Oscraps

Let's get to know each other

scrap-genie

My favorite birthday cake.
I can't imagine being over chocolate @AK_Tracy o_O
This year I described what I saw as the perfect birthday cake and my very dear DH produced it (from the grocery store bakery). It was a dark chocolate cake with raspberry filling. I thought of two layers, but they did four thinner ones, so got lots of raspberry. Then chocolate frosting with white piping. He also had them put a BIG number on top and they added fresh raspberries spaced around the base. It was fantastic!!! :chocolate:

A-M

What's your favorite kind of Birthday Cake? And if cake isn't your thing, what's your special birthday dessert?

Chocolate Cake
1718689665912.png

Terri M

Favorite birthday cake:
It's really unimaginative but I love white cake with buttercream frosting. Even better if some frosting flowers decorate it. I very seldom get it, everyone who serves cake looks for something more interesting.

timounette

CHEERY O
What is your favorite drink ?
I drink a lot of herbal tea when I work.
And if I think to an alcoholic beverage : coconut punch and all rums :yesss:

What's your favorite subject to scrap ?
A few years ago I would have answered my children, but now I can't even take a picture of them. So these are nature photos: animals, beach, landscape...

What's your favorite kind of Birthday Cake? And if cake isn't your thing, what's your special birthday dessert?
I'm not much of a dessert person, so I'd say a cake with fresh fruit, like a good strawberry cake.

MariJ

Nature and children (currently Julianne!)

My favorite birthday cake is one my Godmother/aunt made for me each year. White cake with peach filling and a special
Magic Chocolate" frosting that is SOOooo delicious.
If not that, I like cannoli cake or ice cream cake. That's a lot of cake.

O Birthday Fairy

Because I'm happy
CHEERY O
As I'm very curious, let's move on to a more personal question.
I'd like to know the thing you've achieved that you're most proud of.
But don't say "my children", because of course all mothers are proud of their offspring. I know you'll surprise us.
:fairy2::fairy2::fairy2:

AK_Tracy

Overcoming my dad always telling me I am a princess (which I am) and girls dont build stuff. I overcame and together Hubs and I built our dream home. I learned how to use all the power tools and I will have all my fingers. I think the chop saw was the funnest but drilling all the holes for electrical lines was fun too. I like power tools :floorlaugh:

Terri M

At 45 years old, I had more than 20 years working in information systems, had a good job in a Fortune 20 company headquarters, and was making very good salary. But as I advanced in my career I realized it was lucrative but not life giving. I earned a masters degree in theology and got a job as Director of Liturgy in a church. I loved that job for 15 years until I retired, and DH and I figured out how to live on substantially less money and still retire early. We weren't rich but my life felt much more worthwhile.

Terri M

Overcoming my dad always telling me I am a princess (which I am) and girls dont build stuff. I overcame and together Hubs and I built our dream home. I learned how to use all the power tools and I will have all my fingers. I think the chop saw was the funnest but drilling all the holes for electrical lines was fun too. I like power tools :floorlaugh:
I am so impressed!. I am totally a software person. When I tried to help at Habitat for Humanity I ended up gluing my hard hat to the wall and draping huge loops of adhesive around the room. Kudos to you for building your house!

AK_Tracy

I am so impressed!. I am totally a software person. When I tried to help at Habitat for Humanity I ended up gluing my hard hat to the wall and draping huge loops of adhesive around the room. Kudos to you for building your house!
We would make a good duo Terri. Software throws me for a loop. If it doesn't run properly I am lost.

faerywings

The Loopy-O
CHEERY O

The cake needs to be chocolate but a special dessert is tiramisu.
My favorite birthday cake of all time:
There is chocolate cake underneath that god-awful orange frosting. And yes, it does say "Welcome home from prison." My DDs idea of a prank which had me hysterically laughing and then even harder when she described the baker's face when she ordered it. :rotfl:

faerywings

The Loopy-O
CHEERY O
Phooey, you knew I was going to say my kids!

At this point in my life, I'd have to say what I am achieving and learning at my new job. In the past 6 months, I have reconnected with myself and found something that I love doing- working with kids and teaching them about nature. I also recently got certified in Wilderness First Aid and am taking a course in Fire Building this weekend. It's an amazing feeling to learn new skills, meet new people, and be outside.

faerywings

The Loopy-O
CHEERY O
Nature and children (currently Julianne!)

