Oscraps

Favourite things party - ideas?

tjscraps

Has anyone ever been to one of these? I'm invited to one on Friday, and I think it's a cool idea but I have no idea what to take!

This is the idea:

Each person brings 4 of the same item, wrapped. Max $15 value. 1 of the items goes on the grand prize table for one person to win, and the other 3 get names drawn and that person 'wins' it - everyone goes home with 3 different favourite things, and one person goes home with one of everything.

I keep thinking of food items I could make but then I think people might not like that, so looking for cool ideas for the 4 gifts I need to take.

Caro

CHEERY O
I've never done this one but my husband's family has a tradition of doing Secret Santa and everyone brings a wrapped present under $25 and we all take a turn choosing one, and the next person that's up to choose can choose one gift from the table or take whatever the last person unwrapped..each person gets only two chances and then gets *stuck* with their second try. It gets pretty cutthroat :eek:
I usually get a unisex gift but the things that get fought for the most are gift cards which is my usual go-to buy ;)

Cherylndesigns

I'm in The Zone ~ The "O" Zone
CHEERY O
I haven't been to any parties like this, but a club I used to belong to did something similar.

What I REALLY like is to find some beautiful kitchen towels (I am a kitchen towel nut, anyway) and wrap an item in the towel. That way, they get a cool towel + a gift inside. You would need to gift wrap it too, right? Some of the kitchen towels I have are fairly pricey.

AFTdesigns

Designer
Designer
I've never done this one but my husband's family has a tradition of doing Secret Santa and everyone brings a wrapped present under $25 and we all take a turn choosing one, and the next person that's up to choose can choose one gift from the table or take whatever the last person unwrapped..each person gets only two chances and then gets *stuck* with their second try. It gets pretty cutthroat :eek:
I usually get a unisex gift but the things that get fought for the most are gift cards which is my usual go-to to buy ;)

We do this with my stepmoms family at Christmas as well. It does get pretty funny!

For things like that I generally try to stay with things that are pretty "useful". Like maybe a household item.

VickiStegall

Administrator
Designer
CHEERY O
I really like hand made soaps.

Maybe really quality chocolate - like a small variety pack so it's a special treat and not just a bag of hersheys

Or make some packs of cards (you could do digi and print them)

mywisecrafts

CHEERY O
I have not been to one of these type of parties. Candles, bookstore/amazon gift cards, so I like making gifts (etched wine glasses, shot glasses, etc with funny sayings on them)

faerywings

The Loopy-O
CHEERY O
I haven't been to a party like that, Trina. White Elephant gift exchange yes, but we were told to bring something awful. We got stuck with a Chia pet head once.

Do they have to be identical? If you did something like shot glasses, you could get different staying on them and people could trade if they wanted to. Same of you got a box of chocolates. The TJ MAXX by me had bags of filled chocolates and they were different flavors, one was cappuccino, one was coconut etc.

tanteva

all i need is Oscraps, cOffee, chOcOlate & tOfu
Like the towel idea - think I'm going to snatch that. Maybe wrap a soap and a bottle of schampoo or something in it? But, I guess I would go with something edible - chocolate or a cheese or something?

Last year I got a very special gift from Secret Santa at work: the idea was to get something for about $5. I got an expensive fairtrade chocolate bar (that was about $5) - but also added to the gift was a certificate that my Secret Santa had donated another $50 (!) in my name to Rädda Barnen (Save the children) and their work for refugee children in the world. I was moved to tears. Best gift ever!

tjscraps

Y’all are way more family friendly than I am . I got one thing for them so far - a mini bottle of fireball and a mini bottle of rumchata liqueur. Very nummy together lol. We have some really nummy pretzels (Canadian made) I’ll probably throw in there and then try one your ideas for a shot glass or candle or something for the other $5 value.