Oscraps

ETA: Need computer recommendations, please!! FYI: I am having computer issues.

faerywings

The Loopy-O
CHEERY O
:( My graphics card died. The good one that ran my two monitors... *cries*
I have a "backup" card right now that is good enough that I can get online. I didn't realize how spoiled I was having a good card. I had two monitors set up for scrapping and for stuff here and it was fast. This one is gonna make me pull my hair out. But if I can get on here, I will accept being bald for the O. It is a worthy cause :D
Hopefully, I can figure out what to do. Do I get a new graphics card? DH told me that the prices of gaming cards have skyrocketed because that's what is used for bit mining. Or do I get a new computer? I start saving money as soon as I get a new computer cuz I know that they always die when you least expect it. This one is "only" five years old.

I feel bad for Gary-- he had his eye on this graphics card and was planning on taking it when I got a new computer.

Yup, my IT Guy and sweetheart husband was not able to get the graphics card working. He tried every trick he could but it isn't working. Now I am trying to figure out what I should buy. I don't know if I want a desktop again or if I try a laptop.
As fellow scrappers and photographers, do you find that you have sufficient storage on a laptop? I know lots of people get EHD's but that can get expensive. I definitely want two monitors again. Just one day without that second and it seems so strange.

What kind of computer and add ons do you have?

Last edited:

AZK

Queen of the Universe
CHEERY O
Sorry you're going through that, Chris. I know absolutely nothing about graphics cards. I did have to replace the hard drive on my laptop a couple of years ago. That wasn't too expensive, but I have been wondering lately if something else goes wrong, would it be better to just get a new machine.

Cherylndesigns

I'm in The Zone ~ The "O" Zone
CHEERY O
Oh Chris, I hope you get this figured out. I'm like Angie, I know NOTHING about graphics cards. I've been working on a SLOW connection since December, as you know, so I can relate to slow. I'm lucky I have any hair left, but you know I do. LOL I've found myself pulling at my bangs, though. I have to wait so long for everything that I lay my head on my hand and "play" with my hair. (cross eyed emoji). Good luck. Wish I could help.

felis

I have no knowledge about that (and this makes me feel silly), but when my computer died my BIL make research and he calculate that properly replacement will cost me more than brand new computer on current deal. I don't know why, but computer companies here makes the separate parts expensive.

My advice is to talk with someone who assemble computers, not brand provider. Your son probably have friend who do that, someone who is into gaming! Or save yourself headache and get computer on deal.

scribler

The O is my hOme.
CHEERY O
Forget graphics cards right now. David has been trying for months to buy one. Yes, miners are part of the problem but chip availability as a whole is a huge issue right now. Lot of car makers are having to idle plants because they can't get the chips they need to build vehicles. Heck, the card he got for his build to last until he can get a new card is several hundred dollars more than what he paid for it before Christmas.

I got an Asus Tuf Gaming laptop late last year and it has been a really great choice. Ryzen 7 processor and RTX 2060 graphics card. Expandable memory and space for two internal hard drives. The one I purchased is no longer available but finding a gaming laptop at the right price could be a good choice.

ETA: What processor do you have currently? David suggested that an Intel processor with integrated graphics might give you a processor upgrade and hold you over on graphics until you can get the graphics card you want.

Last edited:

faerywings

The Loopy-O
CHEERY O
This is just fab! Here I decide to get back to digiscrapping and oscraps ... and you decide to crash your puter just to avoid me. Really really nice of you!

:p:D:D:D
I tried throwing the darn thing out the window as soon as you came back but I couldn't get the window open in time!! :eek: :p:p:p

I have *missed* you and that kooky sense of humor!

faerywings

The Loopy-O
CHEERY O
@scribler I have no idea what you said there. haha!!
Seriously, thank you and thank David for the suggestions. I think I am going to have to bite the bullet and get a new one ASAP because it keeps restarting itself in the middle of everything which is never a good sign. I showed Gary what you wrote and he understood all and said it is a great setup. We looked at ASUS laptops but I think the screens are going to be too small. I have two *big* monitors and old lady eyes so I think a tower is going to be my best bet as long as I can use the monitors I have now.
I would tell you the specs on the few we are looking at right now but they mean absolutely nothing to my non-technical brain. If Gary says he would use it then I know it's better than what I would get on my own. LOL

scribler

The O is my hOme.
CHEERY O
@faerywings As long as your new laptop has an hdmi/dvi/display port, you should be able to hook up one of the monitors. David has his work laptop hooked to a 42" monitor at home. (He'll miss that when he goes back to the office.) At work he uses a docking station to run two monitors. Something to keep in mind if you can't find a tower you want.

