Oscraps

Supplements

felis

As long as you eating a balanced organic diet this should be enough for your body, but many nutritionists (and Dr. Oz) will insist that, in our modern, GMO-ridden times, we simply can’t be healthy enough without incorporating Supplements into our diets.

So I'd love to hear your opinion about supplements, but also vitamins, digestive enzymes, detox kits and various other powders and potions. Pharmasy or (better) natural/ bio.

Did you use it for some condition like insomnia, menopause, spring fatigue and ect. ? And most important what you think for the results of them?!

felis

My own opinion is:
I just loved the taste of Vitamin B12 which is given for worry and anxiety, but actually I don't saw the effects which I expected, changing of job helped more.

My sister just swears that Ashwagandha is the best for chronic fatigue,nervous exhaustion, anxiety, arthritis pain, and memory loss etc. All sounds good, but it have a taste of sand on a windy day. I just can not overcome the strange tastes.

Which remind me for Noni Juice which toning and analgesic action and also stimulates the ability to concentrate. The second best friend of my mom says that it has completely changed her daily lives, but again it have awful taste for myself.

taxed4ever

Administrator Crazy about the "O"
CHEERY O
I think that if you are eating the right foods then you should not need supplements. I must be doing something right, because my last blood work test showed that I was not lacking any vitamin. Hooray!! I remember reading a study once (I can't remember where) that supplements have never been proven to actually work.

felis

I think that if you are eating the right foods then you should not need supplements. I must be doing something right, because my last blood work test showed that I was not lacking any vitamin. Hooray!! I remember reading a study once (I can't remember where) that supplements have never been proven to actually work.
At first, congrats for your excellent health, Trudy!

About second I'm read this to, it was in medical journal, but it sounds too much like info influenced by a pharmacy business. Personally for myself I prefer to trust on doctors which reputation I can check, like Dr. Oz, Dr. Papazova and ect. which says that especially for cases where drugs makes addiction like trouble sleeping, emotional conditions or chronic pains, herbs are helps better from years. :sick::mullet::bliss:
Save
Save

Last edited by a moderator:

faerywings

The Loopy-O
CHEERY O
Unfortunately, Lyme Disease robs the body of certain elements, such as Magnesium and B Vitamins (esp. 1, 6 and 12). I take magnesium every night, and I try to remember the B's and Vit D in the morning. I also take turmeric which is very good for inflammation and with my Rheumatoid factor always so high, it is another beneficial supplement.

felis

When we talk about seriously condition, there don't have many space for experiments.
Do the doctor told you exactly which pharmaceutical manufacturer you should use, Chris, or how you choose which is the best?! I mean here have so many. And do they have effect, what is your opinion? Hope very soon to can left all this behind your back!

scrapinmom

CHEERY O
I have heard the values of Tumeric and would love to hear from those of you that have tried it. I suffer from inflamation in my knee from time to time, as well bas some back problems and am interested in Tumeric. Thanks

Danesa

Danesa
I use turmeric in my diet as well as take Curcumin. I've dealt with high blood pressure, diabetes and joint pain for years. I have, with my physician's approval, gradually gone off all my meds and am on all natural now. My blood pressure 2 yrs ago ranged from 150s to 160s and this past week was 122/72. My glucose is within normal range finally. When I have an occasional joint pain or headache I use only Tei-Fu. I also have a friend who is a medical scientist who gives guidance on what to take. I was on prescription vit D for years and my blood levels were so low (below 15 for over 8 years) and would not come up. I started taking all natural Vit D supplement and this past week my level was 23. The highest it's been! So I'm going in the right direction with that. I take food grade Diatomaceous Earth as well to help with joints and helping with nutrients absorption and toxins release. I know these don't work for everyone, but for me they have worked and I'm thankful. Of course, I also walk at least 3 miles a day and try to eat healthier. I don't push all natural on anyone. I'm just telling my long winding journey! :)

faerywings

The Loopy-O
CHEERY O
Danesa, those are fantastic numbers! Good job! The Diatomaceous Earth- that is good for detoxing? One of the worst things about Lyme -- ok, one of the MANY bad things about Lyme is that many of us can't detox well, and many people have heavy metal build up and sensitivities to molds and chemicals. Add in high doses of abx and herxing and we are recipes for disaster. We have tried ACV for detoxing, lots of fluids, Epsom salt foot baths but having one more thing in the arsenal is always good.

