Oscraps

Keto - what's for dinner?

VickiStegall

Administrator
Designer
CHEERY O
I thought we'd share what a day in the life looks like so we can maybe help with ideas, meal planning, etc.

Yesterday was my day 1 and I did surprisingly well on my macros.

My macros:
Fat - 134 g (76%)
Protein - 75 g (19%)
Carbs - 20 g (5%)

Here's where I ended up:

Fat - 135g (75%)
Protein - 75 g (19%)
Carbs - 25 g (6%)

Coffee with powdered creamer which jacked my carbs for 2g lol it was almost more but I read the nutrition on it and poured it out lol

Udo's oil - 1tbsp
Coconut oil - 1tbsp
Bacon - 8 slices (yum!)

Raspberry acai salad kit which was crazy good but crazy high in carbs due to dried cranberries and blueberries.
Bacon - 8 slices
Rotisserie chicken - 3 oz
Coconut oil - 1 tbsp

Ribeye - 6 oz

1 egg - hard boiled

It wasn't all that out of the box or creative, but I felt very well fed all day long :)

SharLamb

Sharron
I do Keto less formally than anyone else. If I had to keep track of it all, I would go nuts and fail. So I'm just making sure the ingredients and foods I eat are all very low or no carbs, am still basically following the 2-week intro menus from the Diet Doctor, and I eat when hungry, and stop when satisfied.

The other thing I cannot do, is weigh myself! Seriously. On every diet I've ever been on, weighing myself led to disaster. If I'd lost weight, I'd celebrate by eating off-program. If I'd gained, I'd console myself by eating off-program. My most recent doctor appointment weight will have to suffice as my starting weight. Our health system is all computerized, so my weight is available for me to look at when the time comes.

Anyway, I'm happy to share my food intake for the day, but there won't be any numbers.

Here's the quiche recipe:

Preheat the oven to 450º, and coat a spring-form pan with spray oil.

Saute some bacon pieces and mushroom slices in butter. Combine with
3 beaten (with a fork) eggs
2 handfuls of your favorite shredded cheese (I used cheddar/jack mixture)
1 to 2 cups cottage cheese (I hate cottage cheese, but it is wonderful in this)
any veggies that sound good (shredded zuccini...planned-over asparagus, etc.)
salt and pepper

Pour into prepared springform pan and bake about 30-40 minutes. I really depends on the size of your pan. If it's small, the quiche will be thick, so it may take more time. If it is in a large pan, the quiche will be thin, and take less time. Keep an eye on it!

When done, top with sour cream and avocado (optional, but why wouldn't you???)

Dave and I were totally satisfied after eating 1/4 each, and there's another breakfast waiting for us tomorrow. Dave likes sausage, so I fried up a couple links for him as a side. Tomatoes would also be great with this, and for salsa fans, another possibility for a topping (I think there is Keto-friendly salsa out there, or certainly recipes for it).

bcgal00

CHEERY O
I average 10-20 carbs day (some days total carbs, other days net carbs).

No breakfast - I do a 12 hour fast each night to mid morning, only having water and coffee with whipping cream (has the least carbs).

Lunch:
salad greens
2 tbsp ranch dressing (have a homemade recipe I use)
boiled egg
leftover meat
6 grape tomatoes

Dinner:
2 nitrate free smokies
salad greens
parmesan cheese
bacon
cesaer salad (Renee's)

Snack:
15 pepperoni rounds baked in toaster oven
10 assorted gourmet olives

Since starting keto my appetite is less, my cravings are gone and I am drinking a ton of water which includes two big glasses of my homemade electrolyte drink each day.

