Oscraps

Yoga, anyone?

AZK

Queen of the Universe
CHEERY O
I saw online that today is World Yoga Day. My daughter practices yoga when she can, as does my boss. I have tried yoga a couple of times and just don't feel that it appeals to me. I assume that if I kept trying, eventually I would feel some benefit from it.

Does anyone here practice yoga? Did it take some time for you to start enjoying it?

FloridaGranny

Please give yoga another try! And, yes, it probably takes some time to realize how you are benefiting from it. There are several types of yoga and maybe you need to explore different ones. Breathing is an essential part of all of them, and I believe that's one of the best parts. There are also some online classes for beginners that include instruction on getting into the poses. I do gentle yoga (only gentle for me!) using a couple of videos that I have plus a couple of favorite YouTube videos. The "trick" for me is to take some quiet time for myself. Good luck!

VickiStegall

Administrator
Designer
CHEERY O
Please give yoga another try! And, yes, it probably takes some time to realize how you are benefiting from it. There are several types of yoga and maybe you need to explore different ones. Breathing is an essential part of all of them, and I believe that's one of the best parts. There are also some online classes for beginners that include instruction on getting into the poses. I do gentle yoga (only gentle for me!) using a couple of videos that I have plus a couple of favorite YouTube videos. The "trick" for me is to take some quiet time for myself. Good luck!

Would you mind sharing some of your youtube links for the gentle yoga?

I am so incredibly "tight". No flexibility anymore at all and I feel like I need to do something to improve my chances of aging gracefully.

I think part of my problem with having tried yoga in the past was it was always as part of a "get skinny" program so it was often Power Yoga or similar and way too advanced for me. Maybe the gentle yoga is just what I need...

felis

It's supposed that I do yoga, I'm starting every January, but fast quit LOL .
I love my instructor as she is lovely, explains very well, and for me as non english is important also that she have nice diction.Her name is Jen Hilman and she have free youtube videos and also special but paid online classes.

My problem is that I have difficults to find alone time, our house is small and with open space, so I feel embarrassed when my family and pets are around lol :tongue1: .

Anyway! Here is one video for Gentle Yoga for Complete Beginners from her https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2FhrqzL4Q0E

VickiStegall

Administrator
Designer
CHEERY O
Thanks Felis! I'm definitely going to check her out.

I used to be embarrassed by doing something like this in front of the family but now I am proud when they walk in and see me doing something. Reason being - because maybe they will see me working to get healthier and it will rub off on them. I can't nag them to be healthy if I'm not doing it too. If they see me being unashamed, it can only be a good thing. and, you know, they've only ever smiled at me and kept going about their business. Nobody stopped and stared and pointed or laughed! Of course not! Why would they? They care about me and like seeing me put my money where my mouth is. I don't know why I ever thought to be embarrassed by this. You know?

FloridaGranny

Thanks, Felis; now there's another video for me to try!

Vicki, I've been doing the YouTube videos by Leslie Nicole called The Mat Project. Here's volume 1: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i6eKyjA8ER4&t=7s but she advances you through several more classes as you feel ready for them.

I like her low-key approach and I do feel great after doing the class.

And I understand embarassment about exercising in front of the family. I don't like anyone watching me, LOL. Now my husband joins me so it's great.

Last edited by a moderator:

AZK

Queen of the Universe
CHEERY O
I'm going to check out some of those links, too! Thanks for posting them. Fitness centers here in Michigan aren't open yet, so videos are it for now! I find that Pilates is a good compromise and have been doing that a couple times a week for about 4 years, but like Vicki, I have really poor flexibility, and I seem to have hit a plateau as far as getting more flexible. My boss insists yoga is the answer!

felis

Thanks Felis! I'm definitely going to check her out.

I used to be embarrassed by doing something like this in front of the family but now I am proud when they walk in and see me doing something. Reason being - because maybe they will see me working to get healthier and it will rub off on them. I can't nag them to be healthy if I'm not doing it too. If they see me being unashamed, it can only be a good thing. and, you know, they've only ever smiled at me and kept going about their business. Nobody stopped and stared and pointed or laughed! Of course not! Why would they? They care about me and like seeing me put my money where my mouth is. I don't know why I ever thought to be embarrassed by this. You know?
It have lots of sense in this, Vicki. But I'm feeling like it's have something sexual in a sweat, stretching body. I know it's sounds immature! I was in school with mostly boys, so can we count it as a school trauma?! LOL!