Felis- I have had good luck ordering from Piping Rock and Puritan's Pride online. My local "guy" swears by New Chapter but that gets expensive. The one thing we will splurge on is a good probiotic that we get from the Lyme Drs office. I cannot remember the brand however but I do know that it has 11 (maybe 12?) different strains which she says is much more important than the amount of live cultures per dose.

faerywings

The Loopy-O
CHEERY O
Sharon- I try to take a turmeric capsule every day, but if I can only do 4-5 days a week I am happy. My hubs thinks that he can take one here and there and it will help but it doesn;t work so well that way. Go figure.

I heard you had to take Turmeric with Meriva because the body doesn't really absorb turmeric. It requires the Meriva to help with absorption.

VickiStegall

Administrator
Designer
CHEERY O
I'm a big believer in the natural way, especially after my recent experience with big pharma.... the main things I take are vit d, magnesium, b vitamins, dessicated liver like a body builder for my iron levels, and fish oil - because my brain is happier when I take it vs when I don't.

felis

Sharon, like Danesa says: ''I use turmeric in my diet as well as take Curcumin'', I also eat curcumin in some recipes, but not much often so to can see actual results.

Chris, thank you, I'll checked these 3 too, I'm ordering from Tompson. But here have so many manufacturers of Vitamins, so I don't have any reasonable system of choosing and I'm curious for every personal experience.
By the way here we widely uses Greek yogurt like a probiotic.

Viki my friend was taken fish oil till her pregnancy, but she didn't liked the taste so the doctors told her that walnuts are from the same group. So if you needs from some more Omega 3 you can use them for a snack, but only in cases that you don't have allergy from nuts!!!

faerywings

The Loopy-O
CHEERY O
That is interesting about walnuts. My dog has had patellar luxation surgery on the one knee already and may need it on the other knee. She has lost a lot of cartilage in both knees and our vet wants her on Fish Oil as well as prescription Dasuquin.
She hates the fish oil even when it is mixed with canned food so we give her Flax Seed, but the vet says that it won't help to build cartilage.
Maybe walnut oil will help instead. I will have to do some research on that. :)

felis

Chris, I do not recommend this! Walnuts are good for human brain, but not so much for the dogs. They definitely loves them, and the type which is native to my area is very taste for them. BUT some kinds of a walnuts are toxic for dogs. And wet or old nuts, are dangerous too. The small breed dogs often not chew them enough and can have tough to swallow them. Also nuts in general have a high fat content, so even if they are not toxic, they can still cause an upset stomach in some dogs.

bcgal00

CHEERY O
I try to eat healthy but think that with added health issues, a few vitamins are necessary for me. I take a biotin supplement for my hair which is thinning and breaking due to thyroid/menopause. I've noticed a difference when I take it regularly. I also take vitamin B off and on.

scrapinmom

CHEERY O
Good information- thanks for your input
Rae- I also take a high powered biotin supplement, Vita B and B12 shots 1x per month for my thinning hair. I also take Viviscal,

felis

I wish I would propose you some alternative, but unfortunately nothing different not come on my mind. I was hear about some supplement from green-lipped mussel (especially for the dogs), but it was ridiculously expensive and not so familiar for my area, than fish oil. Maybe you can talk about it with your vet or the vet from your local shelter (shelter vets have varied experience with traumas) to find someone who have practical experience with it not only theory .
But again there is no guarantee do she will like the taste. I mask everything in Pate from other food brand, not ours regular, often Gourmet Gold Pate, it's for cats but dogs like it too.

