Oscraps

NSBR; Job Application Help

Cat

O' whip cracker whip
I need someone to help me with a job application form, its been so long since I last did one LOL

Heres the deal, after 5yrs of being a SAHM I am going back to work in April. I have been given the job as an axillary nurse working at the 3 major hospitals here. I wont be full time as such, and not contracted, I will be on the bank register which means I only do shifts if I want them, only needing to do 1 shift in three months to keep me on the register. In September this year I will be starting my nursing course so as an axillary it will be giving me experience.

So here is the deal, I have the job, the woman who runs the nursing bank is a good friend of my mum's and myself, she knows I want to become a nurse and offered me the place on the bank. A lot of mothers do this sort of nursing as they are not commited to working shifts and will always have the school holidays off.

But, for legal issues I need to fill in an application form. My problem is with refrences!! I need two references, my first one is ok, that was my old employer at the dental surgery, who is still my dentist. My 2nd job I worked from 2000-2004 in a large software outsourcing company, and this company had a high turnover in staff with numerous outsourcing clients. I know that my old line manager has left the company, therefore I have no clue as to what to put as a reference!! Its been 5yrs and I doubt anyone will know who I am. I am just thinking of putting the reference down as the HR dept in the company and my job title at the time, but I have a suspision with it being 5yrs they might not even have me on file anymore.

What do I do? I need to have two references and none of these references can be family or friends, and only having worked two jobs in my life I am kind of stuck!!

MikkelPaige

What about putting down Vicki as a reference if she doesn't mind? You can sort of skew that like she's the "boss" for a volunteer position you do.

Otherwise, I agree w/you on putting down the HR dept. Can you just call them and ask if your names of file?

DeeZee

Have you taken any coursework that you could use the instructor as a reference? Or maybe educators you've had in the past?

Or maybe you could even use the name of the woman who runs the bank, since she's going to bat for you (but I'd check with her first to see if that would work!)

clarabear

always chatty at the O!!
If your kids are in school and you have done volunteer work at the school, how about a teacher??

LindaPete

Cat - the person that you worked with/for at the software outfit, do you have current contact info for them now? You could still use them as a reference even if they don't work there anylonger.
what about a person you may know from some community group or activity you are involved in ie: church, kids activities, volunteering, gym or intramural sports.....

Cat

O' whip cracker whip
Thanks for the suggestions ladies.

Believe it or not, I have done nothing at all since being at home with the kids. I have no contact details at all from the last person I worked with, however, I have spoken with a friend of mine (funny her name is Cat too!) that I used to be in school with then ended up working with each other at the company, and she told me that I can get a standard reference from the company, there wont be anything personal in at all, just a note to say whether they would or would not employ me again. So, I will just go with that.

As I said, the job is already mine, I just want to be straight up with the references thing just for legal purposes.

Actually, never thought of the church, I have done a few activities there and I am on really friendly terms with my minster, seriously Linda thats a great idea thank you :)

LindaPete

No problem, glad I could help. I actually coach some of my students for a job interview contest. We always have to work to find a variety of references. Most kids just want to list three of their teachers all at the same school. We use A LOT of church folks.