOOooo not typical NJ. My sister and I are literally just texting about wildlife in NJ because my town and surrounding, which are residential but not by any means rural and are very close to cities - is having a black bear problem. She said "You are a wildlife state now!" I said, "NJ has multiple wildlife places. Shore, Pine barrens and up northwest where it’s another type of environment - foresty". Couldn't think of the name to say - but NJ is not just the Turnpike as we know - we are the Garden State with a lot of nature!
Uff dah, yah, dontcha know, Minnesotans, do not sound like the movie Fargo. How 'bout a good hot dish then?????

JeanneMN

CHEERY O
Gravy, but really only for special occasions now, it was a staple growing up, but hubs pretty much only likes it on mashed potatoes, which I never make for the two of us. One of my favorite meals as a kid was, chicken and gravy over baking powder biscuits, yet last weekend at my college reunion, the hotel had biscuits and gravy as an option in their breakfast. I always find that so odd, I guess because we only had it for supper. There's another question you could do if you haven't already, breakfast, dinner, supper OR breakfast, lunch, dinner?

mimes1

CHEERY O
Oh you know the answer to that - there IS no such thing as sauce on macaroni. It's ALWAYS gravy!
Tomato gravy??? Cheese gravy??? Butter Gravy?? This So-Cal girl at heart has never heard of this!! I'm just getting used to this new Southern way of doing things, and now I learn there's a Northern way too???:thud:Gravy is for mashed potatoes and pot roast, and on a biscuit for breakfast!

MariJ

Tomato gravy??? Cheese gravy??? Butter Gravy?? This So-Cal girl at heart has never heard of this!! I'm just getting used to this new Southern way of doing things, and now I learn there's a Northern way too???:thud:Gravy is for mashed potatoes and pot roast, and on a biscuit for breakfast!
Haha, Amy. Nope! Not North or South but an ethnic thing.... Italians have always called the red tomato stuff (NOT called sauce!) you put on pasta (or macaroni as we called it) "GRAVY". It is NOT tomato sauce like people say now. My German Dad finally explained it as - gravy has a meat base. And, our traditional pasta gravy does and was started with sausage, meatballs, etc. My Grandma and Mom made it that way. Now there is meatless/marinara and others. But, it's always gravy and particularly "THE gravy". My Grandma would say she was making The Gravy. Always a big huge pot of it!

Haha - and we north easterners have no idea of biscuits and gravy - it sounds so strange to me and for BREAKFAST???. My sister learned that in Indiana and that's how I heard of it. That and noodles for Thanksgiving...

AK_Tracy

Uff dah, yah, dontcha know, Minnesotans, do not sound like the movie Fargo. How 'bout a good hot dish then?????
I had NO idea what the heck Hot dish was until visiting my hubs best friends parents. Its a freaking casserole!!!!! :floorlaugh: :floorlaugh: And you never know what kind!!! Its all hot dish! If its in a dish and hot, yeah got it! We also laugh at Fargo and yah yah a lot. But Uff Dah, we do.

AK_Tracy

Gravy, but really only for special occasions now, it was a staple growing up, but hubs pretty much only likes it on mashed potatoes, which I never make for the two of us. One of my favorite meals as a kid was, chicken and gravy over baking powder biscuits, yet last weekend at my college reunion, the hotel had biscuits and gravy as an option in their breakfast. I always find that so odd, I guess because we only had it for supper. There's another question you could do if you haven't already, breakfast, dinner, supper OR breakfast, lunch, dinner?
Breakfast, lunch and dinner baby!!!! My dad always joked there is not supper anymore since Jesus had the last supper.:giggle4:

AK_Tracy

Haha, Amy. Nope! Not North or South but an ethnic thing.... Italians have always called the red tomato stuff (NOT called sauce!) you put on pasta (or macaroni as we called it) "GRAVY". It is NOT tomato sauce like people say now. My German Dad finally explained it as - gravy has a meat base. And, our traditional pasta gravy does and was started with sausage, meatballs, etc. My Grandma and Mom made it that way. Now there is meatless/marinara and others. But, it's always gravy and particularly "THE gravy". My Grandma would say she was making The Gravy. Always a big huge pot of it!

Haha - and we north easterners have no idea of biscuits and gravy - it sounds so strange to me and for BREAKFAST???. My sister learned that in Indiana and that's how I heard of it. That and noodles for Thanksgiving...
I guess if that is your idea of Gravy, then yeah biscuits and gravy would be odd :floorlaugh: But oh sausage gravy over homemade biscuits and a scrambled egg, mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm And its yummy for breakfast, lunch or dinner. Any time is a good time for biscuits and gravy. :love:

faerywings

The Loopy-O
CHEERY O

That is one of the clearest and most concise explanations of sauce vs gravy Ev-errrr
usually it feels this: ::soapbox::rollingpin1::shakingsense::angry4::furious::censored: