Oscraps

Do You Scrap Your Genealogy?

Susan - s3js

CHEERY O
I'm a devout genealogist - I'd love to do it professionally when I retire - and have done scrapbook genealogy for more than 15 years now, really longer when I include paper pages. Personally, I find the software generated family group sheets and narratives to be dead boring and a real slog. Sort of like reading the begats in the Bible (sorry, Lord!) where I fall asleep every 5 minutes. So, I started scrapping those kinds of things and trying to add interesting little anecdates and things. Does anyone else do this?

tanteva

all i need is Oscraps, cOffee, chOcOlate & tOfu

Susan - s3js

CHEERY O
Life as a genealogist is indeed amazing. I wept when I finally found my 5X great grandparents in the records. John Winter left his wife with two small children and pregnant. Life was very hard for her until she remarried. I still can't find this pair in the birth records so I'm up against that wall - again!

tanteva

all i need is Oscraps, cOffee, chOcOlate & tOfu
I'm so lucky that I have several ancestors that where ministers in our state church. This means you can follow your lineage waay back, since they are better documented. Also, church records here in Sweden are GREAT in international comparison. I'm sure red tape was invented by a Swede. LOL

LSlycord

I have never scrapped my genealogy but I think that sounds like a good thing to start doing. A good way to incorporate old photos and news clippings...much better than my boxes. Another thing to accomplish in 2022! Thanks for the suggestion.

scrap-genie

Family history was how I started in digital scrapbooking. I still do some but not as much as I've used so many of the photos. I did a book of LOs for my SiL in 2019 bringing together many of the pages for my DH's family.

Susan - s3js

CHEERY O
@tanteva You are so lucky to see them first hand, too. The Church of England records are wonderful, too, and a huge portion of them are up at Find My Past. I have made some incredible finds and have thousands of documents. It's slow to put them all in my program, but I'm still working full time so I can't play as much as I would like. One day soon....

@scrap-genie Please don't let lack of family photo stop you. Pages about the places they lived and events they experienced add so much. My boys weren't at all excited about their genealogy until they discovered a page I did abot the Mayflower and her passengers which just happened to include one pair of their many times great grandparents, John Alden and Priscilla Mullins on their father's side. Since then they have raided my computer to find pages about William Claiborne in Jamestown in 1621 on my side, Jacob Vandergrift in New Amsterdam in 1640 from their Dad, and a new Mayflower connection on my side if I can prove it out, and at least 9 Revolutionary Patriot ancestors and 3 0r 4 Loyalists, too. They love it now and sometimes help me in the hunt. There are no actual pictures of these folks, except Claiborne, but we manage!

@LSlycord I do lots of hybrid pages. Some of them are in folding protectors that provide a four-page inside spread and several two page spreads plus memorabilia envolope protectors. Fun, fun, fun!

zanthia

CHEERY O
how lucky you all are to know this - i know zilch about both my grandfathers .

Cherylndesigns

I'm in The Zone ~ The "O" Zone
CHEERY O
I've scrapped a few genealogy pages, but not nearly as many as a lot of you have. I've actually been able to get a few very old photographs off of "Family Search" - I haven't put in the work that you have, Jean @scrap-genie - your work is so impressive.

Susan - s3js

CHEERY O
If any of you are interested, I'd be happy to get you started and help you do your research efficiently from the beginning - and avoid the rookie mistakes I made that had me looking in the wrong direction for many years.

Kythe

CHEERY O
I have completed my family history from 1877 to present day and have been lucky enough to have photos from the late 1800's. I do have documentation from earlier days which I have scrapped. Unfortunately none of the younger generation is interested.