SharLamb

Sharron
I'm SO excited about what I did today:
KetoKupboard_copy.jpg

I also went to Trader Joe's today and got some healthy stuff to put into a few of those canisters. I've found that our pantry areas are way less crowded since we started the purge. Still a ways to go, but each step is rewarding beyond measure. And I do feel blessed that my husband wants to do this too. I can't imagine how hard it must be to have to cook "both ways."

taxed4ever

Administrator Crazy about the "O"
CHEERY O
I don't do breakfast either, don't eat until I am hungry and I try to keep my total carbs under 20grams. Just like Rae I only have water and coffee with whipping cream. 0 carbs in whipping cream and no sugar either who knew :noidea:

Lunch today consisted of a 2 egg omelette, shredded cheddar cheese, mushrooms and ham. With a 1/2 avocado on the side...yummy!!

Dinner tonight will be
Chicken Breast with mayo and parmesan cheese mixed together and spread on top of the chicken breasts bake at 425 for 20 minutes usual recipe has Italian seasoned bread crumbs on top so I just omit the crumbs. Perhaps some Cauliflower rice and Caesar salad with homemade dressing 0 carbs. A glass of white wine of course. :becky:

I do not track macros, never have its just too frustrating for me. I am like Casey and just keep track of my total carbs and rest takes care of itself. Don't overcomplicate things it just gets overwhelming. One thing I do have to get better at is the electrolyte drinking I am bad for not doing that!

taxed4ever

CHEERY O
Sharon what a wonderful layout!! Good for you I still have much to get rid of, but DH is not totally converted over to Keto yet. I am working on it, he doesn't ask for Pasta anymore and only wants a potato every once in a while. Its coming LOL.

taxed4ever

CHEERY O
Vicki the trick is to stay away from anything prepared, there are usually always hidden carbs and sugar in it. Keep it natural and you will not miss the prepared foods at all!

VickiStegall

Administrator
Designer
CHEERY O
Tracking things helps keep me on track. If I don't, I won't get enough fat and will fail or I'll eat too many carbs and fail. Both of which I've done before. If I have to enter it before I eat it, I'll be more conscious of what I'm having and if I really want it or not.

I still find myself getting very hungry off and on, but I can tell that's going to get better. And, today is only day 2.

Shar,
- what is the whipped cream device you mentioned?
- i'm going to try your quiche recipe. I've never had cottage cheese in one but I can imagine it's good.

Rae,
- What are pepperoni rounds?
- What's your electrolyte drink?

SharLamb

Sharron
Vicki the trick is to stay away from anything prepared, there are usually always hidden carbs and sugar in it. Keep it natural and you will not miss the prepared foods at all!

...and to read the labels! Couldn't believe how many "healthy" things I picked up (yes, even at Trader Joe's) that were still way too many carbs, and contained sugar.

I may try your whipped cream coffee. I normally enjoy a cup or so of black coffee when I wake up (Dave has been bringing it to me in a carafe IN BED almost every morning of our married life!), but maybe after the initial wake-up "injection," I'll try one with whipped cream. I LOVE my whipped cream dispenser!

Also, I watched a video by "Keto with Kristie," and she admitted that she doesn't worry about getting enough veggies! She used to think you needed two with dinner (not sure about the other meals), but she's down to usually having just one. Veggies have never been high on my list, but I've been increasing my intake (especially since getting the Sprializer), but I may relax since I have Kristie's permission! They are, after all, our biggest source of carbs.

Vickie, the whipped cream dispenser. I got it at Costco, but it is less money at Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01HF0JO7...t=&hvlocphy=9033294&hvtargid=pla-305459253760 You also need the chargers. It take a new one every time you reload the dispenser. Ours holds a pint of cream.

Last edited by a moderator:

AFTdesigns

Designer
Designer
Oh man, I can't NOT eat breakfast. I'd be one pissed off Mama for the rest of the day :D

I don't count macros or eat restrictively any certain way - when I changed my eating habits, I did just that, changed my habits, started eating "better". I do know everything works different for everyone and though!