I told David about your computer restarting itself in the middle of everything and he thinks that could be a software issue.

faerywings

The Loopy-O
CHEERY O
@faerywings As long as your new laptop has an hdmi/dvi/display port, you should be able to hook up one of the monitors. David has his work laptop hooked to a 42" monitor at home. (He'll miss that when he goes back to the office.) At work he uses a docking station to run two monitors. Something to keep in mind if you can't find a tower you want.

I told David about your computer restarting itself in the middle of everything and he thinks that could be a software issue.
You and David are so helpful, thank you! Give some kisses to the dogs from me-- just because :p

taxed4ever

Administrator Crazy about the "O"
CHEERY O
Sorry you are having these issues @faerywings !! I am a Mac girl all the way, so I am of no help to you at all!! But sounds like Cindy and her great man are giving you some wonderful adivce!

scrapinmom

CHEERY O
We go through Toms Hardware guide online for recommendations. They figure out what you need based on your needs- i.e. a gamer, photoshop or whatever. First and foremost get a good video card and processor. Good luck

Ann06

Take a look in you tube about assembly of computers, I looked in there when I created mine, you can pick a budget and they give you the best on every component that you may need graphic cards, memory, mother board etc. I can try to find the components that I used if you like to build a new one from scratch. It is a complicated matter if you are a new at that. Please check you tube. HTH. Ann

faerywings

The Loopy-O
CHEERY O
Take a look in you tube about assembly of computers, I looked in there when I created mine, you can pick a budget and they give you the best on every component that you may need graphic cards, memory, mother board etc. I can try to find the components that I used if you like to build a new one from scratch. It is a complicated matter if you are a new at that. Please check you tube. HTH. Ann
We go through Toms Hardware guide online for recommendations. They figure out what you need based on your needs- i.e. a gamer, photoshop or whatever. First and foremost get a good video card and processor. Good luck
Thank you both, those are really great suggestions. My DH has a great head for specs and what "thingie" is the right amount of "whatever." Me-- I am still trying to figure out if TB is bigger than KB. (Not really but that *that* far off :D )
He has built a lot of computers- even an arcade machine- from pieces and parts. I don't know if he has used Tom's but will pass that along. @Ann06 thank you again for the offer! If you have the info handy that would be awesome, but if not, please don't go out of your way to look for it.
Hugs!!

Ann06

Thank you both, those are really great suggestions. My DH has a great head for specs and what "thingie" is the right amount of "whatever." Me-- I am still trying to figure out if TB is bigger than KB. (Not really but that *that* far off :D )
He has built a lot of computers- even an arcade machine- from pieces and parts. I don't know if he has used Tom's but will pass that along. @Ann06 thank you again for the offer! If you have the info handy that would be awesome, but if not, please don't go out of your way to look for it.
Hugs!!
I will try to get it for you shortly sure.

zanthia

CHEERY O
what card did you have - pcs sold in costco and places like that have awful cards if there even is a dedicated card, and the power supply is the pits.

its a shame that toms hardware no longer has its forums - they helped me when i had to pick parts for my pc - hubby built it. seems like hardware sites are losing thier forums- another o ne i used t o use was gone when my pc was built 2 years a go.

faerywings

The Loopy-O
CHEERY O
I will try to get it for you shortly sure.
Thank you again but no need to worry about it, I was able to order one yesterday and I found it with a $400 coupon! That made it well under my budget. I was looking at Tom's and found a "budget" Dell and as I was checking out, an app came up with coupons and there was a similar computer. The only difference was that there wasn't as much storage but DH said that there was plenty of slots to put my 1TB hard drive in.

@zanthia the old card was a NVIDIA *something something* I think this one has a NVIDIA GeForce or something like that. It is a gaming desktop. (as I try to sound like I know what I am talking about hah!)

Appreciate your help!!!

zanthia

CHEERY O
Thank you again but no need to worry about it, I was able to order one yesterday and I found it with a $400 coupon! That made it well under my budget. I was looking at Tom's and found a "budget" Dell and as I was checking out, an app came up with coupons and there was a similar computer. The only difference was that there wasn't as much storage but DH said that there was plenty of slots to put my 1TB hard drive in.

@zanthia the old card was a NVIDIA *something something* I think this one has a NVIDIA GeForce or something like that. It is a gaming desktop. (as I try to sound like I know what I am talking about hah!)

Appreciate your help!!!
great that you ordered one, hope it works out well for oyu

faerywings

The Loopy-O
CHEERY O
@faerywings You ordered a desktop and didn't share a link so I can see the specs cause I am just nosy. I don't think I can handle this. lol
hahaha!! I was looking at the website for you and all it says under the Orders is that it is a Dell G5 Gaming Desktop. I tried to search that but there are a lot of them and I have no idea which one is the one we ordered. As soon as I figure it out, I will let your enquiring mind mind know :D