Susan - s3js

CHEERY O
I have completed my family history from 1877 to present day and have been lucky enough to have photos from the late 1800's. I do have documentation from earlier days which I have scrapped. Unfortunately none of the younger generation is interested.
Sweetie, don't let that deter you. They will come around. I wasn't interested until my md 30s. Then my Aunt Pat started telling stories one night and shared my Grandpa's Bible with me. I was hooked. My boys didn't care until they had to do family history projects for school. Finding the stories go them hooked. They are both in their 20s, 5 1/2 years apart. God made me wait a LONG time for my boys but it's worth it!

zanthia

CHEERY O
If your grandfathers lived in the U.S., I'd be happy to look into them a bit.
thanks for offer but dont even know their first names - just last name and general vicinity where they lived ( assuming they lived in same area as grandmothers when they were alive)

Kythe

CHEERY O
Sweetie, don't let that deter you. They will come around. I wasn't interested until my md 30s. Then my Aunt Pat started telling stories one night and shared my Grandpa's Bible with me. I was hooked. My boys didn't care until they had to do family history projects for school. Finding the stories go them hooked. They are both in their 20s, 5 1/2 years apart. God made me wait a LONG time for my boys but it's worth it!
Ha ha I have only 1 daughter. She is well into her 40's. May not happen. Nieces and nephews are the same and only one has kids. Oh well the album is done. After I am gone they can do what they like with it. I had fun..

digiscrapper

Pictures, please
I have published a few family books. I use Ancestry for record keeping, but when I scrap, I generally avoid kits made for genealogy. I use kits that match ethnicities, time period, mood, etc. I have several Oscrap kits that are nostalgic, have soft colors, have a quiet feel. I have lots of pages with text only, but I add some type of art -- a sketch, a sidebar, a historical insight, a map, a sketch of the clothes or houses of the era, a family crest, a state or city sign, logo, whatever, My most recent book was 57 pages, and only covered my mom's side of the family. (I am now working on a sequel) For each branch off the main line, I insert family trees from Ancestry, specific to that branch. History books and Google are my best friends, I google every single person in my tree, and have been lucky enough to find published books that feature my ancestors. My book is still n the Shutterfly site. PM me if you want a link. Michele

LSlycord

I have published a few family books. I use Ancestry for record keeping, but when I scrap, I generally avoid kits made for genealogy. I use kits that match ethnicities, time period, mood, etc. I have several Oscrap kits that are nostalgic, have soft colors, have a quiet feel. I have lots of pages with text only, but I add some type of art -- a sketch, a sidebar, a historical insight, a map, a sketch of the clothes or houses of the era, a family crest, a state or city sign, logo, whatever, My most recent book was 57 pages, and only covered my mom's side of the family. (I am now working on a sequel) For each branch off the main line, I insert family trees from Ancestry, specific to that branch. History books and Google are my best friends, I google every single person in my tree, and have been lucky enough to find published books that feature my ancestors. My book is still n the Shutterfly site. PM me if you want a link. Michele
Wow! This is amazing. Another thing to add to my "to scrap" pile. Which is much, much too large!

vickyday

Love my O Family!
CHEERY O
I'm a devout genealogist - I'd love to do it professionally when I retire - and have done scrapbook genealogy for more than 15 years now, really longer when I include paper pages. Personally, I find the software generated family group sheets and narratives to be dead boring and a real slog. Sort of like reading the begats in the Bible (sorry, Lord!) where I fall asleep every 5 minutes. So, I started scrapping those kinds of things and trying to add interesting little anecdates and things. Does anyone else do this?
I wish I had been interested in genealogy before mom and dad passed away. I have lots of pictures that I have no idea who, what, when, where, or why! Every once in awhile I scrap a page about an ancestor, but I have no real facts or dates to include.

I had to chuckle at your "begats" comment because I am the same way! (I, too, am sorry, Lord!) ;)

Susan - s3js

CHEERY O
Michelle, I apologize - I missed your post. You know, I hadn't thought about doing another Shutterfly book. I did one for my Mother and my Mother-in-Law, but never took it any further because I didn't have enough data at the time. Shame on me. Thanks for the reminder!