Oscraps

Inspirational Quotes

petey111

O.k. Marathon post:

These are from "The Power of One" by Bryce Courtney. Fantastic novel. Read it. =):

"Where there's life, there's hope."

"The power of one...in each of us there burns a flame of independence that must never be allowed to go out...as long as it exists within us we cannot be destroyed."

"What's the use, you can't go arguing with a chicken can you?"

"I have found in life that everything, no matter how bad, comes to an end."

"Sometimes the slightest things change the directions of our lives, the merest breath of a circumstance, a random moment that connects like a meteorite striking the earth. Lives have swiveled and changed direction on the strength of a chance remark."

"Small can beat big if you have a plan."

"First with the head and then with the heart, that's how a man stays ahead from the start."

"Pride is holding your head up when everyone around you has theirs bowed. Courage is what makes you do it."

"Sometimes we live a lifetime in two days."

"Everything fits. Nothing is unexplained. Nature is a chain reaction. One thing follows the other, everything is dependent on something else. The smallest is as important as the largest."

"Always listen to yourself. It is better to be wrong than simply to follow convention. If you are wrong, no matter, you have learned something and you will grow stronger. If you are right, you have taken another step toward a fulfilling life."

"The more you know, the more you can control your destiny."

"A man is only free when he is free in his heart."

"The mystery is more important than any possible explanation."

"God is in nobody's pocket."

"Mystery, not logic, is what gives us hope and keeps us believing in a force greater than our own insignificance."

O.k. I just looked at my copy of Walden....wayyyyy too many quotations to put in here. hee hee...I also found Shackleton's Way. Very leadership oriented. If you need more quotations...go there! =)

LSlycord

Happiness is that state of consciousness which proceeds from the achievement of one's values. -- Ayn Rand

LSlycord

The most splendid achievement of all is the constant striving to surpass yourself and to be worthy of your own approval. -- Denis Waitley

LSlycord

Keep on sowing your seed, for you never know which will grow--perhaps it all will. --Albert Einstein

shakerbaker78

This thread is great! I will definitely be back when I have writers block.
Here is one of my favorites: "out of clutter find simplicity, from discord find harmony, in the middle of difficulty lies opportunity" Albert Einstein

petey111

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; because there is not effort without error and shortcomings; but who does actually strive to do the deed; who knows the great enthusiasm, the great devotion, who spends himself in a worthy cause, who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement and who at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly. So that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat.”

- Teddy Roosevelt

MissCrow

A bird doesn’t sing because it has an answer, it sings because it has a song.
— Maya Angelou

petey111

I'm so glad I looked here to see the fantastic Miss Crow with an "O Designer" label on her avi!!!!!! Yay!! and Welcome!

cmars2

Here are some mommy quotes. :)

"I am not a perfect mother and I will never be.
You are not a perfect daughter and you will never be.
But put us together and we will be the best mother and daughter we would ever be.
Zoraida Pesante

"A mother is a person who seeing there are only four pieces of pie
for five people, promptly announces she never did care for pie."
Tenneva Jordan

"Mothers are fonder than fathers of their children because
they are more certain they are their own."
Aristotle

"A mother is someone who dreams great dreams for you,
but then she lets you chase the
dreams you have for yourself and loves you just the same."
Author Unknown

cellomom

...loves her some "O"
Here are some mommy quotes. :)

"I am not a perfect mother and I will never be.
You are not a perfect daughter and you will never be.
But put us together and we will be the best mother and daughter we would ever be.
Zoraida Pesante

"A mother is a person who seeing there are only four pieces of pie
for five people, promptly announces she never did care for pie."
Tenneva Jordan

"Mothers are fonder than fathers of their children because
they are more certain they are their own."
Aristotle

"A mother is someone who dreams great dreams for you,
but then she lets you chase the
dreams you have for yourself and loves you just the same."
Author Unknown

THESE are awesome!!! thanks for joining in!!!

I am loving all the quotes, Ladies!!!!!!

mrstoa

mrstoa
A favourite of mine:
"I aways knew looking back on the tears would make me laugh
but I never knew looking back at the laughter could make me cry."
author unknown

bethory

Flatter me, and I may not believe you. Criticize me, and I may not like you. Ignore me, and I may not forgive you. Encourage me, and I will not forget you. Love me and I may be forced to love you.
William Arthur Ward

I like this thread! Have any of you checked out ThinkExist.com, or QuoteGarden.com? They are full of great quotes.

Thinkexist is wonderful! I get a lot of my quotes from there :) Here are a few of my favs. I LOVE Jane Austen, CS Lewis, Tolkien and the Dutch writer Rikkert Zuiderveld - too genius to translate to English unfortunately.

Friendship is born at that moment when one person says to another: "What! You, too? Thought I was the only one.” – CS Lewis

There is a kind of happiness and wonder that makes you serious. It is too good to waste on jokes. – CS Lewis

Oh! do not attack me with your watch. A watch is always too fast or too slow. I cannot be dictated to by a watch. - Jane Austen

But I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend - J.R.R. Tolkien (Faramir)

For in the end, freedom is a personal and lonely battle; and one faces down fears of today so that those of tomorrow might be engaged. - Alice Walker

Music washes away the dust from the soul of everyday life.

The piano keys are black and white, but they sound like a million colours in my mind
- Katie Melua

Love is being stupid together.-Paul Valery

Being deeply loved by someone gives you strength; loving someone deeply gives you courage.

I love you. It’s a poor excuse for what I’m doing, but it’s still true. (Stephenie Meyer – Twilight)

He don't make sense. I don't make sense. Together, we make sense.

I tripped over your heart and fell in love.

True love comes quietly, without banners or flashing lights. If you hear bells, get your ears checked.
~Erich Segal

And this is just too brilliant and so true (that is, for the few English I know):

"[...] do you have any idea what it's like being English? Being so correct all the time, being so stifled by this dread of, of doing the wrong thing, of saying to someone "Are you married?" and hearing "My wife left me this morning," or saying, uh, "Do you have children?" and being told they all burned to death on Wednesday. You see, [...] we're all terrified of embarrassment. That's why we're so... dead. Most of my friends are dead, you know, we have these piles of corpses to dinner." - Archie Leech

Tracy107

Amazing Thread!

Here's my contribution with quotes form Maya Angelou:

1. Nothing will work unless you do.
2. I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel.
3.. If you don't like something, change it. If you can't change it, change your attitude.

Here's my all time favorite, but don't know who the author is:

"As a mother, I've lost my mind but found my soul"

wahh that was a bunch of really nice and inspiring quotes.
well i have my very own quote.
its something that my couz made for me:
its ma foi moi saubera.
is the french thing right?
well it means that my feminine faith will save me
yah i don't know if its right but
the phrase sounds catchy doesn't it?
:]