Oscraps

Travel Plans

LSlycord

Good morning all. How is everyone doing? I have the travel bug really bad. I'm feeling pretty fortunate because travel has opened up where I am and I am so ready. Still plenty of precautions but it's doable.:D

I had a good friend come last week and she spent 6 days with us. It was so great. She had never spent that much time with my kids so that gave them all plenty of time to get to know each other.

We have made plans to fly back to Iowa for July 4th. We moved from Iowa to Florida in June 2019. We have been back there 3 times. First time in September 2019, then in October 2019, then in July 2020. As you can see, we traveled back frequently pre-Covid. September 2019 was my niece's bridal shower, October 2019 was her wedding. Then Covid hit. We masked up and traveled back to see everyone in July 2020 but we haven't been back since. I've missed my nephew's wedding and my great-nephew's birth (5 months and haven't met him yet). One niece did come here to stay with us and visit for a few days.

Now I am ready for the "new normal". Fully vaccinated and heading back for a week at the end of June and staying over the 4th of July so we can watch the parade and fireworks in my hometown.

And, before that, Shaun's best friend is flying down for a week to stay with us. They already have so many plans...trying to get some diving in before we go back. They are both swimmers and Will is a real outdoors type so I know that they plan to do snorkeling, kayaking, fishing and who knows what else. I'm thinking we may take a long weekend while he is here and head someplace fun.

Now, tell me, do you have any travel plans? If you can't travel quite yet, where will your first destination be?

veer

I love the "O"
CHEERY O
Our budget is currently not big enough to go on holiday, we are still busy with setting up our garden, finishing our veranda, but we certainly want to spend a few days in a hotel this summer, if corona allows it. . And next year I hope to visit Ireland.

scribler

The O is my hOme.
CHEERY O
Maybe in August for our 20th anniversary. Two weeks from Tuesday, we'll both be fully vaccinated but I'm not certain that traveling will be a good idea in August with the decline in vaccination rates.

LSlycord

Our budget is currently not big enough to go on holiday, we are still busy with setting up our garden, finishing our veranda, but we certainly want to spend a few days in a hotel this summer, if corona allows it. . And next year I hope to visit Ireland.
We had planned to do a European trip this year. I had always planned to take the kids back to visit China but neither was interested so we had decided on a nice long visit to Europe. That is now off...I don’t know if we will get a chance to try again or not.

LSlycord

Maybe in August for our 20th anniversary. Two weeks from Tuesday, we'll both be fully vaccinated but I'm not certain that traveling will be a good idea in August with the decline in vaccination rates.
It is hard to predict. I am trying to act as f it will be ok to travel then, but we won’t do it if it seems unsafe.

tanteva

all i need is Oscraps, cOffee, chOcOlate & tOfu
Latest is that the vaccination for our age group will begin in early June. Hubby has the later vacation period this year (mid-July to mid-August) so MAYBE we can do something this year. Usually we take the car and visit a town we've never been to before. Book a night or two at a hotel and explore the town. Most often it's a town that we have found that our ancestors been living in or something like that. It's like genealogical research and travelling in a neat package.

I've been wanting to go to Norway and check out where my great great great grandfather (maybe one or two more great, I'm not sure) came from. But Norway is expensive so we've been putting it off. Also, wanted to go to Finland for the same reason, both me and hubby have ancestors from Finland, but that's been put off, because language barrier plus fear of ferries LOL Now we're not welcome in either Norway or Finland. Swedes are the paria in Nordic countries LOL

What I most of all want is to go back to Vadstena. It's paradise on Earth. A small town with lots of medieval history. Love that place.

janedee

We have a trip planned to visit the family cottage in late August. We'll all be vaccinated by then so we're crossing our fingers that we'll be able to go. We had hoped to do a trip to Europe in the fall but I doubt that will happen.

VickiStegall

Administrator
Designer
CHEERY O
Latest is that the vaccination for our age group will begin in early June. Hubby has the later vacation period this year (mid-July to mid-August) so MAYBE we can do something this year. Usually we take the car and visit a town we've never been to before. Book a night or two at a hotel and explore the town. Most often it's a town that we have found that our ancestors been living in or something like that. It's like genealogical research and travelling in a neat package.

I've been wanting to go to Norway and check out where my great great great grandfather (maybe one or two more great, I'm not sure) came from. But Norway is expensive so we've been putting it off. Also, wanted to go to Finland for the same reason, both me and hubby have ancestors from Finland, but that's been put off, because language barrier plus fear of ferries LOL Now we're not welcome in either Norway or Finland. Swedes are the paria in Nordic countries LOL

What I most of all want is to go back to Vadstena. It's paradise on Earth. A small town with lots of medieval history. Love that place.
This sounds wonderful!!! I love the idea of picking a town. Our towns aren't as interesting as European towns - not as long of a history - but could still be nice for short get aways!