SharLamb

Sharron
I also love 2 Keto Dudes podcasts, although they get a little too technical for me sometimes. But fun to listen to them in bed in the morning with my first few cups of coffee. http://2ketodudes.com/#listen

Kristie Sullivan is AWESOME! She has a very sweet demeanor, and seems like a natural teacher. https://zerocarbzen.com/2015/03/31/my-first-30-days-on-zero-carb-by-kristie-sullivan/

Kristie not only has a wonderful and very inspiring testimony, but she now has a cookbook, which I intend to buy!

The Diet Doctor was the place I started, and am into my 2nd week on his two-week challenge. We haven't followed it exactly, but almost. The food has been excellent and easy to make. We were past craving carbs right away, and feel satisfied with way less food than ever in our lives: https://www.facebook.com/search/videos/?q=the diet doctor

bcgal00

CHEERY O
Vicki .....to answer your questions.

pepperoni rounds (not the sticks but the little thin round pepperoni) placed on cookie sheet in oven at 375 (I use a toaster oven at 350) and bake about 8-10 minutes til they start to brown on the edges. I put them on a paper towel lined plate to soak up a bit of the grease b/c I like them to be a bit dryer but you don't have to do that. They are yummy.

my electrolyte drink is a glass of water, about 1/2 ounce of SF flavor (torani or davinci, I like peach or mango), 1/2 tsp salt and 1/4 tsp No-Salt (or any salt substitute that has potassium instead of sodium). I have one in the morning and later in the afternoon. I take one with me if I'm out of the house for more than a few hours. Trust me, if you are ever out and about and get the electrolyte cramps in your legs, you'll learn to keep someone on hand. I also keep a few salt packets in my purse if needed b/c in an emergency (muscle cramps) I can usually get a glass of water somewhere and toss in a packet or two of salt. Doesn't taste good but it works to get rid of the cramps. I don't cramp anymore b/c I make sure to replenish all the time but just in case. Better safe than sorry. I also keep a box of chicken bouillon cubes in my car glove box in case I need some extra sodium and want a hot drink instead of the electrolyte replacement drink.

SharLamb

Sharron
Yesterday was our 48th anniversary, and we went for dinner, with friends, to the Melrose Grill near us, which features awesome rib-eye steaks. I'm not much of a steak-eater, but these really are incredible. We haven't mentioned to friends that we're doing Keto, but they noticed we didn't eat the before-dinner bread. We just said we were saving our appetites for the steak. Then, when ordering, the waiter asked how we'd like our potatoes, and we said we didn't want any. He suggested substituting asparagus, and we accepted! I also ordered a side of the best grilled (& slathered in butter, I could tell!) mushrooms I've ever eaten. Again, there were comments about "no potato!!!!????" For of course the garlic mashed potatoes and baked potatoes at the Melrose are almost famous. Neither Dave nor I felt even tempted or deprived about the bread and potatoes. The steak was as good as anticipated, and especially delicious with those crunchy bits of fat! Guilt-free fat! We also each had a glass of wine...PERFECT.

We invited our friends back to our house for dessert. I had prepared ahead of time a One-Minute-Cupcake using a recipe from Kristie Sullivan. I warned our friends it was an experiment, but didn't tell them it was made with almond and coconut flour and sugar substitute. Glad I warned them. It was disappointing. All that saved it was a generous topping of whipped cream. But I probably won't make them again. At this point, I don't feel a need for sweets, so only did this because it was a celebration.

By the way, until a week ago, I drank diet Pepsi every single day. Haven't had any since May 11, and haven't WANTED any!!!! I can't believe that.

Today I'm feeling light-headed and a little queasy, so maybe I'm finally getting a touch of the "Keto Flu." But it's not bad enough to discourage me. I know what to do...broth...more salt.

My clothes are already beginning to feel looser, AND the swelling in my feet is virtually gone. For years I've been on two kinds of diuretics daily and still had swollen feet. I noticed an improvement right away on Keto, so hesitantly stopped taking the pills. Even without the pills, the swelling has gone down a bit every day. My shoes are loose! Who knew???!!!

