Oscraps

Wheel of Time Fans?

Susan - s3js

CHEERY O
I started this series long ago and was so sad when Robert Jordan passed away. Happily, Brian Sanderson stepped up to the plate to finish it with Jordan's notes, yes?

So, have any of you been watching the new Amazon series based on the books? The first one started off slow, but it has since picked up speed. There is much to like and probably much to not. I think the costuming is amazing, especially some of Moraine's outfits.

What do you all think? Do you like the series, hate it? What do you like or dislike about it?

Vicki Robinson

Designer + Brush Queen + Mac Guru
Designer
I'd never heard of this before the Amazon series, but I'm a reluctant fan — in the sense that I can't deal with too much violence. But you're so right about the costuming — it's fabulous. There is something sort of hypnotic about the show and I'm looking forward to the next season.

Susan - s3js

CHEERY O
I'd never heard of this before the Amazon series, but I'm a reluctant fan — in the sense that I can't deal with too much violence. But you're so right about the costuming — it's fabulous. There is something sort of hypnotic about the show and I'm looking forward to the next season.
The books are captivating. Jordan, like Terry Goodkind and Diana Gabaldon, takes the time to develop the lands and the characters. So far this series does a pretty good job of sticking to books. The filming locations are magnificent and in one of the areas my ancestors are from.

wombat146

ONA - Administrator
CHEERY O
I read the books years ago, totally years ago and gave them all to my son when we moved. The books didn't really stick out in my mind and I have forgotten the storyline a bit so for me this series is kind of 'all new' which is perfect in a way as I am not second guessing what 'should' be happening next! LOL! That's why I just couldn't get into the Outlander series on the TV, they had to cut out so very much and while 'Claire' is a brilliant actress, she's not 'my' Claire, the one in my head! lol! Jaimie is perfect though! lol! I stopped watching around the Paris era.

But I am loving this series, the imagery at the beginning in the credits is just stunning and I would love to have a go at doing an art journal page like that. And yes, the costumes are just gorgeous. The special effects they use is also wonderful! I really enjoy watching this series and looking forward to the second instalment.

VickiStegall

Administrator
Designer
CHEERY O
I never read the series because when all my friends were reading them as they came out, I was waiting for it to be finished because I am a total binge reader (and series watcher!). I need closure! I need to know how it ends. Then, I wrote it off completely when the Jordan passed away because of that. I hear it was finished really well and have considered picking it up through the years but haven't.

I've only seen 1 episode so far but I thought it looked wonderful and will probably binge the rest soon!

@wombat146 I stopped watching Outlander somewhere in the Americas because I realized when you read the books the tragedy is more spread out but binge watching episodes, it's just tragedy after depressing tragedy and I was getting depressed watching it. Totally bummed me out. And, yes, Claire was definitely not my Claire.

wombat146

ONA - Administrator
CHEERY O
@VickiStegall That is the problem with bingeing episodes! lol!! I have been bingeing on the old series of ER and goodness, when you watch three or four of those in a row I am like, gotta go find something happy to watch now! hahhaa!

I have caught glimpses of Brianna and Roger in adverts etc and that is another reason I haven't bothered with the series, once again, the Brianna and Roger on the series do not look at all as the characters I have in my head!!! lol!

Susan - s3js

CHEERY O
I read the books years ago, totally years ago and gave them all to my son when we moved. The books didn't really stick out in my mind and I have forgotten the storyline a bit so for me this series is kind of 'all new' which is perfect in a way as I am not second guessing what 'should' be happening next! LOL! That's why I just couldn't get into the Outlander series on the TV, they had to cut out so very much and while 'Claire' is a brilliant actress, she's not 'my' Claire, the one in my head! lol! Jaimie is perfect though! lol! I stopped watching around the Paris era.

But I am loving this series, the imagery at the beginning in the credits is just stunning and I would love to have a go at doing an art journal page like that. And yes, the costumes are just gorgeous. The special effects they use is also wonderful! I really enjoy watching this series and looking forward to the second instalment.
Ona, that's a wonderful idea, the art journal page. Maybe someone will make a kit - hint, hint!

