Oscraps

How do You Find Elements

pachimac

I solemnly swear I am up to no good!
CHEERY O
to do your AJ pages?

For instance, I have had something really disappointing happen in my life, and I want to scrap it, but I don't know what to use.

Do you just go through all your kits until you see something that resonates? Do you have your kits separated so that you can find different themes?

How do you start to get your feelings down??

scribler

The O is my hOme.
CHEERY O
Sometimes I'll do a search on the feeling I want to scrap because there'll be a kit with that name to be the starting point. Otherwise I just scroll through my supplies. I really need to get my tagging going again. The tagging on OS X was so good and I miss it.

wombat146

ONA - Administrator
CHEERY O
Yep, same as Cindy here, I don't tag anything on my pc. Sometimes I go to the store and do a search there and then have a look at the products there and then I check to see if it is in my stash on my pc. :)

I use colour a lot to express my feelings so if I feeling down etc. and want to do an AJ page I search for those colours as well, it can give me a starting point and then I can build from there. Or maybe you can think of something that would be symbolic of what you are feeling disappointed about...... maybe a girl crying for instance, then I would search for 'faces' and see if something comes up in the store or if you have tagged your stash that would be easy as well. Hope that helps in some way! :)

Vicki Robinson

Designer + Brush Queen + Mac Guru
Designer
For me, any kit works — I’m more drawn, as @wombat146, to colors to express mood. I use hidden journaling to express my thoughts. I have some “wonky women” faces in my shop that are suitable for various emotions and I kits/collections that are geared more towards grief, mental health, healing etc, but it’s the word strips that really express those feelings more than the elements themselves.

veer

I love the "O"
CHEERY O
I have a folder with only papers and only elements, which are sorted by designer.
Like Ona, I sometimes search the shop first, or I enter the name in my folders with the search function. I think it's harder for feelings.

I've made folders with special themes in the past so that I could find them easily. Now I don't do that as much as in the past (lack of time)

pachimac

CHEERY O
thank you ladies! I will answer each one individually when I am not on my phone. I don't like typing lots of words on my teeny phone.

bcgal00

CHEERY O
I don't tag. I scroll thru my kit previews and see if something stands out to me. I also search in the store to see what comes up.

faerywings

The Loopy-O
CHEERY O
Yep, same as Cindy here, I don't tag anything on my pc. Sometimes I go to the store and do a search there and then have a look at the products there and then I check to see if it is in my stash on my pc. :)

I do this a lot too. I also have a lot of my kits tagged and (relatively) organized including by emotions. I can usually find a lot of stuff that way

pachimac

CHEERY O
Sometimes I'll do a search on the feeling I want to scrap because there'll be a kit with that name to be the starting point. Otherwise I just scroll through my supplies. I really need to get my tagging going again. The tagging on OS X was so good and I miss it.

Yep. That's how I normally do it and it seems to be taking longer and longer for me to find what I'm looking for.

pachimac

CHEERY O

I use colour a lot to express my feelings so if I feeling down etc. and want to do an AJ page I search for those colours as well, it can give me a starting point and then I can build from there. Or maybe you can think of something that would be symbolic of what you are feeling disappointed about...... maybe a girl crying for instance, then I would search for 'faces' and see if something comes up in the store or if you have tagged your stash that would be easy as well. Hope that helps in some way! :)

I haven't tagged anything either. I think the hardest part is that I am sort of starting from scratch for some of the elements. I used a designer that's not here OR where I also go, and I really don't want another site to be a part of, so I can't use her stuff to do the really gritty ones. Then the same designer does collabs - and most of my really hard emotions have been scrapped by their stuff. If I want to use them for any of the challenges, I really can't. Yeah, I can use pieces, but it's not enough.

I need to set up a new line up of AJ designers and kits that I can use at the other place and here.

pachimac

CHEERY O
For me, any kit works — I’m more drawn, as @wombat146, to colors to express mood. I use hidden journaling to express my thoughts. I have some “wonky women” faces in my shop that are suitable for various emotions and I kits/collections that are geared more towards grief, mental health, healing etc, but it’s the word strips that really express those feelings more than the elements themselves.

I'm almost wondering if I just need to make some "emotion" strips on my own. Those are the hardest ones to find for me that fit perfectly! Your kits are ones that I am finding to work here at oScraps. :)

pachimac

CHEERY O
I have a folder with only papers and only elements, which are sorted by designer.
Like Ona, I sometimes search the shop first, or I enter the name in my folders with the search function. I think it's harder for feelings.

I've made folders with special themes in the past so that I could find them easily. Now I don't do that as much as in the past (lack of time)

I'm thinking of making a folder "Suitable for AJ" with kits in them that I can use.

pachimac

CHEERY O
I do this a lot too. I also have a lot of my kits tagged and (relatively) organized including by emotions. I can usually find a lot of stuff that way

I've never even entertained the thought to tag my kits. The thought is completely overwhelming with the sheer giggage of kits that I have!

scribler

The O is my hOme.
CHEERY O
Yep. That's how I normally do it and it seems to be taking longer and longer for me to find what I'm looking for.
I understand that feeling but I can't get any organization started on Windows that doesn't seem like a lost cause.

wombat146

ONA - Administrator
CHEERY O
I should make a file with just kit previews in it. That's an idea!
That's and excellent idea Susie and thanks for mentioning it in the first place Rae @bcgal00 ! I have started a new folder called Previews and have just moved a bunch of Rachel's kit/collection previews into it and I LOVE it! I can easily scroll through instead of going to each kit folder and looking at the preview that way! It will take some time to set it up properly but I think it will be worth it in the end! :)

svanderhaegen

CHEERY O
I am terrible at organizing all my stuff, so, I just browse my collection. I know which designers have which style, so for artsy I go to their stuff, for pocket pages I need to browse through other designers...

I just have a folder for each designer, and in that folder I have subfolders for each kit they have. Than those kits are subdivided in papers/elements/overlays/journal cards....etc
I never did any tagging, and with over 2 Tb of items, it is now impossible to do.

faerywings

The Loopy-O
CHEERY O
One of the "quick tips" I use for non-O kits is that I only tag the previews. I don't; use those as often for challenges or LOs where I need something more specific. But I can still find them if I am making a card/page fo ran album that isn't for here.

Susan - s3js

CHEERY O
I have a spreadsheet with my kits listed including designer, where I got it, what other shops it's at, retired or active, type of kit - seasonal, heritage, artsy, etc. I've been playing with the idea of putting the preview in the first cell but I just don't know yet. I also have a shop folder with individual designer folders inside. I place a copy of the preview in the main shop folder then use it for the folder picture when I customize the folder.