Oscraps

May Art Journaling Challenge Week 2

Cherylndesigns

I'm in The Zone ~ The "O" Zone
CHEERY O
Welcome to Week 2 of the May Art Journaling Challenge. Our word prompt for May is RENEW. I don't do a "mood board" very often, but I found some quotes with corresponding inspirational pictures (which I happen to love). Feel free to use any of these quotes, or none of them, it's totally up to you. If I had to say which of these influenced me the most, it would have to be number 4. I love the quote: "The soul always knows what to do to heal itself. The challenge is to silence the mind". The mind isn't always so easy to silence and I'm still waiting for my soul to know what to do. Meanwhile, I have to take heart in this particular quote.

May-AJ-Challenge-Week-2-mood-board.jpg

Here's my layout, which I hope shows some semblance of the emotional journey to renewing myself that I've been on and continue to be on. My thought process, while I was creating it, was that I started off being sad, with tears falling. As I moved down the page, I tried to interject some more positive quotes, then when I got to the bottom of the page, I used the uplifted palms with the words "You lifted me up" arising from them.

I used:
Because You Loved Me by Karen Schulz Designs: Digital Scrapbook Pack | Because You Loved Me Collection by Karen Schulz Designs | Oscraps
Dreamers Journal March 2022 Bundle by Sarapullka Scraps: Digital Scrapbook Pack | Dreamers Journal March 2022 Bundle by Sarapullka Scraps | Oscraps
Angels Amongst Us by Rachel Jefferies Angels Amongst Us - The Complete Mixed Media Collection by Rachel Jefferies | Oscraps

You can choose to do a single page each week, or do a divided template - one part for each week. If you don't have the Divided Template and would like to have it, you can get it here at Dropbox. Thank you to Ona @wombat146 for providing the template choices for us! If you do the template, we would love it if you would post it incrementally. Post one done in the first week, post an image of the two together on the second, and three on the third, and then the finished page on the fourth week.

Again - the template is NEVER a requirement to use, just something fun and different if you want to use it.

Everyone who participates in any of this month's challenges will be entered into a drawing for a $5 gift certificate to Oscraps. You can receive up to four entries into this month's drawing.

I can't wait to see what you have to share about the prompt RENEW.

Challenge Rules:
You have until 11:59 p.m. ET on May 31st to complete your pages for this challenge.
  1. To qualify for the drawing, you need to use 80% Oscraps products that are currently in the store (non-Oscraps products or retired O designer products can be used whether the designer is selling elsewhere or not).
  2. You need to credit all the products used on your page.
  3. You cannot use a page you create for this challenge for another Oscraps challenge.
  4. Upload your page to the Art Journal Gallery and then add your layout to the challenge thread. (Below you will find instructions on adding your page to this thread.)
Adding a linked layout from the Gallery to a thread:

Upload your layout to the gallery first. In your forum post click the Gallery Embed icon (little camera).

This will open your gallery, simply click on the layout you require, then scroll down to the bottom of the screen and click the Continue button.

Your linked layout is now in your post, the image will appear once you have clicked the Post Reply button.

Last edited:

wombat146

ONA - Administrator
CHEERY O
You have certainly been on an emotional journey these past few months sweet lady, I wish you much love and happiness as you continue your path of navigating life without Chuck beside you in physical form, even though he is there always in your heart and soul. :hug2::heartpumpred: Fantastic layout Cheryl! xxx

Cherylndesigns

CHEERY O
You have certainly been on an emotional journey these past few months sweet lady, I wish you much love and happiness as you continue your path of navigating life without Chuck beside you in physical form, even though he is there always in your heart and soul. :hug2::heartpumpred: Fantastic layout Cheryl! xxx
Oh, my dear friend, you just gave me goosebumps. I so love your sweet and heartfelt comments and I really believe that the love and support that I've gotten from all of you here at the O have helped me in my journey. You have all certainly helped me in navigating my "new normal" without Chuck physically beside me. :heartpumpred: :heartpumpred: :hug3::hug2::grouphugyay:

MariJ

Your page is so graphic and beautifully done I can feel your emotions as you scrapped them. I keep looking through this and finding more and more to like. Sending good wishes to you.
@Cherylndesigns

Last edited:

MariJ

A few questions please because this set up is so different from what I'm used to. I understand about posting a link and a layout photo here and that the layout is also posted elsewhere. What I'm not sure of is where is the best place to comment on a page? I made a comment here on one of the above pages and the other on the actual layout page. Which is best or preferred?

Also, while I'm loving all the AJ pages tremendously, I'm finding that even with an idea I can't get one started, even an ATC as was suggested. :sad2:
If I do get something going, can I do just the second week? Or only the first? I know it won't count towards anything, but that's ok, I'd just like to get into scrapping again.
I understand this comes from the turmoil and sadness of my other site closing. And while feeling so welcomed here, I'm having a difficult time organizing my last minute purchases and scrapbook things and I'm also getting overwhelmed trying to find which of the products in my huge stash are ok to use. With my mojo gone for now I'm going to give myself time and see how it goes.

Last edited:

mimes1

CHEERY O
A few questions please because this set up is so different from what I'm used to. I understand about posting a link and a layout photo here and that the layout is also posted elsewhere. What I'm not sure of is where is the best place to comment on a page? I made a comment here on one of the above pages and the other on the actual layout page. Which is best or preferred?

Also, while I'm loving all the AJ pages tremendously, I'm finding that even with an idea I can't get one started, even an ATC as was suggested. :sad2:
If I do get something going, can I do just the second week? Or only the first? I know it won't count towards anything, but that's ok, I'd just like to get into scrapping again.
I understand this comes from the turmoil and sadness of my other site closing. And while feeling so welcomed here, I'm having a difficult time organizing my last minute purchases and scrapbook things and I'm also getting overwhelmed trying to find which of the products in my huge stash are ok to use. With my mojo gone for now I'm going to give myself time and see how it goes.
Hi Marilyn. I don’t think there is a right or wrong and in my short time here both ways seem to be utilized. Someone will come along soon and we can learn together!

Cherylndesigns

CHEERY O

Of course, you can only do one page, or two or four, whatever you feel comfortable with. Like you said, you wouldn't be in the running for a prize unless you complete all four challenges, but certainly do what you feel comfortable with. You might also find some of your own quotes online - you're not obligated to use any of ours. Just use the word of the month "this month it's RENEW for a springboard. (Also, you can totally do whatever week feels best to you. This is just for the love of Art Journaling and we hope you'll give it a try.)

About posting your layouts; I post mine first in the gallery, under the proper category (in this case, Art Journaling), then link it over to this thread. Just follow the directions that are always included at the end of our first post for each new week. It's okay to comment in the gallery and in the thread, if you want to do that too. We're easy peasy here.

Cherylndesigns

CHEERY O
Hi Marilyn. I don’t think there is a right or wrong and in my short time here both ways seem to be utilized. Someone will come along soon and we can learn together!
Thanks so much, Amy. You're right - you can do what you want to do - just use the word of the month as a springboard. I didn't even use the word on my layout - I just used the word to convey my feelings.

Cherylndesigns

CHEERY O
As you know I’m away without the computer at the moment. The AJ thread is inspiring me in great ways and I’m writing down ideas for pages when I get home!
Hope you're having a good time and I can't wait to see your ideas come to fruition. :)

AK_Tracy

Here we go again. Battling the personal scrap police in my head. Friendship breakups are the worst and I learned a lot, sadly, a few years ago. Well, might be almost 8 years now. I always feel I didn't get the right feel. But its my feel so its okay. I always worry I didn't explain it enough. But I know and that's what its suppose to be. Small town life can get sticky when someone is out to assassinate your character.

MariJ

Of course, you can only do one page, or two or four, whatever you feel comfortable with. Like you said, you wouldn't be in the running for a prize unless you complete all four challenges, but certainly do what you feel comfortable with. You might also find some of your own quotes online - you're not obligated to use any of ours. Just use the word of the month "this month it's RENEW for a springboard. (Also, you can totally do whatever week feels best to you. This is just for the love of Art Journaling and we hope you'll give it a try.)

