Oscraps

How do you print your albums?

annaaspnes

annaaspnes
Designer
I got together with a group of digital scrapbookers this past weekend and conversation about printing ensued. Wondering which companies you use to print? Whether you print single pages to be placed into an album or you a photo book maker?

CookingMyLife

While I've done three 12" Shutterfly books, most of my layouts incl the current 365 are printed at ScrappingSimply. I've also used Persnickty and been really happy with both companies.

I'm not sure if I'll go back to Shutterfly mainly because I'm not sure I'm going to another photobook but may just put 'themed' albums in post type albums.

VickiStegall

Administrator
Designer
CHEERY O
on those rare occasions when i actually scrap a page, I just print it out on my home printer (8 x 8) and put it in an album.

I have pipe dreams of completing some travel albums (it's what amanda & i made the 'destination' quick albums for lol) and those I will printed, probably by shutterfly.

(I'm not any help lol)

terryb

I've had all of my layouts printed in photobooks from Shutterfly.

I have themed books--Christmas, vacation, and one a year for each of the grandchildren.

All other layouts I have printed in a book for that year--usually takes two books for the entire year.

I've been very happy with Shutterfly.

I don't print anything at home.

kaytebug

on those rare occasions when i actually scrap a page, I just print it out on my home printer (8 x 8) and put it in an album.

I have pipe dreams of completing some travel albums (it's what amanda & i made the 'destination' quick albums for lol) and those I will printed, probably by shutterfly.

(I'm not any help lol)

What printer do you have?
I'm looking.....

ourmisadventures

I get 8x8 pages printed through Persnickety, and then I just put them in regular scrapbook albums that I pick up at craft stores with 40% off coupons. I think it's Pioneer that I use, since their books are extendable and allow more inserts. Since I don't scrap in any particular order, it helps to be able to rearrange the pages in my books when I feel like it.

I do scrap & save all my pages to 12x12, that way if I ever do want a larger print for a competition or something I'll still have it on hand :)

Ellen

For my albums I'm using a Dutch company called Fotofabriek , before that I've used Albelli who are now trying to conquer the British market

good idea to have 12x 12 layouts printed and then put in an album i've still got several empty albums that I had to have and never used as I don't like real scrapping in 12x12

frani_54

I'm really bad about not printing out my layouts, although the plan is to create a yearly book for each grandchild. I'm 10 yrs behind on the oldest one....:>(

I have used layouts for calendar toppers and have printed those at shutterfly.....I'm pretty pleased with them.

clarabear

always chatty at the O!!
I have a large format printer so I can print and put into albums...but I don't love the color and it clips just a little. I also print once a year through Winkflash when they have their flat rate book prices and I can get a book for around $20 for up to 100 pages.

I did print a nice book through Adorama for a wedding guest book and that was amazing...but expensive. It came to about $75 for 26 pages...but the paper is like photo paper.

whatnext

i'm an idiot and still haven't figured out Shutterfly's labyrinthine directions. i did one book with them and it was such a mess i vowed never to return. (white spaces at bottom of pages, color off. all my fault, of course, but their process is, i think, needlessly complex. or i am hopelessly stupid.)i use Blurb and have had 12x12s printed by Persnickety and Scrapbooks Please and Scrapping Simply. i'm pleased with all of them.

Aino

I have used Blurb and am happy with them. I don't print hardly as much as I should.

I wish I was organized enough to print out regularly. That'd be cool.

cstaff

I have used shutterfly for a couple albums but mostly I print @ home... I have the HP8750 wide format... my current and loooong standing project is a heritage book for my mother and she prefers pages printed and inserted in sleeves for her 12x12 book... that way I can add pages as completed...

CookingMyLife

I'm really amazed at how many of us don't print! I want that page in my sticky hot hand and love putting them in albums. This is when I deign to let dh look at them.

As I do each layout, and save the psd, 3600, and whatever size I need for uploading, I put the 3600 right in a folder called 2BPrinted. I print them in batches of 50 which is what I got at the sales at SS and Pernsickity - the credit vouchers. I think it ended up being $1.79 per layout. It IS photo paper and I only once got some others printed somewhere else with the 99c special. I got what I paid for - thin thin stuff.

Once I get my layouts back, I transfer the printed jpegs from 2BPrinted to Done. All this lives on my big ehd. Can you tell I like my computer organized? :typing:

Carol, have you ever estimated what it costs to print a 12x12? I'm not going there I know but I'm curious you know.

mrstoa

mrstoa
I did my first 8x8 Glossy Hard Cover Shutterfly album this spring and was thrilled with results! There's nothing quite like holding it in your hands - DH took it with him to UK to show family and friends - I will definitely do another one!

I was surprised that the 8x8 size - thought it would be small but really is a sensible size.
I've had single pages printed at Persnickety but from now on will do albums.

They make wonderful gifts and if you subscribe to Shutterfly's newletter you will get special offers -
My 24 page book cost just over $26 Canadian - with shipping!

wombat146

ONA - Administrator
CHEERY O
I have printed stuff at home mainly but I am so far behind in that that I want to have some books printed. Recently I visited Artscow.com, a site my daughter has used in the past, and saw a 'deal' for a 10 page 6x4 album for a mere $4.99 FREE delivery to Australia!

