Oscraps

What's in YOUR username?

Jam-on-toast

CHEERY O
Many people - family, friends and fellow scrappers - have commented on my username - jam-on-toast. I've called myself that for years... not in real life, of course, though at some point that was my phone's name, but on social media and scrapping sites. And I've been asked if jam on toast is my favorite food. The asnwer is no, it is not, in fact I rarely - if ever - eat it. But about 15 years ago, back in the days when internet was still relatively new and long before email became one's username for most sites, I was signing up for something and looking for a username (agonizing was more like it) and I remember sitting there moaning inwardly that there exist creative people who can just look around and come up with a cool name and I wish I were one of those and... there was an ad in a magazine lying on the table... 'nothing compares to our jam on toast'... so I used THAT just to spite my lack of creativity... and... I've grown to love it over the years...

There are so many usernames here on hte forum... Some are pretty straignforward - such and such Designs - but others are a mystery. So I've been wondering... how did you guys come up with your username?

faerywings

The Loopy-O
CHEERY O
Your screen name story is hysterical. So much more interesting than many of my early ones- chrissi1 or chrissi199. The 199 was b/c it was 1999 and chrissi1 was occasionally already taken.

I use faerywings because I used to have a small craft biz named Faery-Wings Apothecary. I made (still do but only for family and friends) aromatherapy products and love faeries. I even have a faerywings tattoo on my back, just below my neck. I always forget it is there, since I never see it LOL

Nickel

Feeling Owsome at the O!
CHEERY O
Everybody did think of a cool name in those days! Nickel was a pet name of my mom. It has nothing to do with that coin..I kept my nick on YouTube Nickelmoon (really a fuss because Google wants you to use your gmail one) because I wanted something spiritual at that moment

Cherylndesigns

I'm in The Zone ~ The "O" Zone
CHEERY O
Mine, Cherylndesigns is my original watermark for my photography. It's really CherylNDesigns - The N is for my last name. I've kept it over the years. I use CherylNY on FB - When I went back on FB after a couple of year's hiatus, they wouldn't let me have Cherylndesigns back (don't ask) and CherylN was "taken" so they suggested CherylNY and I snagged it. Now people think I live in New York. Hahaha

Vicki Robinson

Designer + Brush Queen + Mac Guru
Designer
Kind of the same for me — back in the day we all had cutesy names because we didn't want to reveal our identities online. My original design name was "Greeneyed Lady Designs."

Before I started designing, my forum name (and email, etc) everywhere was "veejay" and when I got married I changed it to "veejayr." I'd been using "veejay" all my life to sign my art and never really thought about it because my name is Vicki Jean. One year I sent my parents a collage for their anniversary and my Dad commented he couldn't believe I still used "veejay". He told me that when I was very young we had a parrot named "veejay" after a friend and that I liked the name so much, I adopted it —it was purely a coincidence that it was also my initials! Lol.

BrightEyes

Kay
CHEERY O
If you met me in real life.. you would see where the Bright Eyes came from... they are really Bright Blue and most people comment on them.

I finally got it several years ago when dining out with a daughter and daughter-in-law. I saw a waiter step into the room and I couldn't take my eyes off of him and his bright blue eyes. When I said something to them about his eyes, they both broke up laughing and said "Mom, you have the same bright blue eyes that he has!!" And when I lived in Cairo, Egypt, I would wear sunglasses a lot as people would always stare at my eyes.

scrapinmom

CHEERY O
I started out at scrapbook.com as a paper scrapper and choose scrapinmom, because I was a mother and a scrapper. I now go by sharonb at all other sites except for scrapbook.com and Oscraps!

Note to @BrightEyes I have blue eyes which I love and my husband tells me that they shine sometimes as well and are really bright!

Jam-on-toast

CHEERY O
Your screen name story is hysterical. So much more interesting than many of my early ones- chrissi1 or chrissi199. The 199 was b/c it was 1999 and chrissi1 was occasionally already taken.

I use faerywings because I used to have a small craft biz named Faery-Wings Apothecary. I made (still do but only for family and friends) aromatherapy products and love faeries. I even have a faerywings tattoo on my back, just below my neck. I always forget it is there, since I never see it LOL
faerywings is waaaay cooler than chrissi199... and aromatherapy is divine... I love the memory of smelling something nice... I lost my sense of smell during covid and have been living frangrance-free for the last three months and counting... being able to smell nothing - like really nothing and it's a bother when cooking or taking a shower - I know mt shampoos smells great but it doesn't...

Jam-on-toast

CHEERY O
Everybody did think of a cool name in those days! Nickel was a pet name of my mom. It has nothing to do with that coin..I kept my nick on YouTube Nickelmoon (really a fuss because Google wants you to use your gmail one) because I wanted something spiritual at that moment
Spoken like a true memory keeper!

Jam-on-toast

CHEERY O
Mine, Cherylndesigns is my original watermark for my photography. It's really CherylNDesigns - The N is for my last name. I've kept it over the years. I use CherylNY on FB - When I went back on FB after a couple of year's hiatus, they wouldn't let me have Cherylndesigns back (don't ask) and CherylN was "taken" so they suggested CherylNY and I snagged it. Now people think I live in New York. Hahaha
Oh, I thought your IN was something like indie or innovative or something design... strange that FB wouldn't let you keep YOUR username... oh, the world of computers is forever bizzarre...