About posting your layouts; I post mine first in the gallery, under the proper category (in this case, Art Journaling), then link it over to this thread. Just follow the directions that are always included at the end of our first post for each new week. It's okay to comment in the gallery and in the thread, if you want to do that too. We're easy peasy here.
Thank you so much for the very helpful and kind answers to my questions. :)

Cherylndesigns

CHEERY O
Here we go again. Battling the personal scrap police in my head. Friendship breakups are the worst and I learned a lot, sadly, a few years ago. Well, might be almost 8 years now. I always feel I didn't get the right feel. But its my feel so its okay. I always worry I didn't explain it enough. But I know and that's what its suppose to be. Small town life can get sticky when someone is out to assassinate your character.
This is awesome, Amy. I'm sorry you had this experience, but you've scrapped your feelings so wonderfully. What a great kit you used, too - it's perfect. Thanks so much for playing along again this week. :beatingheart:

wombat146

ONA - Administrator
CHEERY O

MariJ

I love your page but I especially like your comment on the renewing your "art headspace". What a perfect description, I will have to remember that because it's so very, very true!
I like how you layout is a page on a page and how your quote and the circle mimic a rainbow. I keep looking around your layout and finding more and more artsy things to like.

wombat146

ONA - Administrator
CHEERY O
I love your page but I especially like your comment on the renewing your "art headspace". What a perfect description, I will have to remember that because it's so very, very true!
I like how you layout is a page on a page and how your quote and the circle mimic a rainbow. I keep looking around your layout and finding more and more artsy things to like.
Thanks Marilyn, attempting to do the 100 day challenge has certainly renewed my passion for creating art again so I am still in this artsy space of my life right now and having fun! xx

Cherylndesigns

CHEERY O
I got to play again yesterday, (I should have been organising the birthday party but......... :lalala::angelwhistle::angelwhistle:) and here is week 2. I am still in the renewing of my art headspace. :greengrin:

Week 2:

and close up:
I love your Week 2 addition, Ona. Your first two sections tie together seamlessly and I can't wait to see all four of them completed. Love the circle of words around the picture and all of the artsy goodness that you added. Good for you for claiming time for your art. I'm right there with you - this is our time. Your creativity is just off the charts!! It just gets better and better! I agree with you about the 100 Day Challenge, too. :bowdown2::lovey3::love:

Cherylndesigns

CHEERY O
Your section for Week 2 is just beautiful, Anne-Marie. Your Week 2 quote is one that I can so relate to - quieting the mind is the first thing we have to do. You and Ona are making me want to use the Template again. I really love that template and I'm so happy that you're using it. I'm so happy that you're playing along with us. I can't wait to see your finished page!

Cherylndesigns

CHEERY O
I need to correct something I posted earlier to Marilyn @MariJ - sorry for the confusion. Below is the correct information: :crazy:

Everyone who participates in any of this month's challenges will be entered into a drawing for a $5 gift certificate to Oscraps. You can receive up to four entries into this month's drawing.

I apologize for any confusion. :multitasking:

MariJ

I need to correct something I posted earlier to Marilyn @MariJ - sorry for the confusion. Below is the correct information: :crazy:

I apologize for any confusion. :multitasking:
Oh no worries, Cheryl. To be honest I didn't even notice that part! You're all good, but thanks for the further explanation, you've been so kind with your help. :)

pachimac

I solemnly swear I am up to no good!
CHEERY O

I don't think there Is a preferred place, but I think that people see the ones in the gallery more than here in the thread. I prefer in the gallery but either is perfectly fine. :)
The easiest for me is to find a background that fits my mood. Then I just throw some things on the page and move them around, delete, and find the right place. I know I'm going to have some kind of word art, so I grab some of those, and then just play.

With this one, this has been eating at me for a while.. It wasn't until this week that I could even put it into play. Take your time and just play.

You don't have to do all of them to get in the drawing. You get up to four entries. You could make 4 week 2's if you want, skip a week...whatver. It's just up to 4 per month get entries into the drawing, you can make as many as you want!

Maybe scrap about your feelings of the other site closing! Remember you can use 20% of any other product, so maybe pick a favorite element or two from there, scour the freebie section here, and give it a try!