So I tried them and I LOVE IT!! only wanted to try out small to see the quality and I am very impressed. I have signed up for their newsletter and honestly, every week there is some sort of sale going on.

They also do a lot of gifty type things like key rings etc. I remember my daughter bought a shoulder bag last Christmas for one of her nieces with her photo on it..........that was a hit!!! :)

This is the site if anyone is interested:
http://www.artscow.com/photo-gifts

suezeeq12

Cupcake Ninja
I know Elisa (EHStudios) has printed a lot of books but I'm not sure where from so we need her to chime in with her input.

Personally I haven't printed out any myself but I did hear that Costco does a good job and there was also a review on The Daily Digi about photobook reviews here.

hondachicc

I recently did TWO 12x12 books from Winkflash and I was abslutely thrilled with them....

the 12x12 was scaring me to death because it's so big and you worry about the quality anyway.

They have specials all the time as well....ALL THE TIME. They were having a book sale and you could get up to 100 pages for $44.95 + $9.99 shipping. Sooooooooooooooooooooooo I now have TWO 12x12 books (and yes that would be 200 pages)....

clarabear

always chatty at the O!!
I used Costco and was not impressed. I liked that the book was padded, leather and inexpensive but uploading was horrible and wouldn't save and so the saving I did to bot clip pages didn't work. I generally love Costco and was very bummed that I was unimpressed with the book. Their photo printing in square sizes is amazing.

Bush Girl

I have a file system a bit like Maureen's on my hard drive and basically print everything. I used to get 12x12s printed individually (have a GREAT place in the UK charging 75p/0.85€/$1.15, but shipping a little steep) but as I now have dozens of full & very heavy 12x12 albums escaping out of my study, I've had to promise not to do this form of printing any more! So I do a once a year photo book with Blurb at 7x7 of approx 150 pages, and about once every 2 yrs 8.5x11 book with Shutterfly as this size is not available with Blurb and I can't buy photo paper this size in the UK. I've done several Shutterfly books, but the pricing system of a per page charge is just too steep for me and when you add the per book shipping costs (a year ago it was $13 PER BOOK!), I vowed not to use them unless I'm really stuck size wise. Also, I've always been driven mad altering each LO to fit the Shutterfly templates. Thank goodness Blurb's system lets you drop a 12x12 LO into the book and it will resize for you to 7x7. I also tend to do a number of smaller albums for specific projects and get these printed when Blurb is doing an offer - which usually happens around November - last year I had about 4 or 5 projects printed this way - awesome, cheap & tactile, love it!

Has anyone tried Artscow? Their prices are amazing but I have read some rather negative feedback.

petey111

I have a Canon Pixma MP something90. 790? Maybe? (I'm too lazy to get up and go look right now.)

I think it prints really nicely. So I do a lot of my 8 x 8 layouts on there and put them in postbound books.

I have printed Shutterfly before and I liked them.

Costco and Sam's Club do a decent job too if you are looking for something that is quick and inexpensive. It's not as high quality, but it's decent enough.

clarabear

always chatty at the O!!
I've used Artscow...They are okay. I've had no major problems but I have heard others have printing color issues, or lines in their pages and stuff. I do use them for calendars. The shipping takes forever though and if you don't have free shipping it costs a small fortune.

EHStudios

I lOve Me Some O!
I've done 4 books with 200 pages each & I used Blurb. Most of the quality was pretty good. There was a bit of issues with things lost in the gutter, but for the amount of pages I got & everything I think it is pretty good. Love those books!

VickiStegall

Administrator
Designer
CHEERY O
kaylea, i have an hp all in one thing and it's just fine, but i don't know that i'd actually recommend it.

maureen, if only you could come here and organize my computers! (maybe then I'd actually release designs on a regular basis lol)

janedee

I've used Shutterfly and Blurb to print books so far and Scrapping Simply for single pages. Overall I've been happy with all of them.

Maureen - I love the idea of putting the 3600 size pages in a To Be Printed file. I haven't been keeping good track of the single pages which need printing.

I love getting the printed pages back and have been amazed at how some of them look much better IRL than on the computer!

clarabear

always chatty at the O!!
I just saw an ad for Picaboo and they have a Buy 1 Get 1 sale going on until the end of the month. I don't know anything abot their quality though.

annaaspnes

annaaspnes
Designer
While I've done three 12" Shutterfly books, most of my layouts incl the current 365 are printed at ScrappingSimply. I've also used Persnickty and been really happy with both companies.

I'm not sure if I'll go back to Shutterfly mainly because I'm not sure I'm going to another photobook but may just put 'themed' albums in post type albums.

I know my process is always evolving as well. I find Shutterfly difficult to use since they launched their new software. I liked my first Blurb book though.

annaaspnes

annaaspnes
Designer
For my albums I'm using a Dutch company called Fotofabriek , before that I've used Albelli who are now trying to conquer the British market

good idea to have 12x 12 layouts printed and then put in an album i've still got several empty albums that I had to have and never used as I don't like real scrapping in 12x12

Love that there are some European companies now printing.