Oscraps

Keto - what's for dinner?

SharLamb

Sharron
Keto Friendly Mocha

The secret is in using the Aeropress coffee maker (about $30): https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0047BIWS...t=&hvlocphy=9033294&hvtargid=pla-315571604316

Dave has a container to hold the chocolate mix so he doesn't have to measure out both every time:
1 part unsweetened cocoa to
2 parts sugar substitute that measures the same as sugar

Measure a rounded half TABLESPOON (not teaspoon) into a mug.

He prepares the coffee with the following proportions:
1 Aeroscoop of fine ground espresso coffee
2/3 C. hot water

Stir up the water and coffee, then plunge directly into the mug over the cocoa mixture.

Add a half Cup of 1/2 'n' half (or heavy cream which is fewer carbs, or 2% milk, which is more carbs)

Microwave for 1 minute.

I don't know how you would add foam, but of course, you could dispense whipped cream on top if you have a whipped cream dispenser.

The hardest part of this routine is finding a HALF TABLESPOON measuring spoon!

SharLamb

Sharron
Has anyone tried, or heard testimony from others about Carbquik? It's supposed to be a Keto -friendly product much like Bisquik, but I'm not sold. It has:

"16 total carbs but the dietary fiber is 14 so if you are a carb counter you know you subtract the fiber from the total carbs and you come up with 2 carbs"

It contains: It has Carbalose flour. Its a enzyme enriched wheat flour. Soy fiber. Canola oil. Buttermilk powder baking powder egg white powder

Wheat, soy, and canola are red flags to me.

SharLamb

Sharron
OMG! I've just been reading about the Zero Carb subculture! Sheesh. I pray the Keto Way of Life will be effective for me, because the thought of eating tiny bits of meat and tons of animal fat (not cream!) does NOT sound appetizing. Putting this idea out of my head unless I'm still fat a year from now!

Vicki Robinson

Designer + Brush Queen + Mac Guru
Designer
This product has been around a LONG time. I'm going to be honest with you, to me it tasted awful. AWFUL. I tried it again after I'd been living low carb for about a year, thinking maybe my taste buds had adjusted, but I had wasted my money.

Has anyone tried, or heard testimony from others about Carbquik? It's supposed to be a Keto -friendly product much like Bisquik, but I'm not sold. It has:

"16 total carbs but the dietary fiber is 14 so if you are a carb counter you know you subtract the fiber from the total carbs and you come up with 2 carbs"

It contains: It has Carbalose flour. Its a enzyme enriched wheat flour. Soy fiber. Canola oil. Buttermilk powder baking powder egg white powder

Wheat, soy, and canola are red flags to me.

VickiStegall

Administrator
Designer
CHEERY O
That mocha sounds amazing!

I actually forgot to each lunch today because I wasn't hungry. I was feeling a bit weak though, so I think I"m still not fully keto adapted. Which, it's only been 1.5 weeks so that's to be expected.

SharLamb

Sharron
9exvpV.jpg

My Silpats came today. Perfect timing to try Fathead pizza crust with the objective of using it for a bread replacement. I may have over baked it. It wasn't that great. We loved it as pizza crust. But it did just slip off the Silpat. I already love them.

I love nearly-raw ahi tuna, but DH prefers it cooked more. So I ended up cooking both of them too much. But mine was about medium and DH liked mine much better than his, which was cooked about a minute longer.

Found another bread recipe to try. Much more work...involving separating eggs and whipping the whites...folding in the other mixed ingredients. I'll let you know how it turns out, and if good, will post the recipe.

Do you remember my Key Lime cheesecake from last week? Well yesterday I made the same recipe, but used sugar-free strawberry Jell-O, and folded in a few sliced strawberries. A little whipped cream on top, and ooo-la-la!

JLabgk.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Vicki Robinson

Designer
Shar, I would try baking the dough on the mat until it's firm, but then flipping it directly onto a cookie sheet, so the other underside gets to crisp up a bit. Then, after a couple of minutes, add your sauce and toppings.

By the way, I made fathead pizza on my gas grill. I rolled the dough out quite thinly on parchment paper and, with my husband's help, flipped it onto the grill. It takes barely a minute or two on each side - crisps like a cracker - then I put it on a cookie sheet, added my toppings and broiled it until the cheese melted.

I've come to the conclusion that there is no way to replicate pizza - so I aim for "pizza-ish". It's like when I realized the part of spaghetti I love the most is actually the thick meat sauce. So, that's what spaghetti night is in my house now!