VickiStegall

Administrator
Designer
CHEERY O
We have a trip planned to visit the family cottage in late August. We'll all be vaccinated by then so we're crossing our fingers that we'll be able to go. We had hoped to do a trip to Europe in the fall but I doubt that will happen.
that sounds wonderful! I hope you get to go!

tanteva

This sounds wonderful!!! I love the idea of picking a town. Our towns aren't as interesting as European towns - not as long of a history - but could still be nice for short get aways!
Every town is interesting if you just give it a try. I love walking the streets, try some restaurants or cafés. Maybe there are museums. Just looking at other people's gardens can be interesting. And do I need to mention hotel breakfasts? LOL

tanteva

We had hoped to do a trip to Europe in the fall but I doubt that will happen.

Last I heard is that fully vaccinated Americans will be able to travel to the European Union as of this summer. Guess it could change if things get worse again. Let's cross our fingers!

veer

I love the "O"
CHEERY O
We had planned to do a European trip this year. I had always planned to take the kids back to visit China but neither was interested so we had decided on a nice long visit to Europe. That is now off...I don’t know if we will get a chance to try again or not.
If you ever come to europe we need to arrange that we can meet !

Cherylndesigns

I'm in The Zone ~ The "O" Zone
CHEERY O
I'm definitely not ready to climb onto a plane! They're germ vats at the best of times. They're social distancing before you get on, and they pack people together like sardines. No thanks! Traveling out here was enough for me for awhile. That was only less than a year ago and we drove through Hurricane Laura on our way.

tanteva

I'm definitely not ready to climb onto a plane! They're germ vats at the best of times. They're social distancing before you get on, and they pack people together like sardines. No thanks!

I'm totally with you! I'm really not ready to travel, even within our country. Right now the virus is still spreading wildly in most parts of Europe, but it's slowly getting better. And they think it will be really low in a couple of months.

Heard on the news yesterday that about 33% of Swedes have gotten at least one shot of the vaccine. In the region where I live it's even better, 43%. And it's happening fast right now. I think they said about 400.000 a week is vaccinated (Sweden has a population of about 10 million).

Hubby has the later vacation period this year, mid-July to mid-August. I do hope the restrictions will be better by then. I want at least ONE night at a hotel this year - with hotel breakfast, a stroll around an unknown town, maybe an open museum, and a dinner at a nice restaurant. I have a favorite chain of Asian food, that doesn't have any restaurant really close ... I could really choose any town where they are located, just to eat there. LOL Just look at the plate top right on this layout, and you see why!

LSlycord

I'm totally with you! I'm really not ready to travel, even within our country. Right now the virus is still spreading wildly in most parts of Europe, but it's slowly getting better. And they think it will be really low in a couple of months.

Heard on the news yesterday that about 33% of Swedes have gotten at least one shot of the vaccine. In the region where I live it's even better, 43%. And it's happening fast right now. I think they said about 400.000 a week is vaccinated (Sweden has a population of about 10 million).

Hubby has the later vacation period this year, mid-July to mid-August. I do hope the restrictions will be better by then. I want at least ONE night at a hotel this year - with hotel breakfast, a stroll around an unknown town, maybe an open museum, and a dinner at a nice restaurant. I have a favorite chain of Asian food, that doesn't have any restaurant really close ... I could really choose any town where they are located, just to eat there. LOL Just look at the plate top right on this layout, and you see why!

That sounds delightful!

LSlycord

I'm definitely not ready to climb onto a plane! They're germ vats at the best of times. They're social distancing before you get on, and they pack people together like sardines. No thanks! Traveling out here was enough for me for awhile. That was only less than a year ago and we drove through Hurricane Laura on our way.
Actually, our best flying experience was last July. Very limited passengers and the airports were almost empty. It was eerie. I don't think that it will be quite as nice in June when we go back. But we will all be fully vaccinated and masked up. Fingers crossed that we don't start having spikes before then.

LSlycord

I hope that the family cottage works out. Hopefully things settle down by August.

LSlycord

Oh that is very good news about the vaccination. June is now just around the corner.

Madi

Diane
CHEERY O
it is going to be a strange summer again, i think.
i hope with the vaccinations all around things will get better, i don't think there is another way to get back to normal than vaccinations.
here everything is starting to open up slowly. and when parks, theaters etc and restaurants will open up they plan to do a lot of tests.
so with your passport this summer you will also need a vaccination passport, and a negative test result to go anywhere?

faerywings

The Loopy-O
CHEERY O
Last year I had travel plans that were canceled. Same with my kids. Nothing here yet for me but my mom and I are tossing around the idea of going down the shore for a few days in September. Her health isn't the best so I am feeling a bit cautious to plan that far ahead.
My kids have an annual camping trip planned, they just put the deposit down and are very excited about it. Scott and his GF are tentatively going to a music festival in Sept. It was canceled last year and they still have the tickets. But the festival they were supposed to be at last June in Colorado and was rescheduled for this June -- they decided that they aren't quite ready to get on a plane in a month but they might drive up to VT instead.

As for Vax Passports- that is a can of worms being debated in the US so I am going to not wade into that. *puts tape over mouth*

Cherylndesigns

I'm in The Zone ~ The "O" Zone
CHEERY O
Actually, our best flying experience was last July. Very limited passengers and the airports were almost empty. It was eerie. I don't think that it will be quite as nice in June when we go back. But we will all be fully vaccinated and masked up. Fingers crossed that we don't start having spikes before then.
That was last July. My SIL flies all the time and believe me it's NOT like that now!!!