Oscraps

Keto - what's for dinner?

Vicki Robinson

Designer + Brush Queen + Mac Guru
Designer
Low Carb Tacos ... delish!

Recipe's in the Keto/Low Carb recipe thread.

image.php

VickiStegall

Administrator
Designer
CHEERY O
So, I think my issue is too many nuts, not enough actual veggies and protein. I'm buckling down today. Fingers crossed!

bcgal00

CHEERY O
Vicki - veggies probably aren't a problem b/c you really don't need much. Most days I have 1/2 to 1 cup of veggies for the whole day and some days less than that. I take a multivitamin. Nuts for sure you can overdo. I generally don't eat more than 5-15 almonds a day.

SharLamb

Sharron
Glad to see some activity here! I've been gone for 1.5 weeks...road trip to Utah, and a week with the kids. We found restaurants to be no problem when we ate out while on the road, and I did most of the cooking while with my DD. They loved some of the recipes I made, and I bought her a spiralizer, which she's thrill about.

Tonight we had friends over for BBQd Copper River Salmon. I also BBQd mushrooms, and served spiralized jicama, a salad, and for dessert, a strawberry version of the "cheesecake" recipe we love. They had no clue they'd been eating Keto!

While on the road, the habit of munching on Red Vines was really hard to not indulge. But we did good.

Looking forward to trying a cauliflower "potato" salad. Is the recipe posted? I like to use tried and true recipes because many of the recipes out there are not good.

SharLamb

Sharron
Dave bought some beef bones so I could make beef broth. It was horrible. We each took two sips, choked back gags, and threw the rest out. An hour later, we were still tasting it, and felt like our mouths were coated in thick grease. A little peanut butter was the solution. We CRAVE chicken broth, so will stick to that from now on!

VickiStegall

Administrator
Designer
CHEERY O
What do you think made it so bad? I can't stomach drinking either straight but love cooking with them.

SharLamb

Sharron
No idea, Vicki. Maybe that it seemed very fatty compared to chicken broth? Well, duh. I should have saved it for cooking. I'm a dope.

SharLamb

Sharron
Great news for me. Our local Safeway carries grass-fed beef and free-range chicken! We've eaten both, and thy were excellent.

SharLamb

Sharron
We just decided that the extra cost of the meat will be absorbed by the medications we won't have to buy in future years because we'll be more healthy! LOL!

bcgal00

CHEERY O
Yes, our Safeway now carries grass fed, antibiotic free meats too.

As for dinner tonight, we are having our Safeway antibiotic free chicken (got an awesome BOGO sale last month and stocked up enough for the next 4-6 months).

I'm going to cut up chicken breasts in chunks, toss in olive oil and seasoned salt blend along with strips of peppers and cauliflower, will bake in oven and then spoon over some warmed up leftover artichoke and parmesan dip, thinned out with a bit of cream.

SharLamb

Sharron
Sounds yummy. Did you make the artichoke/parm dip yourself?

Hubby does 95% of our grocery shopping and is usually good about sales like that, but I will have to keep him alerted.

We're having left-overs tonight.

bcgal00

CHEERY O
Nope, I bought the dip, checking labels and buying one that was 1 carb/tbsp. Some brands were as high as 4 or 5 carbs per tbsp. That really adds up if you eat 2-3 times the calculated serving. I am going to take a pic of the lid so I'll remember when I go back to Safeway again. It's really a good dip. I'll post the name later.

nightshadow

Elaina/aka Nightshadow
Looking forward to trying a cauliflower "potato" salad. Is the recipe posted? I like to use tried and true recipes because many of the recipes out there are not good.

Sharron, I don't think I posted the link to the original recipe...will hunt it down now...BRB

http://www.bunsinmyoven.com/2015/02/05/cauliflower-potato-salad-low-carb-keto-friendly-vegetarian/

Keep in mind, I tweaked this...I tweak everything :bounce:

If you want my tweaked recipe, let me know and I'll type it out for you.

SharLamb

Sharron
Getting so a 2-egg omelette is too much food. I made one this morning with just one mushroom and a tiny slice of sweet onion sauteed, two eggs, and a sliver of avocado, topped with a dollop of sour cream. Ended up tossing about 1/3 of it! One-egg omelette next?