Susan - s3js

CHEERY O
I never read the series because when all my friends were reading them as they came out, I was waiting for it to be finished because I am a total binge reader (and series watcher!). I need closure! I need to know how it ends. Then, I wrote it off completely when the Jordan passed away because of that. I hear it was finished really well and have considered picking it up through the years but haven't.

I've only seen 1 episode so far but I thought it looked wonderful and will probably binge the rest soon!

@wombat146 I stopped watching Outlander somewhere in the Americas because I realized when you read the books the tragedy is more spread out but binge watching episodes, it's just tragedy after depressing tragedy and I was getting depressed watching it. Totally bummed me out. And, yes, Claire was definitely not my Claire.
I do agree on that, Claire is not what's in my head, nor are Brianna and Roger. Where are Roger's brilliant green eyes? But Jamie? Wouldn't kick him out for eating crackers in bed! He's well-cast. My oldest son is watching both series with me. I gave him the books as he got old enough for Outlander and he got hooked and he's reading Wheel of Time now.

Nickel

Feeling Owsome at the O!
CHEERY O

I have the same but with Jamie which look liked Mel Gibson in my head..

ETA Mel Gibson from Braveheart of course

Last edited:

janedee

We just finished watching Season 1 last night. I loved it, even though some of the characters aren't who I imagined them to be. Its probably ten years since I read the series so I'm glad I don't remember all the details from the books, although now I'm feeling a hankering to reread all of them again!

taxed4ever

Administrator Crazy about the "O"
CHEERY O
I just started watching Wheel of Time yesterday afternoon on Prime Video, hope to watch a couple more today. Yes the costumes are amazing!! I am in the middle of the newest Outlander Audio book and loving it!

zanthia

CHEERY O
have not watched it but was waiting for it to be done so will be starting soon - looking forward to it as have heard really good thing about it

AZK

Queen of the Universe
CHEERY O
I don't think I'd ever heard of Wheel of Time until I started seeing the ads for the series. Since I don't have Prime, I think I'll just read the books.

I do love Outlander, though, and just subscribed to Starz again in anticipation of the new season starting in March. Trudy, I'm glad you're liking the latest book. I haven't gotten it yet; trying to decide whether to reread the series first.

Susan - s3js

CHEERY O
I don't think I'd ever heard of Wheel of Time until I started seeing the ads for the series. Since I don't have Prime, I think I'll just read the books.

I do love Outlander, though, and just subscribed to Starz again in anticipation of the new season starting in March. Trudy, I'm glad you're liking the latest book. I haven't gotten it yet; trying to decide whether to reread the series first.
My son and I have re-read Outlander multiple times. We just cancelled Starz, but once the new season of Outlander is finished we will get a one month subscription through Amazon and binge watch.

wombat146

ONA - Administrator
CHEERY O
We just finished watching Season 1 last night. I loved it, even though some of the characters aren't who I imagined them to be. Its probably ten years since I read the series so I'm glad I don't remember all the details from the books, although now I'm feeling a hankering to reread all of them again!
Jane, I put my name down at the local library as I too got the urge to read the books after seeing the series! lol! Now when I read I will have TV series characters in my head and not have to make them up! lol!! :)

wombat146

ONA - Administrator
CHEERY O

I have started on the latest book and didn't reread the earlier ones before hand and it hasn't been too bad. Diana gives a short background bio throughout the book so I am about 250 pages in and haven't got lost! lol! I also read on her website that she likes to write her novels as a stand-alone piece so you can just pick one up and read it, no matter where it comes in the series.

