Oscraps

Who is going to watch The Fall of the House of Usher?

faerywings

The Loopy-O
CHEERY O
Are you a Mike Flanagan fan? We are in this house. One of our favorite shows of all time is The Haunting Of Hill House. That was the perfectly spooky and creepy series. I think we watched it three times. We enjoyed his second Netflix series, The Haunting of Bly Manor, but it wasn't on the same level as Hill House. We really liked Midnight Mass too, again-- not on the same level as Hill House.

Now there is another series that starts streaming today, The Fall of the House of Usher. So far the reviews are mostly positive. I have a feeling that we will compare it to Hill Hosue but if it is as good as the reviews, it sounds like it will be some good, creepy fun

tanteva

all i need is Oscraps, cOffee, chOcOlate & tOfu
I've read The Fall of the House of Usher. Ages ago, when I studied literature. As I remember it's a very good story. Scary without the jump-out-of-the-sofa-effects, just a terrible feeling of dread.

Is it on Netflix?

faerywings

The Loopy-O
CHEERY O
I read about 675 years ago, so I’m planning to watch — but not at night. Lol.
Like I said, we have watched Hill House three times (maybe even 4?) and Caitlyn wants to watch it again. The catch-- she has been waiting to watch on a night that her fiance is around. She doesn't want to watch it-- again-- and be alone upstairs at night :floorlaugh:

joyfulheartdesigns

Jenn :)
Designer
Ooooo...I will be looking for this one!! I watched Hill House, but didn't finish Bly because, well, I don't know...I need to go and finish it. I think I had just gotten into watching other things on other streaming services, but the boy was creeping me out and I wasn't feeling the vibe, so maybe that is why? lol I have never heard of this book!

Midnight Mass was GOOOOD!!!

faerywings

The Loopy-O
CHEERY O
We have watched the first two episodes and it isn't scary like Hill House. That one was downright spooky with the hidden ghosts and all-around creepiness of the house.

This one has me sucked in completely as the story develops. It's a slow unfolding (so far) of what you know is eventually coming.
Even though it's not gory (IMO at least) and doesn't have jump-scares, it's not for the faint of heart. The feeling of dread as you watch is strong.

It's also not for anyone squeamish about sex, nudity, and bad language. There's a lot of that.

Vicki Robinson

Designer + Brush Queen + Mac Guru
Designer
We have watched the first two episodes and it isn't scary like Hill House. That one was downright spooky with the hidden ghosts and all-around creepiness of the house.

This one has me sucked in completely as the story develops. It's a slow unfolding (so far) of what you know is eventually coming.
Even though it's not gory (IMO at least) and doesn't have jump-scares, it's not for the faint of heart. The feeling of dread as you watch is strong.

It's also not for anyone squeamish about sex, nudity, and bad language. There's a lot of that.
We’ve done the same … first two episodes. I might have to read the book again, because even overlooking the contemporary setting, I’m have trouble reconciling the two. Have said that, it’s a whacko story, but one that it’s hard to stop watching. Kinda like a train wreck. lol.

Vicki Robinson

Designer
Well, watched Episode 3 yesterday and I decided I'm out. Just too freaky and unsettling for me ... I think I may be too old. lol!

faerywings

The Loopy-O
CHEERY O
I might have to read the book again, because even overlooking the contemporary setting, I’m have trouble reconciling the two. H
It's not based on that particular book. Each episode is based on one of his short stories or poems
I only remember bits and pieces from some of them and now I feel like I have to read the Cliff Notes to better appreciate all of the themes.

If anyone is still watching, Episode Three has a few jump scares and is much more gory.

Vicki Robinson

Designer
It's not based on that particular book. Each episode is based on one of his short stories or poems
I only remember bits and pieces from some of them and now I feel like I have to read the Cliff Notes to better appreciate all of the themes.

If anyone is still watching, Episode Three has a few jump scares and is much more gory.
Well that explains it. Lol. Yeah, Episode 3 was too over the top for me.

