Oscraps

I'm afraid the end is near...

MikkelPaige

Yes, that's right. The end is near. My computer has started to flash its "blue screen of death." This baby's lasted about 3 years. I suppose it's time.

Please cross your fingers for me...

And please also harass me to not be an idiot and to back my files up. Thank you. That is all.

(So the only down side is paying for a new computer which isn't in my budget (thank god for monthly payments) but the thought of getting a mac makes me happy!)

katg1006

Ohhh no!!!! No the blue screen!!! Quick back up!!! (((hugs)) Fingers crossed it keeps going for as long as it can!

LindaPete

Bummer Mikkel! Sorry to hear it. My hubby is a computer geek so he just keeps putting mine back together. There's no shortage of reprimand for all the downloads I have on my hard drive :( He just does not understand! Good luck! Back up those puppies!

clarabear

always chatty at the O!!
hurry hurry hurry!! Get it all backed up. I'm actually really bad about backing up, but I hope your puter doesn't keel over in the extremely near future.

N

NewAdmin

GIRL! i thought you were going to say you were LEAVING us again. i was about to head to orlando and slap you around!!! hahaha (and maybe stay a day or two until this freakishly cold weather in memphis blows over. hahahahaha!)

well... although it's sad news about your computer... i'm happy to hear that it's only that. (and like 80% happy that you're getting a mac... 20% jealous on that one. LOL)

and yes girl... back those files up!!!

faerywings

The Loopy-O
CHEERY O
Amanda- I thought that at first too. Not that I really need an excuse to go to Orlando this time of year :D but I would had to join in the butt kicking LOL

And yes, Back up!!!!!!!

PS: Did you hear ACDSee is coming out with a Mac version soon??

Cat

O' whip cracker whip
ROFL Amanda!! To funny.

Dude, back up, back up, its a computers version of a doner. Your computer is dying sweetheart and its time to let go, just think of all the new computers that your old one can provide life to if you BACK UP!!

Genevieve

Ninja Admin
I SO want a Mac. I just got a new Dell laptop last year, and it has been the biggest pain in my BE-hind! I am SO getting a Mac when it dies, but it will probably last forever just to spite me.

Hope you can salvage your files, though! You should get hooked up with an online backup service. Mine has saved my butt more than once!

clarabear

always chatty at the O!!
Online back up service, huh? I've never looked into that. I should though. Also...what is so great about MACs? I've never used one and don't know what is great about them. Most everyone I know that has one loves it. I am so used to Microsoft and all the other PC stuff that goes along with it.

Genevieve

Ninja Admin
The thing that is great about Macs (to me) is that the hardware and software is specifically designed by Apple to work together, whereas with PCs, you have processor chips made by Intel, motherboards made by whoever else, operating system made by Windows, all of it packaged up by Dell (or whoever), so between all those different entities there is plenty of room for things to go horribly wrong.

Plus, I just really can't stand Vista. I mean, I heard everyone talking about how horrible it was when it first came out, and I've been a Windows girl my whole life so I thought, "It can't possibly be that bad." But it is. Vista CRASHED my computer because I shut it down when it was in the middle of an update I wasn't even aware it was running. And when I called Dell tech support they told me there was no way to retrieve any of the data on my computer, that the only thing they could do was wipe it and reinstall everything. I was furious. Luckily, they were wrong, and a friend of mine was able to get to my data through DOS (plus I did have my online backup). Still... I now feel pretty crappy trusting my business (which is completely reliant on my computer) to Windows Vista. Dell isn't what it used to be, and Vista is not an improvement for Windows, IMO.

MikkelPaige

Yeah, after a failed Dell and HP (what I have now that I haven't been impressed with) I vowed my next would be Apple. I'm done w/PCs!

I have an external hard drive. What's the cheapest but most efficient online service? (Best bang for your buck type thing?)

clarabear

always chatty at the O!!
I'll have to consider that. We've had our computer for years and eventually it is going to keel over and go kaput so I will have to keep Mac in mond. Do you prefer the desktop or laptop??

Genevieve

Ninja Admin
Online backup: I use Carbonite, and am pretty happy with it. They don't backup externals, though--just what's on your computer. Mozy supposedly backs up your computer AND externals, and I think they're priced pretty fairly.

Desktop vs Laptop? That's tough. I have a laptop now and I love being able to take it with me, but Mac laptops are pretty pricey (well, the one I want), so when I get to that point I might switch back to a desktop... Although, I hope I'm making more money in three years, in which case I might be able to afford the laptop I want (a 17" macbook pro). LOL

Bush Girl

I'm a very lucky girl and have a iMac & a MacBook laptop. MacBook is cute and all, but not a patch on my iMac, which is SPLENDID and AWESOME and WELL BEHAVED and RELIABLE and NEVER CRASHES (well, actually, that bit's not true - don't believe that Mac's never crash, they just don't seem to crash in such a huge and fatal way) but it really does run Adobe software BEAUTIFULLY.

I'm not Evangelical about Mac's but I definitely wouldn't go back to PCs, given the option (and I am currently typing this from a PC - and it's driving me nuts coz the key strokes are different - and I had been a PC girl for 15 yrs).

One thing though, my Macbook is just too small screen wise, and too slow for decent scrapbooking - it drives me crazy and I only use when on holiday, as even the mouse is annoying. Wish I'd bought a ram upgrade at the point of purchase.

PS: backing up is a cynch with Mac's too!

katg1006

Ohhhh now I am even more confused about my laptop want :) Making me want to reconsider the MacBook!

N

NewAdmin

a mac is DEFINITELY on my list. everyone i know who even touches photos or graphics swear by their macs... and they are all converts from pc's. i have another (if i'm lucky) 2 years out of what i have now. it's a dell 17" laptop. it's a great computer and all, but i would definitely rather have a mac. and i think i'll actually go down a size. the 17" is just enormous and weighs more than i do. it's not comfortable at allll to set on my lap and work and since it weighs so much... i rarely even take it anywhere. my son got a 15" laptop for christmas and i'm so jealous at how light-weight it is and how much more mobile it is. hahahaha.

danger girl

Mikkel, I'm sorry about your blue screen of death :( I hope you get everything backed up in time.

I've had Macs for 10 years. I've never had a major problem. I have 5 Macs (3 iMacs, 2 laptops) and they all still work fine for the most part. I'm more likely to "outgrow" my computer than kill it. I have had a couple hardware problems. On my last iMac after about 3 years the DVD/CD drive started acting up. Sometimes it would read a disk, sometimes it wouldn't. When I first got this iMac about a year and a half ago, it would freeze when I was running PSCS3. I had to install more RAM (super easy, did it myself) now it's great. I also had to take it in to have the DVD/CD burner looked at because it wouldn't eject disks anymore. They ended up replacing the drive. I'm glad I got AppleCare because I probably got my money's worth just with that repair alone.

So my point is that Macs aren't perfect, but they are pretty darn good.