I'm going to check out some of those links, too! Thanks for posting them. Fitness centers here in Michigan aren't open yet, so videos are it for now! I find that Pilates is a good compromise and have been doing that a couple times a week for about 4 years, but like Vicki, I have really poor flexibility, and I seem to have hit a plateau as far as getting more flexible. My boss insists yoga is the answer!
Angie, I can't give advice as I'm not familiar enough. But I start yoga because my joints was in pain and stiff as a side effect of wrong med treatment in past, and it's helps me a lot. As I feels it mostly in bad weather, that's why I'm 'come and go' to yoga mostly at winter time.

Nickel

Feeling Owsome at the O!
CHEERY O
I have a subscription to the Dutch website Yoga tv with all kind of styles and teachers , even meditation classes, ghe only thing I have to do is..Just do it..

VickiStegall

Administrator
Designer
CHEERY O
It have lots of sense in this, Vicki. But I'm feeling like it's have something sexual in a sweat, stretching body. I know it's sounds immature! I was in school with mostly boys, so can we count it as a school trauma?! LOL!

HAH! When I work out, the last thing I feel is sexy. In fact, it's quite the OPPOSITE! maybe in about 20 lbs down....

I have a subscription to the Dutch website Yoga tv with all kind of styles and teachers , even meditation classes, ghe only thing I have to do is..Just do it..

the only thing you have to is.. Just do it... THAT'S THE HARD PART! LOL

AZK

Queen of the Universe
CHEERY O
Thanks, Felis; now there's another video for me to try!

Vicki, I've been doing the YouTube videos by Leslie Nicole called The Mat Project. Here's volume 1: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i6eKyjA8ER4&t=7s but she advances you through several more classes as you feel ready for them.

I like her low-key approach and I do feel great after doing the class.

And I understand embarassment about exercising in front of the family. I don't like anyone watching me, LOL. Now my husband joins me so it's great.

I wanted to pop back in and say that I've done a couple of these videos and I really like them! They are just easy enough that I don't get frustrated. Gyms here in Michigan are still closed so who knows if/when I'll ever get back into a studio. I haven't checked out Felis's link yet, but plan to.

Thanks for the tip!

Cherylndesigns

I'm in The Zone ~ The "O" Zone
CHEERY O
I've done yoga on and off for years. I also practiced Tai Chi for awhile. I love the discipline of both and the deep core workout. What I have done for over 20 years is Callanetics. I'm not religious about it anymore, but still try to do it a couple of times a week. Callan Pinkney "invented" Callanetics and it's the only thing that I've ever done that I've seen results from. It's not easy - it was the pre-curser of Pilates.

There are Callanetics videos on You Tube.

VickiStegall

Administrator
Designer
CHEERY O
Oh, I forgot all about this! So, obviously haven't done any yoga lol.... ugh. Thanks for the reminder lol

felis

I am about to start Jen Hillman's video. Wish me luck!
Good luck, Dalis, with a little perseverance quickly it happens easier! :hippie:

Oh, I forgot all about this! So, obviously haven't done any yoga lol.... ugh. Thanks for the reminder lol
I'm on a opposite side, this thread inspired me, and I'm back to yoga.
Now when life here is back to normal and my family is back to work, I have the house for myself long enough. Also I was ask the people on Instagram, and most of them shared your opinion Vicki, that yoga practice looks more comfortable than sexy. :roll:

VickiStegall

Administrator
Designer
CHEERY O
So, I made the mistake of starting a 30 day yoga challenge and thinking it was for beginners and while, you can of course moderate yourself, I was trying to do everything she said because I thought I needed... well, I broke or dislocated my toe! Ridiculous!!!!! Now I can't do a thing.

scribler

The O is my hOme.
CHEERY O
So, I made the mistake of starting a 30 day yoga challenge and thinking it was for beginners and while, you can of course moderate yourself, I was trying to do everything she said because I thought I needed... well, I broke or dislocated my toe! Ridiculous!!!!! Now I can't do a thing.

That sucks. How long will you be out of commission?

VickiStegall

Administrator
Designer
CHEERY O
That sucks. How long will you be out of commission?

Not too long I hope. I was able to go for a short walk this morning but now I'm paying for it tonight but not nearly as badly as it was. I'm hoping it will be fine by next week *fingers crossed* It's mostly just embarrassing and annoying - who does that? lol

felis

So sorry to hear this, Vicki! Hope you're feeling better now!
Don't let this to discourage you! Have so many poses for sit and in lie down position.