Sorry to ramble on so much. Maybe my enthusiasm will curb itself in days to come. But I sort of hope not.

Vicki Robinson

Designer + Brush Queen + Mac Guru
Designer
It's very hot here in my corner of CA - over 90 degrees today (WAY over normal temps). So ... we'll be grilling some chicken thighs marinated in a chicken Shwarma blend. Then I'll make a veggie salad - cuke, tomatoes, carrot and radishes with a greek-like vinaigrette.

I have a TON of Low Carb/Keto boards on Pinterest. I'm in the process of re-organizing them, so there's a little overlap right now, but you can take a look here. Scroll past the digi/art related boards.

SharLamb

Sharron
Sounds like an awesome dinner, Vicki! Thanks for the link. Can't wait to visit!

Another Kloset Keto Kharacter koming out of the kloset! LOL I think there are more of us than I'd ever have dreamed.

Last edited by a moderator:

bcgal00

CHEERY O
I had a healthy lifestyle FB page before but gave it up after a few yrs but this week I changed the name to the same as my youtube channel Krazy For Keto and will start posting recipes, info and ideas in there. It's an open page so anyone can join. I've got lots of keto recipes on pinterest too so please feel free to follow my keto/low carb boards.
https://www.pinterest.com/raeclevett/

Vicki - I will check out your's too.

I pinned two good breakfast recipes this morning that are keto and lowish carb if you could net carbs which I am now doing about half the time. I didn't count net carbs for the first 3 mths until my body was totally and completely fat adapted but now I can count net carbs (minus fiber grams) and it's doesn't slow down my weight loss or stall me.

taxed4ever

CHEERY O
Not sure why but I cannot eat the recipes that call for Coconut flour, seems my body does not like it, I bloat up and I get indigestion Ugh!! So for now I need to just stick to the basics and have to stay away from the substitutes :mmph:

VickiStegall

Administrator
Designer
CHEERY O
I'm with you Trudy, I'm allergic to coconut (can have coconut oil but not the milk, water or meat) and I have to steer clear of sugar substitutes due to migraines and/or digestive issues. I do fine with almond flour though.

I'm going to check out all of the links - can't wait to watch your videos Rae! And, I"m going to get one of those whipped cream dispensers!

I'm planning to make this this weekend - http://www.kalynskitchen.com/2015/01/beefy-cheesy-low-carb-green-chile-bake.html?m=1

Tonight, I'm suffering - sugar craving big time.

SharLamb

Sharron
Vicki, that green chili dish looks awesome.

We were at IKEA today buying furniture for our new guest room. Everyone I saw was obese. I wanted to grab them all by the collar and point them toward Keto. But of course, one can't do that.

Tonight we were at Bible study, and there were several offerings of sugar/carb "goodies." Wasn't even the slightest bit tempting to me. I know that may not always be the case, but it sure felt good tonight. Hope you get over your sugar-craving QUICKLY, Vicki.

Just had an extra salty mug of chicken broth. Soothing to to soul. Tasted like chicken noodle soup, and I didn't miss the noodles.

Good night all.

SharLamb

Sharron
Woke up feeling dreadful. So glad I have no obligations today. Plan to wallow around in my Keto flu...maybe listen to some podcasts and drink broth.

bcgal00

CHEERY O
Shar - I know you said you were not so strict with keto and keeping track. A problem with not tracking your carbs is that you might be consuming too many carbs or too many at one time that is possibly flipping you in and out of ketosis which can make you feel "keto flu". It takes time for your body to become fat-adapted (meaning it fully transitions and your body knows what it needs to do to burn ketones for fuel and run properly). I suggest keeping track of carbs at least at first until you are fully fat-adapted. I track and am glad b/c some days I think I consumed well below 20 carbs and yet when I enter everything into my fitness pal I find out there were extra carbs in the meat and veggies that I wasn't expecting. You should only be feeling the keto flu the first day or two (if at all) and after that its b/c you were kicked out of ketosis.