My favorite birthday cake is one my Godmother/aunt made for me each year. White cake with peach filling and a special
Magic Chocolate" frosting that is SOOooo delicious.
If not that, I like cannoli cake or ice cream cake. That's a lot of cake.
Cannoli---yummmmmm

Celestine

Soooo behind.
Favorite drink: Tea - iced or hot, almost any type
Favorite subject to scrap: My family, but I have had a ton of fun doing these family cookbook pages over the years
Favorite cake: That's a hard one - we eat pie around here. I guess I'd go with red velvet cake, my SIL makes a killer red velvet cake.
Most proud of: Raising kids who are kind, curious, self-sufficient, and family-oriented. They surprisingly absorbed a lot of life lessons in their formative years. It was hard work, but I'd do it all again.

MariJ

@faerywings Oh since the black and white cake appears to be no more, cannoli cake is one of my favorites! A place (Calandras) around here has a yummy one, my sweet neighbors actually bought a big one for my birthday a few years ago! Last year she actually ordered one from the famous Ferrara's in New York. Problem was, it only arrived that night when we were celebrating and of course it was frozen! So, it sat in her freezer from March until the next Fall when I suggested we have it at her Rosh Hashana dinner! It was good but I like Calandras better. I love the cream, the shell not-so-much. So a cake is yummy!

faerywings

The Loopy-O
CHEERY O
@faerywings Oh since the black and white cake appears to be no more, cannoli cake is one of my favorites! A place (Calandras) around here has a yummy one, my sweet neighbors actually bought a big one for my birthday a few years ago! Last year she actually ordered one from the famous Ferrara's in New York. Problem was, it only arrived that night when we were celebrating and of course it was frozen! So, it sat in her freezer from March until the next Fall when I suggested we have it at her Rosh Hashana dinner! It was good but I like Calandras better. I love the cream, the shell not-so-much. So a cake is yummy!
I was gonna ask you if you ever went to Calandras! Yummmmm!!!!
Jersey Minds Think alike! :giggle4:

MariJ

I was gonna ask you if you ever went to Calandras! Yummmmm!!!!
Jersey Minds Think alike! :giggle4:
Oh YAY and for sure they do!
I used to go to the original Calandras in Newark when I was little and at my Grandma's. Now there are a few around - a HUGE one with restaurants and all in Caldwell, not far from me. That cannoli cake is SOOoooo good. And so expensive too! :rolleyes:

YUM! For sure! :smiliesdoingwave:

faerywings

The Loopy-O
CHEERY O
@MariJ My mom's family always went to the one in Newark as well and everyone was happy when Caldwell opened.
Fun fact: My wedding cake was from Calandra's- and it had the cannoli filling!

Also- anyone not from NJ who is reading this-- Newark is pronounced "Nork." Not New-ark as in Delaware, just Nork. :giggle4:

MariJ

@MariJ My mom's family always went to the one in Newark as well and everyone was happy when Caldwell opened.
Fun fact: My wedding cake was from Calandra's- and it had the cannoli filling!

Also- anyone not from NJ who is reading this-- Newark is pronounced "Nork." Not New-ark as in Delaware, just Nork. :giggle4:
Yes, yes YES! Pronunciation is 100% correct if you are in the "know"! :floorlaugh:
Very cool that your wedding cake was made at Calandras and oh WOW, for cannoli filling! A wedding cake that was yummy!
There also is a large bakery in Fairfield! At least I think it's still there, now that Caldwell opened I haven't been there.

char8182

How would you describe yourself in just 3 words?
Fun, Caring, Impulsive
What's your favorite subject to scrap?
My cats, our vacations, & family
What's your favorite cake?
I like all deserts--I'm addicted and I absolutely love Ice Cream
What is your favorite drink?
Coffee (I make my version of Starbuck's Caramel Macchiato), water, fizzy water
In my early 30's I got a DUI; I liked to drink too much and drive in blackouts.
Not a good combo. Have been in a 12-step program since then.

Last edited:

faerywings

The Loopy-O
CHEERY O
In my early 30's I got a DUI; I liked to drink too much and drive in blackouts.
Not a good combo. Have been in a 12-step program since then.
:cheer: That is such an *incredible* accomplishment, life-changing for you and everyone who loves you-- ♥

FloridaGranny

German chocolate cake for cake, but I usually go for a gooey pastry as my birthday treat. Maybe an almond croissant.