I remember when I first bought a book of hers, it was the Drums of Autumn and when I read what it was about on the back cover I just.could.not.start.reading.it then and there and had to wait a few months until I was able to track down the previous books! lol!! So glad I did it that way. I also bought that first book from a bargain bin and paid all of $5 for it! lol!!!

scrap-genie

On the topic of film characters not fitting my image from the books, I've never been able to watch any of the Lord of the Rings movies as none of the characters look "right" to me. But Wheel of Time I don't know either way.

wombat146

ONA - Administrator
CHEERY O
On the topic of film characters not fitting my image from the books, I've never been able to watch any of the Lord of the Rings movies as none of the characters look "right" to me. But Wheel of Time I don't know either way.
I did watch those films and loved them, and for the most part I was happy with the choices. While I read the books a few times, for some strange reason I never actually pictured the characters in my head so it didn't bother me too much. :)

Susan - s3js

CHEERY O
I did watch those films and loved them, and for the most part I was happy with the choices. While I read the books a few times, for some strange reason I never actually pictured the characters in my head so it didn't bother me too much. :)
Wow, how did you manage that, Ona? When the Sword of Truth Chronicles was made I was UBER disappointed with their choices. They didn't get anyone right! The story line was wrong, too. I think they really did a bad job. But I liked LOTR characters from the beginning, although I really only had a clear view of Gandalf, the hobbits, and the elves. Those all pretty much matched my vision, so it was good. I think I'm going to re-read the books, though. Justin has them out right now, but I confess, the print in them is now to small, even with my classes. Must get some stronger ones or maybe I'll read on my kindle. Sigh - I love holding physical books in my hands. It's like hugging and old friend.

faerywings

The Loopy-O
CHEERY O
I just started watching Wheel of Time yesterday afternoon on Prime Video, hope to watch a couple more today. Yes the costumes are amazing!! I am in the middle of the newest Outlander Audio book and loving it!
We watched episode 5 last night. I am enjoying it, it is very different than most of the other shows we are watching. It is a good "escape" show. I never read any of the books and have a hard time figuring out the roles of the Reds/Blues/etc but getting there.

Gary got me Bees for Christmas, is it good?? I am relistening to Book 8 because I would never remember all of the details. Davina Porter will never stop amazing me as a narrator and Diana Gabaldon will never stop amazing me as an author.

wombat146

ONA - Administrator
CHEERY O
Wow, how did you manage that, Ona? When the Sword of Truth Chronicles was made I was UBER disappointed with their choices. They didn't get anyone right! The story line was wrong, too. I think they really did a bad job. But I liked LOTR characters from the beginning, although I really only had a clear view of Gandalf, the hobbits, and the elves. Those all pretty much matched my vision, so it was good. I think I'm going to re-read the books, though. Justin has them out right now, but I confess, the print in them is now to small, even with my classes. Must get some stronger ones or maybe I'll read on my kindle. Sigh - I love holding physical books in my hands. It's like hugging and old friend.
I didn't read the Sword of Truth Chronicles. When I am buying a book I tend to open them anywhere and just read a couple of paragraphs and if the writing style doesn't speak to me then I put it back! lol!!! For LOTR I think the only one that I actually visualised in my head was Arwen, and the actress they chose was perfect! :) oh, and Gandalf, and yes, another perfect match! :)

wombat146

ONA - Administrator
CHEERY O
We watched episode 5 last night. I am enjoying it, it is very different than most of the other shows we are watching. It is a good "escape" show. I never read any of the books and have a hard time figuring out the roles of the Reds/Blues/etc but getting there.

Gary got me Bees for Christmas, is it good?? I am relistening to Book 8 because I would never remember all of the details. Davina Porter will never stop amazing me as a narrator and Diana Gabaldon will never stop amazing me as an author.
Bees is good, I guess with all the other crafting stuff and gardening time, I don't spend a lot of time reading these days so I am only up to page 281 and enjoying it. I didn't even both re-reading the book before this one first like I normally do, but Diana G. pretty much brings the reader up to speed on past happenings which was good! :)

Susan - s3js

CHEERY O
I didn't read the Sword of Truth Chronicles. When I am buying a book I tend to open them anywhere and just read a couple of paragraphs and if the writing style doesn't speak to me then I put it back! lol!!! For LOTR I think the only one that I actually visualised in my head was Arwen, and the actress they chose was perfect! :) oh, and Gandalf, and yes, another perfect match! :)
I have to agree - Liv Tyler was stunning. She's not classically beautiful, but she is fabulously beautiful. The only other one that could have pulled off Gandalf IMO is Patrick Stewart.