Have been making my own mayo for a couple weeks. At first I did it in the blender, with the S L O W drizzle of oil. My arm gets so tired doing that. So I was thrilled to find a recipe I can do in seconds with my stick (immersion) blender. You just dump all the oil in at once, and seriously, in a few seconds you have mayo!

Off to Costco to pick out new glasses (frames). When DH was working, I got a new pair of glasses FREE every year (he was an optometrist with Group Health--now Kaiser). Boy have times changes. Benefits have been cut back, and no freebies since he retired. I haven't even had my eyes check in 7 years...used to have it done every year!

HAGD!

bcgal00

CHEERY O
Dinner tonight? What are you having? I'm having a burger topped with homemade coleslaw and pickles with a side salad with vinaigrette...easy peasy.

SharLamb

Sharron
Fresh, wild-caught king salmon, barbecued to perfection (just a tad bit rare...so still juicy and tender), with a mixed greens salad with homemade dressing. Enough left over for me to have salmon for breakfast tomorrow before playing 18 holes of golf. :)

VickiStegall

Administrator
Designer
CHEERY O
I used the spiralizer for the first time tonight! It was so easy, yet I managed to cut myself! How? Well, I didn't realize the cover on one end was actually the "holder" lol so I spun the zucchini by hand instead of using the tool - DUH! Cooked it up in a little ghee, garlic, red pepper flake and Parmesan cheese - DELISH!!!

VickiStegall

Administrator
Designer
CHEERY O
Getting so a 2-egg omelette is too much food. I made one this morning with just one mushroom and a tiny slice of sweet onion sauteed, two eggs, and a sliver of avocado, topped with a dollop of sour cream. Ended up tossing about 1/3 of it! One-egg omelette next?

Have been making my own mayo for a couple weeks. At first I did it in the blender, with the S L O W drizzle of oil. My arm gets so tired doing that. So I was thrilled to find a recipe I can do in seconds with my stick (immersion) blender. You just dump all the oil in at once, and seriously, in a few seconds you have mayo!

Off to Costco to pick out new glasses (frames). When DH was working, I got a new pair of glasses FREE every year (he was an optometrist with Group Health--now Kaiser). Boy have times changes. Benefits have been cut back, and no freebies since he retired. I haven't even had my eyes check in 7 years...used to have it done every year!

HAGD!

I need to get some new glasses. I think I'll check into that tomorrow. Well, maybe next week as I have 1 year follow up appointments tomorrow with breast surgeon and oncologist.

SharLamb

Sharron
Sorry you cut yourself, but the end product sounds yummy. Good thoughts on your appointments.

We ha awesome taco salad for dinner o night--grass-fed beef.

SharLamb

Sharron
Here's what I posted at "Peace Love and Low Carb Friends" Facebook. Turned out to not be any peace or love. I got SLAMMED:

If you are considering taking probiotic tablets, I hope you will do more research than I did. I listened to one of the Low Carb, book-writing doctors, that PBS sponsors. He highly recommended using probiotics so the gut gets healthy. Since there were no caveats, and it was an OTC pill, I just started taking them. There was no warning about side-effects on the packaging. It said to take 1 to 2 tablets, once or twice a day. We (DH and I) decided to start out conservatively with one tablet once a day. I didn't know it, but DH quit after one dose because he got a bad stomach ache, and attributed it to the probiotic. Wish he'd told me. The misery didn't start for me until about day 5. Then I got horrible cramps, and couldn't be farther than 20 feet from a bathroom for 2 days. At first I thought I was going to die, then was afraid I wouldn't!

I was talking to my daughter-in-law, who is a physician, and she agreed with my suspicion that it was the probiotics. She said you should start with a half dose every other day! That it takes a month to adjust! She used to take them, but when she ran out, failed to get more, and says she doesn't want to go through the pain of the adjustment period again. Wish I'd run this past her BEFORE I started taking them!

Guess where the rest of the jar is!

Back to the Ozone thread: All I can report is MY experience, which coincides with my DIL's experience. Just sayin'.....