SharLamb

Sharron
Thanks Vicki! Will give it a try. We actually loved the pizza recipe...just not the crust alone as a bread substitute. But I'm going to give your rolls a shot.

bcgal00

CHEERY O
Something different I'm doing this week is eating a bit of leftover dinner for breakfast. It seems so weird LOL. I am taking antibiotics which requires me to eat in the morning which I don't normally do and I'm not really interested in having eggs. So I am saving a bit of meat/veggie from dinner and having that each morning. I kind of like it :)

Shar - as for the packaged flour, while some may eat it, I wouldn't touch it. I would not eat anything with wheat and try to avoid soy, buttermilk or canola oil. I prefer things made from scratch with nut or coconut flours or flax meal.

bcgal00

CHEERY O
BTW Shar....thx for sharing the coffee maker link. I find this so interesting, all the different things to use for coffee drinks. I've never used a coffee press or whipped cream dispenser but am becoming more interested in all these things. Since I don't eat so many other foods or desserts anymore, I am much more focused on enjoying my coffee. Some days I just could not live without my bullet proof coffee :)

taxed4ever

Administrator Crazy about the "O"
CHEERY O
Great thread ladies!! I am going to try Vicki's bagel buns too, they look amazing! Well I tried the Bacon Cheeseburger casserole again last night and no stomach issues, it must have been something else as DH had a queasy stomach all day too the first time we ate it. No problems at all this time so yay it will be one recipe that we will have again for sure, it was so good!

SharLamb

Sharron
Trudy, which bacon cheeseburger casserole recipe did you use?

Rae, I think it is a great idea to eat left-over dinner food for breakfast. Haven't we all been doing that with pizza for 100 years? LOL

VickiStegall

Administrator
Designer
CHEERY O
Hey, Vicki, can you post your pound cake recipe and some of your favorite mug cakes in the recipe thread, please?

SharLamb

Sharron
We LOVED the bacon cheeseburger casserole. It is almost like shepherd's pie, in that the topping is almost mashed potatoes! YUM! A WINNER

Vicki Robinson

Designer
BLT California Style for dinner last nite!

Low Carb tortillas (toasted - Mission Carb Balance brand: 6 net carbs each - I hate all the others)
Bacon
Lettuce
Tomato
Avocado

image.php

Vicki Robinson

Designer
Breakfast this morning:

Mark Bittman's Crustless Quiche - 4 servings

I don't like scrambled eggs and I rarely eat omelet's but for some reason I LOVE quiche - must be all the cheese! I made a modified version of this (see below), but here's his recipe. I put the recipe (including my modifications) into a nutrition calculator and came up with 2.5 net carbs per serving.

-1 cup cream, half-and-half, milk or a combination, gently heated just until warm
-3 eggs, at room temperature
-¾ cup grated Emmenthal, Gruyère, Cantal or a combination
-¼ cup grated Parmesan or hard pecorino
-½ teaspoon salt
-¼ teaspoon cayenne, or to taste
-Butter as needed to grease ramekins/pie plate

• Heat oven to 325 degrees and set rack in middle of it.
  • Combine all ingredients except butter and beat until well blended.
  • Pour into 4 to 6 buttered ramekins (or a buttered gratin or pie plate) and bake for 20 to 30 minutes, or until almost firm; it should still jiggle just a little in middle.
  • Cool on a rack, then serve warm or at room temperature.

My modifications
  • I used heaving whipping cream because that's what I had and I didn't bother to warm it.
  • You can use any cheeses you want, so I used a combination of a block of swiss and a block of pepper jack, that I shredded.
  • I microwaved 5 Brown and Serve Sausage links, patted off some of the grease and the chopped them up and added to the mixture.
  • I prefer my quiche a little firm, so it ended up being 35 min in a small pie plate.

This came out so well, I know I'll be eating it cold for lunch or dinner tonite. You can add anything you want (sautéed onions, bits of veggies, bacon, bacon and more bacon!!)

SharLamb

Sharron
I've been away for a few days, mostly in Victoria, B.C. Love that gorgeous city, and we had mostly wonderful weather. Our first time eating out for many meals in a row on Keto. Had we been alone it would have been easier. But we were with two other couples. One of the other men is on a low carb diet, but is more liberal. His wife and the other man eat like lumberjacks! Ironically, she remains small, but he is way overweight. One morning we fixed breakfasti in, using 18 eggs for six people. She got to the eggs first, and took HALF of them before passing the rest around for the 5 of us to share! We felt deprived because we got no sweets for four days. The first thing I did when we got home was to make us each a bowl of strawberries and whipped cream!

