Oscraps

Val and Lilja and any other Iceland ladies

faerywings

The Loopy-O
CHEERY O
I have been reading about the volcano and earthquakes issues you have been having the last few days. And there might be a second volcano too? Please don't ask me to spell or pronounce either of the names but I hope that you are nowhere near them and won't be affected. I also really hope that they just rumble a bit and then stop!!

Please let us know how you are!
Be safe :hug:

ourmisadventures

I just was headed over here to ask the same!!! Val are you done traveling for the summer?? I can't remember, I hope you're done so you don't get stuck away from home!!!

liljatr

It's just earthquakes and "belly-aches". It's been building up in the media more than in the actual volcano. In any case, I'm pretty sure, even if it does erupt, it's not going to affect too many people.

Val, are you downtown today/tonight?

Last edited by a moderator:

val

oops,

Lilja, no I actually did not go to menigarnot, yesterday, I spent my day in Kolaprtið... and wash dead when I got back home :(. did you?
are you in reykjavik, now?

Meg, yes I am back home since 2 weeks, now.

and the volcano is way away from me or Lilja.

I think it will erupt, but everything has been set up, and a big south east part of iceland has been isolated. (meaning that the road are closed so tourist won't get anywhere close, and to prevent flooding damage, but the aera is rather unhabited, it is manily a glacier and the high land which will suffer from the eruption)

today, a recent hearthquacke center has been estimated only 500m under the surface, but we still have no much clues about what will be next. (and there is ice on the top of that)

like lilja said, I think not a lot of people will be affected (except the touristic place which are not accessible from now on)
Iceland is quite used to that things, and they have learn to get some kind of organisation... (at least I hope LOL)
since we arrived here, 12 years ago, it has been eruptions (or close) every 4years ...

thanks for checking Chris, I actually did not realise that it was so much cover abroad!
LOL the tiny little iceland is messing up again :)
let's have fun!

v

liljatr

Yes, my husband ran a half marathon in the morning so we went downtown early and stayed until 6 pm. We didn't stay for the concert or the fireworks, though :)

As for the volcano, it's still just unrest - and even if it does erupt it may just be a minor one. I think we are just used to the volcanic activity, there are so many of them, but mostly in the center of the country where there are no inhabitants. It's just because it's summer and there are so many tourists travelling the highlands in the center that we are having all this commotion in the media.

And, because we got so much free press with the last one, that we may as well try and milk this one too LOL

Ellen

oh good to hear there won't be too much damage but please tell it not to erupt till Thursday- I'm flying on Wednesday again and don't want to have my flight cancelled because of ashes from Iceland again.

wombat146

ONA - Administrator
CHEERY O
Val and Lilja, so happy to hear that it isn't as serious as we have been hearing and that you guys are okay!! xx

faerywings

The Loopy-O
CHEERY O
Oh Val-- :(

I have actually been following the of this on a US Political Blog, and the person there has been discussing how the magma flow is forming a dike that connects two volcanos? Sounds terrifying.
Hope that all of this stays small and contained and away from you.

liljatr

This is not so terrible. It's actually quite beautiful - nature's magnificence :)

Most of our erupting volcanoes are a bit off the inhabited area of the country. Even if the eruption continues or "rubs off" on another nearby volcano causing it to erupt as well, it's not going to affect people or inhabited places - unless it causes floods in the glacial rivers that run from the glacier towards the ocean. And that will only happen if the glacier itself will erupt - which may still happen, but it's less likely now than in the beginning when the magma was accumulating underneath it.

val

I agree lilja, the picture we can see are amazing!
and we are safe, (and there are no ash :) )

faerywings

The Loopy-O
CHEERY O
That is really good to hear, Lilja. I live in NJ, and while I am not sure about the relative size if NJ to Iceland, we are so population dense, that if anything like this happened it would range from being a PITA for traveling to catastrophic.

I bet it really does look beautiful, Mother Nature is a beauty.

sabdesbois

Feeling at hOme!
Wow, this is so beautiful, thanks for sharing Lilja!

I guess it must be terribly hot around the volcano. And all these smokes too!