So, just a suggestion, try tracking for awhile as you learn all the hidden carbs in condiments/meat/spices etc.

By the way, you can eat low carb (more a South Beach, Atkins type of diet) and not have to go into ketosis, eating a bit higher carb to stay in glucose burning mode which gives you more options, more flexibility. The main reason I have to do ketosis is b/c of carb/sugar cravings that won't go away if I glucose burn.

SharLamb

Sharron
Thanks Rae.

I do have a happy false alarm report:

I must have been salt deprived because of all the heavy, sweat-producing work we did yesterday. A cup of extra salty broth and a thin slice of havarti, and I felt fine on the inside. Took some ibuprofen, and feel better on the outside. I'm BAAAAck! Since neither Dave nor I felt any Keto flu the whole first week, I thought "this must be it" when I woke up feeling so bad.

I too, could not do South Beach or Atkins because of the sugar/carb craving and feeling of deprivation. So far there has been NO craving for sweets or other carbs (a first-in-my-life experience).

Saturday night! This is my plan for dinner: http://www.fathead-movie.com/index....e-older-brothers-oldest-sons-faux-carb-pizza/

VickiStegall

Administrator
Designer
CHEERY O
My hubby cooked out for us tonight so I will have meat for several days :)

I gotta say I'm shocked at how many carbs are in smoked sausage which kind of bummed me out because I LOVE it grilled but I had to watch how much of it I ate.

Shar, I'm glad you're feeling better! I have got to get some lite salt and/or chicken bullion because I'm having leg cramps pretty regularly.

SharLamb

Sharron
Vicki, I'm finding that I have way too much food. I had to freeze some of the ground beef I bought for menus for the 2-week Challenge by the Diet Doctor, and we have so many leftovers every day that I think it will last 3 or 4 weeks. Maybe because I've added some other things, like tonight's pizza. It was AWESOME, by the way. I used pepperoni and mushrooms for the toppings. Dave loved it too. We only ate 1/3 of it. You really can pick it up with your fingers. Dave suggested that the crust would make a great flat bread. He had to ask what was in it, and was surprised.

Nice that you'll have meat for several days, but sorry about the sausage. I don't enjoy sausage, so it's not a sacrifice for me.

Drank a mug of salted chicken broth when my legs started acting like restless leg was coming, and they seemed to have calmed down. Off to bed...church in the morning.

VickiStegall

Administrator
Designer
CHEERY O
That's exactly what it feels like for me - like restless leg. What type of chicken broth do you like?

SharLamb

Sharron
We're just using whatever it is Costco carries in the boxes. I'm planning to try making my own soon.

Dinner tonight was sauteed zucchini noodles (made with Spiralizer), left-over talapia (white fish) from 2 nights ago...included sauteed mushrooms and asparagus. Not my favorite recipe so far, but still VERY good and satisfying. I like my fish just a tad bit undercooked, but followed the recipe, and I think it cooked too long. Got a little dry the first time I served it, and even more so re-heating it tonight.

Anyone have an awesome Keto-friendly ice cream? ...especially one that can be made in the Blendtec or Vitamix?

Twice in the last couple days we have been in social situations and exposed to high-carb foods that we'd ordinarily have just happily scarffed down. Happy to report that neither of us was tempted in the least to indulge. I love this.

Just found out that a friend of ours is doing Keto to control his diabetes. I've been binge-watching lectures documentaries on YouTube discussing the pandemic of obesity. Very scary how much the diseases resulting from obesity drain the economy.

VickiStegall

Administrator
Designer
CHEERY O
It crazy when you actually take a look around when you go out in public how much bigger the general population is than 20 years ago. And, I'm right there now too - blech. Which is why I'm now keto. *fingers crossed

my hubby is using it to control his diabetes too.