Jam-on-toast

CHEERY O
Kind of the same for me — back in the day we all had cutesy names because we didn't want to reveal our identities online. My original design name was "Greeneyed Lady Designs."

Before I started designing, my forum name (and email, etc) everywhere was "veejay" and when I got married I changed it to "veejayr." I'd been using "veejay" all my life to sign my art and never really thought about it because my name is Vicki Jean. One year I sent my parents a collage for their anniversary and my Dad commented he couldn't believe I still used "veejay". He told me that when I was very young we had a parrot named "veejay" after a friend and that I liked the name so much, I adopted it —it was purely a coincidence that it was also my initials! Lol.
OMG... this is like the sweetest thing ever... great story!!!

Last edited:

Jam-on-toast

CHEERY O
If you met me in real life.. you would see where the Bright Eyes came from... they are really Bright Blue and most people comment on them.

I finally got it several years ago when dining out with a daughter and daughter-in-law. I saw a waiter step into the room and I couldn't take my eyes off of him and his bright blue eyes. When I said something to them about his eyes, they both broke up laughing and said "Mom, you have the same bright blue eyes that he has!!" And when I lived in Cairo, Egypt, I would wear sunglasses a lot as people would always stare at my eyes.
wow.... sunglasses to hide how bright your eyes are? I love your username - very happy and memorable!

Jam-on-toast

CHEERY O
I started out at scrapbook.com as a paper scrapper and choose scrapinmom, because I was a mother and a scrapper. I now go by sharonb at all other sites except for scrapbook.com and Oscraps!

Note to @BrightEyes I have blue eyes which I love and my husband tells me that they shine sometimes as well and are really bright!

I too found my hobby during those years of active motherhood when my kids were much younger... scrapping them made me forget my frustrations and focus on how much I love them instead

wombat146

ONA - Administrator
CHEERY O
Love reading all of these!!! :)

Mine originated when I first 'discovered' ebay, well before I found digi scrapbooking! lol! Trying to come up with an account name for ebay I settled on our then 'street' address: 146 Wombat Creek Road = wombat146. When I first signed up here in 2008 (!!!!) I just used my ebay name............. but then I started seeing all of the other cool names that people were using for their nicks but by then it just seemed too much of a hassle to change it, seeing as I had joined quite a few other sites as well, so here I am, still wombat146 ...... kinda like an old pair of comfy shoes now! lol!

@Vicki Robinson Oh I remember you as Green Eyed lady from Cilenia's site days, when I used to be on the store ct then! lol!!

Jam-on-toast

CHEERY O
Love reading all of these!!! :)

Mine originated when I first 'discovered' ebay, well before I found digi scrapbooking! lol! Trying to come up with an account name for ebay I settled on our then 'street' address: 146 Wombat Creek Road = wombat146. When I first signed up here in 2008 (!!!!) I just used my ebay name............. but then I started seeing all of the other cool names that people were using for their nicks but by then it just seemed too much of a hassle to change it, seeing as I had joined quite a few other sites as well, so here I am, still wombat146 ...... kinda like an old pair of comfy shoes now! lol!

@Vicki Robinson Oh I remember you as Green Eyed lady from Cilenia's site days, when I used to be on the store ct then! lol!!
lol... would uou believe it that I have NOT yet discovered ebay???

Jam-on-toast

CHEERY O
I started out as slurpeegirl13 in my online presence when I first started online stuff way back when. I loved slurpees and my lucky number is 13. 10-12 years ago I decided my username needed to grow up ... my initials are TJ, so TJ Scraps ...not very original!
TJScraps sounds very fancy... professional almost... definitely an upgrade from a slurpee...

scribler

The O is my hOme.
CHEERY O
For some reason, my maiden name seems to be hard for people to spell and pronounce. (Honestly, I do not get it.) Anyway, because my last name was considered hard to say, some college friends started calling me "scribler". When I joined an online forum in late 1996 (just finished college), I decided to go with my real life nick. I've used it ever since.

Back in my IRC days, it ended up being a good choice cause it's gender neutral. My sister had some problems with private messages cause her original nick indicated she was female. I never had that problem.

BrightEyes

Kay
CHEERY O
Vicki... I remember that name... LOL... didn't realize that was who you were back in the day....

vickyday

Love my O Family!
CHEERY O
This has been fun reading! I had no creativity when it came to choosing an online name those many years ago when I signed up at all of the digital scrapbooking sites, lol! My married name at the time was Day, so my very creative online name became vickyday! Sometimes it ends up as vickyday13 at other places because I had to go to #13 when signing up for a gmail account! Who would've thought there were so many Vicky Day's in the world! When my husband died in 2017 and I remarried in 2018, I decided I was NOT going to the trouble of changing everything from Day to Whittemore, LOL! (Is it bad to still feel like I am Vicky Day in my heart after being a Day for 41 years? He really was my soul mate! I still miss him every day!)

FloridaGranny

I've really enjoyed reading everyone's stories about the origins of their screen names ("nom du scrap" my husband says sometimes jokingly). Thanks, Olga, for posting this.
My name choice was pretty straightforward. My grandkids call me Granny and I live in Florida. Pretty non-creative, right? :D But I like it because it describes me and one of the main reasons I scrap. My real name is Diane (Hi "Madi") and if I ever figure out how to add a signature, I'll do that.