Oscraps

Mental Health Vacation

bkasko

CHEERY O
Do you ever take a mental health vacation and what helps you unplug. I have been dealing with lots of health issues over the past 3 months, first daughter, then husband and then parents and I really need some ideas for how to get a mental get away from it all.

AnaSantos

The O is Awesome
CHEERY O
Oh, I need that too, badly!! I´ve been working to much over the past 6 month and I sure need a mental get away form everything, LoL

tanteva

all i need is Oscraps, cOffee, chOcOlate & tOfu
Probably not the reply you want ... but for me: 1 month of NO social media. I log out, uninstall all apps. First week is terrible. You grab the phone all the time, but it gets better. I get a lot of stuff read. Watch movies. Go for walks. Meditate. And much more. It's feeling a bit weird doing stuff & not share on social media, but it's such a great way to remind you to do things for you & not for showing the world.

VickiStegall

Administrator
Designer
CHEERY O
I won't get to take any vacation any time soon, but I take a mental health break several times a week! There's a lake within 15 minutes drive from my office so several days a week I drive out there for lunch. You could eat, but I typically eat my lunch at my desk and I meditate at the lake. Sometimes that meditation looks like napping though :).

faerywings

The Loopy-O
CHEERY O
@bkasko that's a really tough place to be in, I hope that everyone is back on the mend soon. You are really smart recognizing that you need care as well.
For me, my mental vacation is Dirt Therapy. I love being outside doing yard work. I talk to all of my "friends" - toads, snakes, squirrels, bugs- which makes my family think I am nutty but they tolerate me. LOL It's very grounding (literally!) to have my hands in the dirt and see things growing and living.

bkasko

CHEERY O
Probably not the reply you want ... but for me: 1 month of NO social media. I log out, uninstall all apps. First week is terrible. You grab the phone all the time, but it gets better. I get a lot of stuff read. Watch movies. Go for walks. Meditate. And much more. It's feeling a bit weird doing stuff & not share on social media, but it's such a great way to remind you to do things for you & not for showing the world.
What a great idea I agree it would be hard that first week but I might give this a try

bkasko

CHEERY O
I won't get to take any vacation any time soon, but I take a mental health break several times a week! There's a lake within 15 minutes drive from my office so several days a week I drive out there for lunch. You could eat, but I typically eat my lunch at my desk and I meditate at the lake. Sometimes that meditation looks like napping though :).
Vicki oh how wonderful to have a lake near you, several years ago I worked at Packwood which is at the base of Mount Rainier and there was a lake near the dam and I would also take my lunch breaks sitting by the lake looking at the mountain. I miss those days of work

bkasko

CHEERY O
@bkasko that's a really tough place to be in, I hope that everyone is back on the mend soon. You are really smart recognizing that you need care as well.
For me, my mental vacation is Dirt Therapy. I love being outside doing yard work. I talk to all of my "friends" - toads, snakes, squirrels, bugs- which makes my family think I am nutty but they tolerate me. LOL It's very grounding (literally!) to have my hands in the dirt and see things growing and living.
You made me smile I now of a vision of you talking to the bugs, etc.

Vicki Robinson

Designer + Brush Queen + Mac Guru
Designer
So sorry you’re having a hard time. My sister and I have just been discussing this very topic. Her late husband had early onset Alzheimer’s and she was his caregiver for 10+ years. He’s been gone for five years now but the trauma of that experience is still affecting her.

My family, too, has been under tremendous strain the past 18 months. As if the pandemic wasn’t enough, we’ve been through 4 surgeries, my 89 year old father is failing, and our son and daughter-in-law have shattered our lives. It’s all almost broken me, so I understand what you’re going through.

Daily walks have been a lifesaver for both me and Mr. Me. I have arthritis in my back and he’s had three back surgeries, so the walks are at a leisurely pace and we bring a water bottle and a phone and just wander. We’re up to 2 miles a day now. Sometime we talk, but more often than not we just breathe. I don’t think I can adequately explain how beneficial the fresh air has been.

I enjoy mixed media art, so my other outlet is Art Journaling. I have several journals going at any given time. The point is not to create a work of art, but to distract my brain by playing with various paints, inks and collage. The journals have things like quotes that catch my attention, vintage images, or sometimes just vintage papers and paint. One of the most useful things about my journal pages is that I can scribble my thoughts on the blank pages — no matter how dark, or sad or angry they might be, and them cover them up completely with paint. It helps me tremendously to get those thoughts out — but keeps them safe from prying eyes.

I also take lots of on line mixed media or art journaling classes. There are tons of free ones out there — not to mention on YouTube. In fact you can google free classes for any topic you are interested in and find more than enough to keep you busy.

I have stopped watching the news — all of it, both local and National, and I ‘unliked” or left all FB pages/groups that are even remotely political because I find today’s culture extremely upsetting and I don’t need that in my life.

My sister has always been interested in photography, so she is using that for her own mental health break.

I have become very interested in Stoicism — an Ancient Greek philosophy around the concept of (among other things) letting go of things that are out of your control. It’s amazing how centuries-old ideas are still relevant today. I highly recommend researching it, because I am learning how to look at life differently and I feel the pressure beginning to ease. I did this digital art journal page (it’s pretty similar to what one if my mixed media pages might look) with one of my favorite “stoic” quotes.

There are lots of great suggestions here — hope you find something useful. Feel free to post here when you need to dump. As you can see, there’s always someone around.

big hug.
full

VickiStegall

Administrator
Designer
CHEERY O
I highly recommend the book, The Obstacle is the Way by Ryan Holiday if you haven't read it!
I have become very interested in Stoicism an Ancient Greek philosophy around the concept of (among other things) letting go of things that are out of your control. It amazing how centuries old ideas are still relevant today. I highly recommend researching it, because I am learning how to look at life differently and I feel the pressure beginning to ease. I did this digital art journal page (it’s pretty similar to what one if my mixed media pages might look) with one of my favorite quotes.

Cherylndesigns

I'm in The Zone ~ The "O" Zone
CHEERY O
I'll take a "mental break" for part of a day, occasionally. It only for a few hours, normally.

LSlycord

I'm sorry to hear that you are having such a rough time. It seems that it has been a hard road for so many...but there are some good suggestions here. A few reminders of things that I need to try. We have recently moved (like a week ago) to be closer to the ocean. It's now a 15 minute drive and I'm hoping that I can spend enough time there to refresh my soul.