Oscraps

Totally Off Topic-Alexa

SharLamb

Sharron
My son gave me an Echo Dot (Alexa) for my birthday. I've spent time on line reading up about all the "wonderful" things this device can do for me, and can't find a single thing I really want it for. DS is excited to get us going with smart light bulbs and a smart device for our irrigation system, but we just don't want to be bothered with new techie things we have to learn. We're happy to turn the lights off without Alexa's help, and DH is happy with the way the timer on our sprinkler system works. I've got my computer set up to play my songs using Spotify, and don't really care to have music going in other rooms. If I want to know how the traffic is doing or what the temperature outside is, or set a timer for 10 minutes, or wake me up, I can ask Siri or Google to do it on my phone.

I really feel like this technology is wasted on me. Can anyone here convince me I should keep this device? I really want to give it back to DS. :eek:hwell:

VickiStegall

Administrator
Designer
CHEERY O
We turned ours off and said forget it because it would start talking when the TV somehow set it off. About the only thing I used it for was to hollar, hey Alexa, tell me a joke. :)

Madi

Diane
CHEERY O
I had to google this, never heard of alexa,
But it sounds like a great question for alexa, see if she can convince you!

SharLamb

Sharron
Well, we decided to keep Alexa because we're afraid our DS would be horribly disappointed if we didn't. I will put her on my bedside table and use her for white noise (which I use every night), and save my white noise machine for travel. I only use an alarm clock once or twice a year (wake me to get to the airport for my flight!), but she can do that too.

Maybe I will find some other talents she has, and learn to love her. ??? If I remember, I'll post a progress report in a few months. ;)

scrapinmom

CHEERY O
Great topic...I think white noise at night is a great use for it, but I use Amazon music for that (free). I would like to hear if anyone has any real uses for it!

felis

First time I hear about that, sounds like a very cool innovation. I'm afraid that will be totally useless for my house, because I don't have any of these smart home devices, I just don't trust them. But to can create immediately to-do lists, sounds great for me, I always put sticky note somewhere and try to find it after that. Or may be to use it for guided meditations.
I definitely want to hear for your progress!
I also think that will be very disappointing if you bring it back. But you can tell him something like how much you like to use it for white noise, but you are curious what other ideas he had, I guess he is bought it for some reason. Maybe you miss something cool.

SharLamb

Sharron
argh. The white noise feature is useless. It goes through its cycle, then stops for several seconds and starts again. Well, THAT wakes me up! One step closer to being returned to DS and chancing his hurt feelings.

faerywings

The Loopy-O
CHEERY O
That is why I can't sleep with air conditioners on. The on/off wakes me every time.
Sorry that the white noise isn't working out for you. Maybe if you explain to him how you gave it your best shot he won't be too upset. If it were me, I would be more upset about spending the money on something you can't use. Maybe he will feel the same?

SharLamb

Sharron
Yes, Chris, that was the wording I had in mind. Money isn't an issue with this DS! He already has two Echoes but I'm sure he has another room that will accommodate one, so it won't go to waste.

SharLamb

Sharron
PLUS!!!! I HAVE to believe that if Alexa can hear me, so can the people who own her!
Sure. They SAY they don't connect until I say her name, but I am discovering that, as Dr. House always said, "Everyone lies." The Thought Police are getting closer and closer. I don't want a knock on the door from the Politically Correctness Police! ;)

VickiStegall

Administrator
Designer
CHEERY O
If you don't believe they aren't already listening to us, try talking about Disney in the car and see how long it takes for Disney ads to pop up everywhere.....

scribler

The O is my hOme.
CHEERY O
I am here to be thee one that says she loves her Echo. I've had mine since 2014 when you needed an invite to buy one and the price for Prime members was half that of non members. I use Echo for my smart outlet. We have a timer to turn on the light on weekend nights. I can also use it to operate my Hue bulbs. I use it to play music, act as an alarm clock. She can also act as a Bluetooth speaker, so I often use it with MacBook Pro cause the speakers on my MacBook are bad. I truly love my Echo.

SharLamb

Sharron
Cindy, I am glad someone stepped forward to defend Alexa. I was feeling sort of sorry for "her." But alas, you haven't convinced me. She is boxed up and ready to go back to DS's house. I know she will be appreciated and well used there.

scribler

The O is my hOme.
CHEERY O
When I got my Alexa she truly was just a first adopters toy. I think Amazon just wanted to see what the interest level would be so they sold them to Prime members for 99. It has since become the leading hub for home automation. My dh has a Google Home and I think my Echo is better.

Did you know that you can tell Alexa to play a specific playlist on Spotify and she'll do it? Also, if you are a SiriusXM subscriber, she can play your SiriusXM channels.

SharLamb

Sharron
I'm weird. I only like to listen to music when I'm in my office, and when here, my computer plays my Spotify songs for me. Alexa is just redundant for me in every way. I'm glad you and my DS love her so much. Everyone needs love. ;)

SharLamb

Sharron
Alexa found her way back to DS yesterday. He was disappointed, thinking I had "given up" too soon, but he didn't fuss at me, and already has a new home in mind for her.

THE END

faerywings

The Loopy-O
CHEERY O
Alexa found her way back to DS yesterday. He was disappointed, thinking I had "given up" too soon, but he didn't fuss at me, and already has a new home in mind for her.

THE END
Just think of yourself as the Foster parent. :laugh:

frani_54

The kids bought us one for Christmas, the only thing we use it for is to find out the temperature for the day! It's not something I need or wanted, but the grandkids have fun blowing it's mind with questions and getting the answer "I do not understand the question". If it was up to me I would just turn it off and get rid of it.

SharLamb

Sharron
We would have done what you did, except our son was already talking about future gifts of smart light bulbs and smart sprinkler system controls. Seriously? If I get to the point where I can't turn off my own lights, just someone take me out behind the barn and....... ! ! !

VickiStegall

Administrator
Designer
CHEERY O
We would have done what you did, except our son was already talking about future gifts of smart light bulbs and smart sprinkler system controls. Seriously? If I get to the point where I can't turn off my own lights, just someone take me out behind the barn and....... ! ! !

bite your tongue lady! lol