Oscraps

Have You Ever Seen a Corpse Flower?

AZK

Queen of the Universe
CHEERY O
Or smelled one? I haven't, but there's a lot of chatter in the local media about a privately owned plant that is flowering right now. It's owned by a couple that live about an hour from where I live:

Screenshot 2024-04-10 115207.jpg

In a nutshell, the plant only flowers about every 7 years and only for 1-3 days. It gets its name from the smell it produces during flowering that smells like decomposing flesh, to attract pollinators. There's apparently another one at a local public conservatory, but that building is closed for remodeling and I'm not sure when the plant is due to bloom again anyways. You can get an idea of how large the plant is by the man climbing down the ladder in my screenshot.

They're apparently very rare and on the endangered list. They originally come from Sumatra but there are more in managed collections than in nature right now, supposedly less than 1000 plants world-wide.

janedee

Very cool! I have heard of them but never seen or smelt one. I didn't realize they were so huge!

DesignsByCRK

Designer
Wow, nope never heard, seen or smelt one (thankfully) before lol. And now that I know a little bit about them, I have no inclination to either :giggle4:

• Haha
Reactions: AZK

faerywings

The Loopy-O
CHEERY O
I haven't seen one in person, but I honestly think I would like to. Just for the unique experience of seeing and smelling it. A few (maybe more than a few, time has no meaning LOL)years ago, one bloomed at the NY Botanical Gardens and it was on the local news for days. Seemed pretty neat!

Reactions: AZK

mimes1

CHEERY O
That's so cool! That picture of it is amazing and really helps with the size perspective. That's a pretty spectacular plant!

VickiStegall

Administrator
Designer
CHEERY O
I mean it smelled bad, but it was totally worth seeing it!!! If you have the chance, you should totally take the time.