Oscraps

Why Are These Dr's Allowed to Practice Medicine?

hondachicc

Ok...so I am gonna rant a little myself today! My aunt was diagnosed with colon cancer about a year ago, and had surgery to remove part of her colon. The surgery seemed to go well and she went home in about 5 days. But...here is where the real nightmare begins....they did not send her home with any antibiotics. She developed an infection and was back in the hospital 10 days later. She stayed for 3 days, then was sent home again...with no anitbiotics to take at home. The infection reared its ugly self in a few days, this time worse than before. She went back into the hospital where she stayed for 5 weeks. Once she was finally cleared she went home, feeling better, doing well, until.......she started passing bowel through her urine!! All the while, she was suppose to be starting her cancer treatments, but couldn't. After running tests, they determined that during the surgery, everything was connected back the wrong way...back to the hospital for MORE surgery (with us all begging her to change doctors, she was so sick and so tired to do anything different and refused..thinking it was all just a mistake, that the dr could correct). This time she had to have a collostomy. That was in November...to date...this dr has given her every run around about her treatment, and why she can't eat, gain weight, and reverse the collostomy. She has been getting her cancer treatments, which makes her really sick! A few weeks ago, she noticed that she had bowel in her urine AGAIN!! The Dr said it was an infection and gave her medicine...didn't clear up, obviously. She went back and the good old Doc says "I have done all I can do for you. I won't see you anymore, I am sending you to a gynecologist." What the H@#@ is that???!!! She went to the GYN...BTW..he happened to be my GYN...he told her there was nothing he could do for her, but he would help her get the best care possible. This is why we drove 2 hours today to go to UVA Medical Center. It was a LONG day...Lots of waiting and waiting...but she finally saw the doctor. He says he can fix the problem of the bowel in the urine, but not sure about reversing the collostomy. He is not too optimistic about that. But she has to wait until she is finished with the cancer treatments..which will be October. WHY WHY WHY are people allowed to practice medicine that apparently so not know what they are doing??? Thanks for letting me rant!!

wombat146

ONA - Administrator
CHEERY O
Oh Linda! that is just so terrible! Your poor Aunt!! Don't worry it happens down here in Australia as well!! One of best friends went in for a SIMPLE surgery procedure, something that was supposed to only keep her from work for a couple of days, next minute she's being airlifted to a hospital in Queensland close to death! Seems the surgeon (?) has nicked other internal parts and had caused septicaemia which nearly killed her!!!
It just isn't right! So sorry to hear that your Aunt also has cancer, what a nightmare to be living through. It was so good of you to take her to have some proper care done! Hope things settle down a bit for her, poor lady! Lots of hugs and healing thoughts are coming your way sweetie!! xo

LSlycord

Oh Linda...so sorry to hear about your aunt. It's so sad when it's a medical mistake that causes the pain!

hondachicc

Thanks girls...and yes it is AWEFUL when so much pain and suffering is associated with a medical condition, but just HORRIBLE when it's not necessary, due to medical error!

sandracvrt

that's terrible... my advice would be to get a lawyer... see about suing for malpractice... he shouldn't be allowed to practice medicine with mistakes like that!

faerywings

The Loopy-O
CHEERY O
ITA with Sandra- for the protection of other patients as well as hopefully getting some of her bills repaid.

Iit boggles my mind that someone would have "colon" surgery and *not* get sent home with abx. Colon--- Seriously?! That is a breeding ground for bacteria.....literally!
Even when I had my wisdom teeth removed, I was sent home with a z-pack. And I am pretty sure my mouth has less bacteria than a colon (unless you count the BS that comes out of it on occasion JK!!!)

My thoughts are with her and you and Mom. I hope that this new dr can get her back as healthy as can be!

hondachicc

that's terrible... my advice would be to get a lawyer... see about suing for malpractice... he shouldn't be allowed to practice medicine with mistakes like that!

She has finally agree to talk to a lawyer. We have been trying to get her to since we found out how bad the surgery was botched!!

Thanks for your support ladies!!

faerywings

The Loopy-O
CHEERY O
I am so glad to hear that- I was telling Gary about this yesterday and it is just crazy.
How is she feeling today?

hondachicc

Thanks Chris....Most of her days are pretty rough! She stays so tired and nauseated most of the time! She won't be through with the Chemo until October, and then she goes back to UVA and sets things up for surgery. I suspect she will not feel any better until after this is all done! :( Thanks for asking and your support!! I will update when she speaks with a lawyer.

Soco

I'm so sorry to hear all this Linda! All my thoughts are with your aunt, you and your family!

snappy2003

((((hugs)))) My prayers and thoughts are with you and your family. That's just horrible. I hear lots of stories like that unfortunately. We have a bariatric(gastric bypass) surgeon here who during patients pre-op testing had found lung cancer on chest xrays and things like that but wouldn't tell the patient or consult another doctor about it....until AFTER their gastric bypass. Thankfully, he lost his license. Some doctors are money hungry and careless, it's sickening.

I hope everything turns out ok. Keep us posted!

faerywings

The Loopy-O
CHEERY O
((((hugs)))) . We have a bariatric(gastric bypass) surgeon here who during patients pre-op testing had found lung cancer on chest xrays and things like that but wouldn't tell the patient or consult another doctor about it....until AFTER their gastric bypass. Thankfully, he lost his license. Some doctors are money hungry and careless, it's sickening.
Please tell me you are joking. :(

And meanwhile, Lyme drs are losing their licenses because of political crap and can't treat their patients the way they need to be treated. :mad:

health care should not be motivated solely by money and profit!

I am so sorry, you can tell this is a hot button issue for me. It angers me so much that so many people are hurt and scammed by the people who are supposed to be keeping them healthy and safe.

Linda-- could you please tell your Aunt that she has loads of people here who are thinking and praying for her? Maybe that will give her at least a bit of comfort.