Oscraps

What do you do when you lose your mojo?

Cherylndesigns

I'm in The Zone ~ The "O" Zone
CHEERY O
Maybe you never lose your mojo, but I sure do. If you're one who does, how do you get past this?

tanteva

all i need is Oscraps, cOffee, chOcOlate & tOfu
Honestly - I usually just take a break, don't think about it, and the mojo will return. The urge to create will bring it back.

Having said that - sometimes I really HAVE to make a layout (like a CT deadline or something) and there's absolutely no mojo there. Then I try one of 2 things ... or both if I need.

The first is to scrap with something else. Like if I need to make a layout for something here at Oscraps, but can't find inspiration - I go to another store/site - find a kit or a challenge or something. Then I can scrap something that has no demands on me - I can feel free in a way.

The second thing I do is to just open the kit I need to work with. Open one background paper (usually the most neutral one) and then EVERY other file of the kit in PSE and start playing around, just plopping the images on to the background and wait for the magic to happen.

scribler

The O is my hOme.
CHEERY O
Sometimes I just have to wait it out. It cannot be forced. Other times, I find that looking for some new product I really want to play with or participating in a challenge will get me going. Also, the right photograph can spark my mojo sometimes.

VickiStegall

Administrator
Designer
CHEERY O
I find my muse blocks are usually because I'm wrapped up in my head about something else. I find if I just force myself to sit down and open photoshop, that usually gets me over the hurdle. I start with blending papers or recoloring flowers and soon enough I get into the flow and next thing I know, I'm rocking along. So, really for the me the hurdle is opening photoshop at all lol

wombat146

ONA - Administrator
CHEERY O
Yes to all of the above, and like a lot of you I just start to play........ I just open a couple of kits and start making clusters, or blend two or three (or 4 or 5) papers together.......... once I just start mucking around I end up wanting to use my 'finished' product for something. But if that doesn't work, I go out to do some gardening, go for a walk with my camera, or play around with some real life art journaling stuff. And last but certainly not least, just go and relax and just do nothing for a while, have a coffee, a cup of tea or a glass of wine and just chill! :)

margje

The O is awesOme
To quickly regain my inspiration, I spoil all my senses! I look at beautiful things, I listen my favorite music,I feel the wind in my hair or the rain on my skin, I taste new things or cook what I really like. I disappear from the internet for a while and have to settle down with my feet on the ground again, preferably on a beach in the sand! ;)

Kythe

CHEERY O
I quite often play around making photomasks when I am stuck. Once I get something I like I want to try it out mashing papers together using the mask. That usually gets me wanting to add a photo and there I go.

Cherylndesigns

CHEERY O
Honestly - I usually just take a break, don't think about it, and the mojo will return. The urge to create will bring it back.

Having said that - sometimes I really HAVE to make a layout (like a CT deadline or something) and there's absolutely no mojo there. Then I try one of 2 things ... or both if I need.

The first is to scrap with something else. Like if I need to make a layout for something here at Oscraps, but can't find inspiration - I go to another store/site - find a kit or a challenge or something. Then I can scrap something that has no demands on me - I can feel free in a way.

The second thing I do is to just open the kit I need to work with. Open one background paper (usually the most neutral one) and then EVERY other file of the kit in PSE and start playing around, just plopping the images on to the background and wait for the magic to happen.
Great answers, Eva! I love both of your "approaches"!!

Cherylndesigns

CHEERY O
Sometimes I just have to wait it out. It cannot be forced. Other times, I find that looking for some new product I really want to play with or participating in a challenge will get me going. Also, the right photograph can spark my mojo sometimes.i

Sometimes I just have to wait it out. It cannot be forced. Other times, I find that looking for some new product I really want to play with or participating in a challenge will get me going. Also, the right photograph can spark my mojo sometimes.
I totally agree with all of these things! Getting new photographs usually sparks my creativity or looking at new kits or designs.

Cherylndesigns

CHEERY O
I find my muse blocks are usually because I'm wrapped up in my head about something else. I find if I just force myself to sit down and open photoshop, that usually gets me over the hurdle. I start with blending papers or recoloring flowers and soon enough I get into the flow and next thing I know, I'm rocking along. So, really for the me the hurdle is opening photoshop at all lol
Oh, this is SO me, Vicki!! What's "in my head" is probably my biggest block, too! I love that you just sit down and open PS!

Cherylndesigns

CHEERY O
Yes to all of the above, and like a lot of you I just start to play........ I just open a couple of kits and start making clusters, or blend two or three (or 4 or 5) papers together.......... once I just start mucking around I end up wanting to use my 'finished' product for something. But if that doesn't work, I go out to do some gardening, go for a walk with my camera, or play around with some real life art journaling stuff. And last but certainly not least, just go and relax and just do nothing for a while, have a coffee, a cup of tea or a glass of wine and just chill! :)
I agree with everything you said, Ona! Sometimes, all I have to do is grab my camera and take a walk outside. Just sitting down and "playing" on PS gets me motivated too.

Cherylndesigns

CHEERY O
To quickly regain my inspiration, I spoil all my senses! I look at beautiful things, I listen my favorite music,I feel the wind in my hair or the rain on my skin, I taste new things or cook what I really like. I disappear from the internet for a while and have to settle down with my feet on the ground again, preferably on a beach in the sand! ;)
These are all beautiful ideas to regain your mojo, Margje! I love them all.

Cherylndesigns

CHEERY O
I quite often play around making photomasks when I am stuck. Once I get something I like I want to try it out mashing papers together using the mask. That usually gets me wanting to add a photo and there I go.
What a great idea, Kythe! I must remember this one!