Oscraps

The Northern Lights

Cherylndesigns

I'm in The Zone ~ The "O" Zone
CHEERY O
We're pretty excited here - we were able to see a little bit of The Northern Lights tonight! I have never seen them before, and this was the view we got. Not like the true Aurora Borealis of the extreme northern skies, but kind of cool, nevertheless. In 2023, they were visible even further south in the US.

northern-lights-web.jpgnorthern-lights-2-web.jpg

Last edited:

AK_Tracy

That is super cool!!!! I've never seen red before. And we are so light out (like mid day light) and clouds. We probably wont get to see them.

EvelynD2

CHEERY O
We couldn’t see them with the naked eye but saw them when shooting north with our camera flash off. It was beautiful! You are supposed to be able to see them again tonight!

JeanneMN

CHEERY O
Hubs was really excited about the Northern Lights (well excited for him LOL). We set an alarm for 1 am and got up and drove a couple of miles out of town. I thought I was seeing them over our house when we left, but getting away from lights and we could watch them pulsating, brighter, darker, and slow dancing across the sky. He was feeling let down that they weren't colored and was ready to go back home, but I know he said earlier in the day that cameras could 'see' them better than the naked eye. I set my phone camera to night mode and that's when the magic began. Turning around and tipping my head back on a country road, I can't tell you how many times I almost tipped over.

20240511_012630.jpg20240511_012555.jpg

vickyday

Love my O Family!
CHEERY O
We're pretty excited here - we were able to see a little bit of The Northern Lights tonight! I have never seen them before, and this was the view we got. Not like the true Aurora Borealis of the extreme northern skies, but kind of cool, nevertheless. In 2023, they were visible even further south in the US.

View attachment 418865View attachment 418866
Super cool! We only had a little coloring here.

Cherylndesigns

CHEERY O
We couldn’t see them with the naked eye but saw them when shooting north with our camera flash off. It was beautiful! You are supposed to be able to see them again tonight!
Oh wow, I didn't know that - I'll be out looking again tonight!! My granddaughter also saw a shooting star.

Cherylndesigns

CHEERY O
How neat! We didn't see them as we had clouds. @EvelynD2 I didn't know about tonight! I'll be on the look out. :)
I didn't know about tonight either. Last night was super clear and we live out in the country, so no additional lights to take away from the sky. It's been a gorgeous day, so we should get a good view again tonight.

Cherylndesigns

CHEERY O
Hubs was really excited about the Northern Lights (well excited for him LOL). We set an alarm for 1 am and got up and drove a couple of miles out of town. I thought I was seeing them over our house when we left, but getting away from lights and we could watch them pulsating, brighter, darker, and slow dancing across the sky. He was feeling let down that they weren't colored and was ready to go back home, but I know he said earlier in the day that cameras could 'see' them better than the naked eye. I set my phone camera to night mode and that's when the magic began. Turning around and tipping my head back on a country road, I can't tell you how many times I almost tipped over.

View attachment 418887View attachment 418888
You got some great shots, Jeanne! I know what you mean about tipping over - anything to get the shot, right? We live in the country, so don't have the city lights to deal with. I'm anxious to see them again tonight. Thanks for sharing your pictures!

Cherylndesigns

CHEERY O
This is one of the most wonderful natural phenomena that exists, I love being able to watch one up close. You're lucky!
I agree, Ana and we were SO lucky to be able to see them as well as we did. My husband used to fish in N. Minnesota up by Canada and they saw them, but I never had.

VickiStegall

Administrator
Designer
CHEERY O
I stayed up til the late, late hour of 11 pm (LOL I used to be such a night owl - not anymore), went out in the backyard and the city lights were just too bright. So, took myself off to bed. Then I wake up to my facebook feed full of these beautiful photos! I'm going to give it another go tonight and see if I see anything!

Cherylndesigns

CHEERY O
I stayed up til the late, late hour of 11 pm (LOL I used to be such a night owl - not anymore), went out in the backyard and the city lights were just too bright. So, took myself off to bed. Then I wake up to my facebook feed full of these beautiful photos! I'm going to give it another go tonight and see if I see anything!
OMGosh - 11 PM??? J/K - it was SO worth the wait, Vicki. I hope the light show is as awesome tonight as it was last night.

JeanneMN

CHEERY O
You are a complete night owl compared to me, I have close to 3 hours, or at least 2, of shut eye by then. :floorlaugh: :giggle4:

bcgal00

CHEERY O
I wish I had stayed up for it but I ended up falling asleep long before they were visible here but I have seen all the amazing photos posted on FB. Last night we might have seen them again but our skies were too smoky b/c of the BC wildfires.

MariJ

My Facebook feed is pretty much nothing but photos of the lights! I was fast asleep but I wish I were awake for them now.
Any idea of when they might be visible in NJ tonight? I'm an early bird but would set an alarm. I don't have much hope though, it's so cloudy here, thick black ones earlier.

@JeanneMN Your photos are gorgeous, wow.

faerywings

The Loopy-O
CHEERY O
Any idea of when they might be visible in NJ tonight? I'm an early bird but would set an alarm. I don't have much hope though, it's so cloudy here, thick black ones earlier.

I didn't bother looking for any info, it was cloudy up here and I knew I'd be asleep ;)
Did you get a chance to see them? I read a headline that they might be visible for a few more nights, but I am not sure when or where.

MariJ

I didn't bother looking for any info, it was cloudy up here and I knew I'd be asleep ;)
Did you get a chance to see them? I read a headline that they might be visible for a few more nights, but I am not sure when or where.
Ummmmm.. I went to sleep too and since it was cloudy every time I woke up I didn't look further. :sleeping2::floorlaugh:

JeanneMN

CHEERY O
Ummmmm.. I went to sleep too and since it was cloudy every time I woke up I didn't look further. :sleeping2::floorlaugh:

Thank you so much! It was like standing under a slowly rotating disco ball.

janedee

We were so lucky to see them on Friday night, but I didn't manage to stay up again the next night. Not much colour for us until I used my phone camera either and then they were incredible. IMG_4126.JPGIMG_4125.JPG