Oscraps

I did it! I deleted all of my fonts!

faerywings

The Loopy-O
CHEERY O
:eek:
No worries, I backed them all up first. :p
I don't know how I ended up with a lot of the fonts that were in my Windows Font Folder. I have been collecting/hoarding (tomato/tomahto) since the early 2000s when I first started doing hybrid paper and computer scrapping. Each time I have gotten a new computer over the last 20 years, I kept all of them and then added more and more. It is time to start weeding out all of the ones I don't use.
I had ~500 fonts installed, so I copied them to a different drive and then hit Ctrl-A Delete, That was rough! All of the protected fonts are still there but I created a System Restore point just in case I botched things up.
Now I am working from the Drive that I copied them to. I am viewing them in Font Base, deleting the ones that I will never use and moving the ones I will use to a third hard drive. That is where I keep all of my uninstalled fonts. (Please don't ask how many there are there, it is in the thousands) I have them separated into folders by Type/Style but sometimes I can't decide is it a Script font or a Signature Font? This is going to take a long time!

Have any of you ever done this? Would love to hear how all of you fontaholics organize your fonts too. Are they scattered all over your computers too?

Cherylndesigns

I'm in The Zone ~ The "O" Zone
CHEERY O
You got grit, girl! No, I have never done this, but I need to - I have a ton of them and wish I could give them organized. I used to print pages out that showed what each font looked like. I'm not that organized now. LOL

scribler

The O is my hOme.
CHEERY O
When I moved to Windows from Mac in late 2020 that pretty much required me to start over. I just wish I could find a good font orgranizer. I pretty much resort to searching for a new font whenever I don't want to use one of my favs even though I have tons of fonts.

AZK

Queen of the Universe
CHEERY O
Quite a few years ago I went through all my fonts and took the time to check and see if I had ever actually used each one. If I did I kept it, but if not I deleted it. I also uninstalled them all and just moved the ones I wanted to keep to a folder. I use Nexusfont to organize them, which works well enough for me. I can tag a font as a Script font, Signature font, AND Brush font if I can't decide which style it is. I haven't organized my fonts in a few years, though, so I know I have some newer fonts that need sorting.

I really really HATE that all the system fonts show up in PSE by default. I wish there was a way to make them go away, lol.

Susan - s3js

CHEERY O
Hmmmm, have you been visiting my computer, @faerywings ? I know I have thousands, too. MANY of them are still zipped! Yuo know, I've worked with computers since I was 18 (a LONG time ago) and I have not been able to figure out font viewing/use software outside my programs. Tutorial anyone?

Jam-on-toast

CHEERY O
Fonts are a mess... I have TONS but kep using the same ones over and over... deleting them all seems drastic, but it's not really... sometimes (aka often) f I need a font - like typiwriter style, dymo, handwritten, swirly... I'll just download a new one for PU - it takes about 30 seconds... and then it's there in my collection but more often... though I often forget I have it so I ed up downloading yet another one..

seniorgal

I keep my fonts in Nexus Font under different categories. I am in the process of cleaning them out
and have a page with lots of journaling and a title and try the fonts out on that. If they are not easy to read I delete them. It is taking forever to go through them all.
I've come to the conclusion you only really need about 3 fonts!

Kythe

@AZK I hear you about being able to get rid of the default fonts in PSE. There are so many that look the same to me. I have limited the ones I have installed on PSE as they make the program work slower. I find the same thing with the organizer so I have limited what I put in there to mainly masks, graffiti and CU products. NO photos no elements. I am still at close to maximum capacity. Yikes.

Reactions: AZK

Madi

Diane
CHEERY O
never deleted fonts, but the last time we had to get a new laptop I only reinstalled my favourite ones.
and of all the fonts that are still there, I only use a few!

LSlycord

Walk away from digital scrapping for about 10 years...I really need to find out what that number is....and switch computers lots of times in the middle...and you don't have a fonts problem. LOL Not really an approach that I recommend. But I did have to go find some fonts a couple of months ago. And, it does allow me the luxury of looking for new fonts whenever I scrap.

VickiStegall

Administrator
Designer
CHEERY O
Walk away from digital scrapping for about 10 years...I really need to find out what that number is....and switch computers lots of times in the middle...and you don't have a fonts problem. LOL Not really an approach that I recommend. But I did have to go find some fonts a couple of months ago. And, it does allow me the luxury of looking for new fonts whenever I scrap.
I can't say I recommend that approach lol! I'm so happy you're back!

marijke

I love the O!
CHEERY O
T hat was my intention when installing my new macbook ... but because I could install via time machine everything transferred smoothly .... and until now I have not had the courage 'yet' to empty the folder of the fonts ...

marijke

I love the O!
CHEERY O
I can see that my list of fonts in ps is getting infinitely long ... spring is the time for big cleaning ...

LSlycord

I can't say I recommend that approach lol! I'm so happy you're back!
Ok...guess what I just found? An external hard drive that has lots of scrap stuff and photos from 2007. Stuff from you (Your Glitzy Green Alpha...I loved that!), Amanda, Nina, Sue... What a rabbit hole I went down! I love everyone here now but, at the same time, I miss the folks from the past. Anyway, I guess maybe I didn't get rid of everything after all!

Susan - s3js

CHEERY O
@vickyday I resemble that remark, many not even installed yet. I have an organizer/viewer app but have no idea what to do with it and how to get the fonts to PPSC. I can usually make a computer do almost anything - except organize and manage my fonts (alphas, too, and paper, and...)!

bcgal00

CHEERY O
I use NexusFonts for organizing and viewing fonts. I have been slowly purging as I find that I don't use many of them, maybe only about 50 or so, on a regular basis so I feel good about keeping around 400 which I feel is more than I will ever use.

Vicki Robinson

Designer + Brush Queen + Mac Guru
Designer
When I moved to Windows from Mac in late 2020 that pretty much required me to start over. I just wish I could find a good font orgranizer. I pretty much resort to searching for a new font whenever I don't want to use one of my favs even though I have tons of fonts.
I’m using this one - Wendyzine recommended it. it’s inexpensive and I love it.

faerywings

The Loopy-O
CHEERY O
Oh oh oh!! I meant to start a new thread about this. I started to use the free version of Main Type. I will do that as soon as I start today's Dialy Ooos thread!