Kythe

CHEERY O
Mmmmm not my cup of tea. I like a good murder mystery and some psychological thrillers but not blood and gore horror. Hubby can't even get me to watch 'The Exorcist' which he says is fairly tame.

joyfulheartdesigns

Designer
Mmmmm not my cup of tea. I like a good murder mystery and some psychological thrillers but not blood and gore horror. Hubby can't even get me to watch 'The Exorcist' which he says is fairly tame.
The Exorcist is not fairly tame, if you are someone who didn't grow up watching horror, like I did. I was surprised by the few episodes that I have watched, and the movie itself is NOT tame....LOL I am saying this as someone who grew up watching horribly scary and gory movies at the age of 5, who didn't ASK to be shown those and suffered nightmares, but in my teens and twenties, I DID enjoy the uber scary movies, even with gore, but the last 10-15 years I am not into the bloody stuff much...it has to be a GOOD story and effects that will scare me for me to enjoy it. I like jump scare stuff and paranormal....I watch and listen to real life true crime stuff just about every day (My Favorite Murder is my favorite podcast....don't look it up if you hate murder and cussing, but Georgia and Karen are hilarious!! I AM a Murderino), so the basic stuff in a movie that is supposed to be scary no longer affects me, and it IS basic from what I have already seen in my life. I think I have only watched maybe two or three of the SAW movies because it was just TOO much for me, and the human suffering was too great, even if they HAD done something bad, like ripping off their partner in the business they owned together kind of thing, I don't feel they deserved that kind of abuse and death. Ugh. I would rather watch funny scary movies and spoofs. And I am always looking for a good comedy that isn't too cheesy or raunchy....I can deal with some raunchiness, but some of these movies are just ridiculous and if feels like it's a group of dudes that are in their 30's or 40's and are comedians, and they just try to come up with the most ridiculous and gross things... :knifehead: I am 48, and I am SO immature for my age....I joke around with everyone in my house on the daily, and dirty jokes don't bother me, necessarily, because my "sailor's mouth" is what attracted my husband to me....I have always joked around with the guys and say whatever I want, and guys were my BFF's for quite a while when I was growing up, and in high school. I don't tell dirty jokes to my family or anything like that, don't worry. I am just always in my mind trying to come up with something funny to say....I have been since I was young...and I love changing lyrics to songs, and singing them, just to be extra annoying....LOL Goodness....this has turned into more of a therapy session here....sorry..........LOL When I get on topics like this that DID greatly affect me in my childhood, I just can't shutup, it seems.... :giggle4:

joyfulheartdesigns

Designer
Oh!! And I watched the first episode, last night....I am intrigued, but sad for treatment of some people, so far.....going to go watch another episode now to see how intense it might get. *edited to add that Netlix does say it is gruesome and gory in the description.....;)

faerywings

The Loopy-O
CHEERY O
@joyfulheartdesigns This entire forum turns into my therapy session (Sorry about that Momma O! ;) )
We have now watched 5 of the 8 episodes and each one gets more intense and gory. It's not gory like slasher-gory or Saw-gory. Not to me at least. I can't watch Saw and ones like that at all.

Caitlyn holds it against me that we watched Van Helsing when she was little and she says that it scarred her for life. Which is funny because she and her fiance watch horror movies almost every weekend.
They like the campy ones too-- we watched Killer Clowns from Outer Space with them a few weeks ago.

Do you like history podcasts? I am obsessed with this new one:
After Dark: Myths, Misdeeds and the Paranormal

joyfulheartdesigns

Designer
@joyfulheartdesigns This entire forum turns into my therapy session (Sorry about that Momma O! ;) )
We have now watched 5 of the 8 episodes and each one gets more intense and gory. It's not gory like slasher-gory or Saw-gory. Not to me at least. I can't watch Saw and ones like that at all.

Caitlyn holds it against me that we watched Van Helsing when she was little and she says that it scarred her for life. Which is funny because she and her fiance watch horror movies almost every weekend.
They like the campy ones too-- we watched Killer Clowns from Outer Space with them a few weeks ago.

Do you like history podcasts? I am obsessed with this new one:
After Dark: Myths, Misdeeds and the Paranormal
I'm glad I'm not the only one, Chris!! :giggle4: I think I will keep watching...it IS really well done!!

Van Helsing was a fun one!! You just guided her down the horror path...thankfully she did survive...LOL I have never seen the Killer Clowns movie...will have to look that one up...sounds funny!

I will have to check out that podcast! I will listen to just about anything, unless the podcaster's voice annoys me...:rotfl:

Kythe

CHEERY O
OMG don't let the clowns loose. I hate them and the Chucky dolls too. They just gross me out. I must be a real snowflake.
Funny though, I really like a good Sci-fi dramatic or comedy.

faerywings

The Loopy-O
CHEERY O
Clowns in general are creepy. So are dolls. When Gary (DH) and I were dating, I would occasionally stay overnight. I would sleep in his mom's doll room. She collected dolls and had them on every flat surface, shelves, and in a hutch. There was one that reminded me of Chucky and I teased her about it. Then next time I stayed over, she turned it around so it wasn't staring at me in my sleep hahahah!