Very glad to be back in our own digs. Thought of you, Trudy and Rae. Love Canada. Love home. Glad to visit. Happy to come home!

SharLamb

Sharron
Woke up hungry this morning, but NOTHING sounded good except my habitual breakfast of the last couple years: a Zone Bar, a banana, and 8 oz. of milk (cannot believe how full of sugar/carbs THAT was)....or an apple fritter from the local donut shop! DH felt that way too. So we settled for a mug of broth.

taxed4ever

Administrator Crazy about the "O"
CHEERY O
Sharon I saw that you were in Victoria, I sure hope that you had a wonderful time in that beautiful city! Hard to keep on track, when others are having all the carbs and sugar. Good for you for sticking to it! Some mornings I am the same and wake up hungry, so you eat and make good choices. I usually can satisfy my sweet craving with some berries. I started making some fat bombs, but found that they stopped the weight loss. I haven't had any for a week now and have lost another 3 pounds. Hooray!! I need to find the recipe for Zucchini noodles as I purchased a spiralizer over the weekend. Looking forward to having a new veggie dish!

SharLamb

Sharron
Trudy, we adore Victoria...always have. But we learned that it is more fun to do almost anything with just each other--maybe ONE other couple. With 6 people it takes forEVER to get people moving. And deciding on a restaurant???? AAAARRRGGGHHH!. We're not planning to EVER do a group outing like this again (well...with our kids/grandkids, of course we will). Our ferry trip home was kind of rocky-rolly. SO glad we weren't on the Clipper. I was on it once, and everyone on the boat was vomiting! I don't get seasick, but the aroma was so horrible, I almost did that trip!

VickiStegall

Administrator
Designer
CHEERY O
That quiche sounds wonderful!

Shar, we've travelled with friends that way and it's rather crazy. We did do a group trip to Cozumel for an Oscraps gathering and that was incredibly fun but we mostly stayed at the resort with just a couple of planned outings.

Tonight I made the green chili casserole - finally! it was ok. It definitely needed "something". It needed more kick. Once I have it perfected, I'll post again about it.

SharLamb

Sharron
We had Trader Joe's scallops tonight, and they were over the moon good. Rinsed and dried them, sprinkled them with salt, pepper, and Old Bay. Sauteed for about 4 or 5 minutes on each side in a screaming hot skillet with some olive oil and coconut oil. I also made some of the jicama strings tonight using the Spiralizer. Don't remember where I got the recipe, but besides being too spicy, they were AWESOME. I'm just going to hold back a bit on the cayenne and chili powder next time. Seriously, they were so good, I almost felt guilty. If anyone wants the recipe, I'll post it in the Recipe Thread. Most satisfying meal I've had in almost a week!

I made the jell-o cheesecake that we loved when I used lime or strawberry. Used lemon today, and it was terrible. Throwing the rest out.

SharLamb

Sharron
Tried Bullet Proof coffee this morning for the first time, and did NOT like it even a little bit.

Eggs for lunch? NEVER do that. My fav is just a lettuce wrap that includes some chicken (roasted Costco is best, but deli meat is a good 2nd), pepper jack cheese, avacado, big blob of mayo, a bit of Dijon mustard, and sometimes tomato and a few bits of bacon. I use head lettuce, and when the leaves get too small to hold the innards, I just chop it all up and eat it off the plate. I could eat this every day, but DH likes variety. We'll often have left-overs from the night before.

SharLamb

Sharron
Tried some low-carb brownies. blerg. All that saved them was immersing them in whipped cream!

But I DID find some other brand of "Miracle Noodles" at Safeway...our regular store. Planning to try the "spaghetti cut" tomorrow night with, well, spaghetti!

nightshadow

Elaina/aka Nightshadow
Ladies, I have some important questions about this Keto thing. Most of the recipes seem to use huge amounts of saturated fats, pork bacon, butter, heavy cream, full-fat cheeses, etc. In addition to needing to lose a lot of weight, I also have a genetic predisposition to high serum cholesterol and have been taking a Statin for years in order to keep my cholesterol down. In addition to the Statin, it has been my habit to eat primarily low fat/healthy fat items. Do any of you have a cholesterol problem you must manage? If so, how do you manage it while still eating the Keto way?

My medical professional suggested a low carb diet for me because my A1C numbers are not good and my weight is one of the culprits, but as I look at foods, recipes, etc., I'm seeing a great many things which I don't think I should be eating. Caught between a rock and a hard place here.

Any help/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
:eek2: