Oscraps

Weird, Funny, or Offensive Laws

Susan - s3js

CHEERY O
Through the ages there have been tons of laws that make no sense or that offend us today. They may have made sense then, but taken out of context they don't. Please share if you know of some. I'll start with a couple.

My great uncle, Eli Wood, was arrested in the 1920s for possession of 200 pounds of sugar. Huh? Sugar? What the...? Then I remembered. Eli was both a blacksmith AND a farmer. You use sorghum or molasses to make sweet feed for your stock, not sugar. But you use sugar and corn mash the farmer produced in a still the blacksmith made and you get moonshine. My great grandfather made his own spirits. His father paid federal income taxes on the liquor he made in the mid-1800s, so he must have made some fine stuff - legally. Uncle Eli was a moonshiner during Prohibition.

Then one or two that are just funny. In Kentucky it's illegal to carry an ice cream cone in your back pocket in public on Sunday.
In North Carolina a law is till on the books prohibiting back pockets on women's jeans. It seems they are just too sexy and alluring!

Last edited:

VickiStegall

Administrator
Designer
CHEERY O
Great story Susan! And, love those 2 laws.

Apparently it is illegal to practice Whaling in Oklahoma :)

Taking a bite out of someone else's hamburger. (I can get behind this law lol)

Females are not allowed to do their own hair unless they are licensed by the state. (Apparently I am a repeat offender because I've done my own hair MANY times lol)

Susan - s3js

CHEERY O
Great story Susan! And, love those 2 laws.

Apparently it is illegal to practice Whaling in Oklahoma :)

Taking a bite out of someone else's hamburger. (I can get behind this law lol)

Females are not allowed to do their own hair unless they are licensed by the state. (Apparently I am a repeat offender because I've done my own hair MANY times lol)
I lived in Oklahoma for years and never knew any of that. I guess I'd have to go to jail with you - I did my own hair main times, too! Whaling huh? Makes you wonder what they were drinking!

Susan - s3js

CHEERY O
This thread made me think of this layout I made a while back:

I'm on the phone right now and for the life of me I can't copy & paste. You have to go to the gallery and read the translation.
Wow! Imagine rolling the dice - gambling - for your life. Eva, that is such an intriguing story. In Turkey (I thin that was the right place) a man could make his wife serve his jail sentence. I'm not sure that law remains, but...