VickiStegall

Administrator
Designer
CHEERY O
Viki my friend was taken fish oil till her pregnancy, but she didn't liked the taste so the doctors told her that walnuts are from the same group. So if you needs from some more Omega 3 you can use them for a snack, but only in cases that you don't have allergy from nuts!!!

sadly, I am very allergic to walnuts, macadamia, pecans, etc....

faerywings

The Loopy-O
CHEERY O
I need help with other anti-inflammatory supplements. I just got back blood work and my Rheumatoid Factor is up to 76. It is supposed to be <16 and mine typically is around 25-35. My ANA titer which measures autoimmune issues is also well out of range.
I take turmeric, but I guess that it is not enough.
I am allergic to mushrooms so I can't take mushroom extract nor can I take Rx biologics (Mobic I was on, IIRC?) because of my history with breast cancer.

I am hoping that the result is some crazy lab error and I go back on the 26th for another round of testing. But I have to say that I am a bit thrown by this.

felis

Chris, I'm worried that I can unknowingly to mislead you or harm you with some of these ideas that we share online without to be coordinate it with your doctor.
I remembered this magazine article, it was told that is translated from Journal of Medicinal Foods, but I found it on english in this site. What bothers me is that we can't know how they will interact with medications that you already take. So you will have to synchronize it first.
I also hope that this result is some lab mistake, this things happened sometimes! Take care for yourself and I wish you better results on 26th!

CourtneyDesigns

I always try to eat healthy and make sure my fruits and veggies are very clean. I have a load of health problems, but the only supplement I take it Vitamin D and Calcium since I a) don't intake dairy and b) I don't get out and get enough sun anymore.

While eating healthy would seem to be a enough for most, many health issues create restrictions on certain foods, thus resulting in less Vitamins and Minerals in order to stay healthy.

I don't believe in detoxes at all. I think just eating really healthy and staying away from processed foods is enough. I no longer juice as it's so high in sugars. I don't even eat all that much fruit either. Mostly veggies and lean meats.

I probably should take fish oil too, but I forget. Eating more seafood is not always feasible since it can get quite expensive.

faerywings

The Loopy-O
CHEERY O
I totally forgot about this forum and thread.

Felis- you are totally correct and I should play around with mixing and matching supplements without checking with my Dr.

Courtney- hope that you are able to keep those health conditions under control. I know that isn't always (usually) easy.

felis

Courtney, you're so right about all these! For the juices alternative is to make them yourself with nutrient extractor.
Is this mean that you follow a sugar-free way of eating?! Because unfortunately sweet is my vice. And to replace them with Agave nectar and Stevia is expensive, difficult to be found, and they aren't my local so their transport will left bad mark on the eco-politics. So I'm curious about alternatives.

Chris, I'm sure you wouldn't be reckless, but I needed to accent on this because I gave you to many ideas.

CourtneyDesigns

Courtney, you're so right about all these! For the juices alternative is to make them yourself with nutrient extractor.
Is this mean that you follow a sugar-free way of eating?! Because unfortunately sweet is my vice. And to replace them with Agave nectar and Stevia is expensive, difficult to be found, and they aren't my local so their transport will left bad mark on the eco-politics. So I'm curious about alternatives.

Chris, I'm sure you wouldn't be reckless, but I needed to accent on this because I gave you to many ideas.

Yes, I use those sweeteners, but for me they are easy to come by at my local grocers. I am not a big sweet eater. The only thing I use sugar in is my tea, which is only a teaspoon and I use raw sugar. That's pretty much it.

CourtneyDesigns

I totally forgot about this forum and thread.

Felis- you are totally correct and I should play around with mixing and matching supplements without checking with my Dr.

Courtney- hope that you are able to keep those health conditions under control. I know that isn't always (usually) easy.

Yes, I do OK. I cannot take anything much anymore because like Vicki I had breast cancer. I have thyroid meds, but my arthritic stuff I go to acupuncture and use my PT exercises which really really helps.