Oscraps

Does anyone make their own calendars?

rugbana

Ok girls - I am going to question you out!!

So I have been thinking about attempting to make my own calendars this year as Christmas gifts. I normally do it through snapfish but would like to be able to do a bit more of a personal touch to it.

Does anyone do their own calendars? Any tips, suggestions?
I know their is kits out there - but I guess I am wondering about binding them?

clarabear

always chatty at the O!!
I make my own LOs and print them through Costco. You can put in your own dates and everything, with pictures for birthdays and stuff. My family loves them and is now expectant of them each year.

Bush Girl

I'm another Bind-it-all fan. I bought a kit from Designer Digitals, inserted my own photos and got this printed, then stuck each month on black heavy duty paper, created a folding "foot" and bound it. I set up a production line and made about 6 - only thing was, I forgot to make one for myself!

3809165692_72bd6d7df9_o.jpg

sandracvrt

I did layouts and uploaded to shutterfly... you can put in special dates and everything... I was very happy with them and so were the grandparents!

katg1006

Wow Selena that is fabulous!!!!'

'I did the same as Sandra I use Shutterfly every year so far I am very happy with them. You can add your own special dates etc.

hondachicc

I made them for my whole family last christmas...they loved them!!!

I got mine bound at memorymixer.com....they do the thirteen page calendar (so you can make your own cover too) for 19.95 and around the middle of november they run a sale on them..like 25% off. and they turn out totally fabulous!!! they look just like you bought them from a store.

petey111

If you are in good with an elementary school, you might be able to buy the binder clips and use a binder machine at the school if they have one.

I did Shutterfly, but I couldn't figure out a way to get a plain "background" behind my "full page" picture. That's was annoying. I bought the premade calendar from Shabby Princess, but I like Designer Digitals premade stuff too.

t_a_l_i

I bought a quick page calendar kit from Natali Designs and had a local printer do several for me. They turned out beautifully. :)

Merkee

Question for all you experienced calendar makers? I am designing a basic 8.5x11 calendar for the store. I would like to make it such that you can print at home on a regular printer if desired. How much space would you like at the top for top binding?

petey111

I think the binder machine at school that I was hoping to use this year would be about 1/4th inch....I think...I can double check tomorrow.

Merkee

I think the binder machine at school that I was hoping to use this year would be about 1/4th inch....I think...I can double check tomorrow.

Thanks Petey, right now I only have 5/8 of an inch of space above the month names and I'm thinking I should have more.

hondachicc

Oh I am too...Like Chris says she is DATE challenged...I am Measurement challenged!!!! LOL!! But I will look at my calendars and see!!...with a ruler!!:D

LSlycord

Selena...love that calendar! I've really thought alot about a purchase of a Bind-it-all. This thread has almost convinced me. (I've used Walgreens and Shutterfly. I'd love to have the freedom of the Bind-it-all.)

Bush Girl

Question for all you experienced calendar makers? I am designing a basic 8.5x11 calendar for the store. I would like to make it such that you can print at home on a regular printer if desired. How much space would you like at the top for top binding?

Just my two cents worth......for my desktop calenders shown above, I found this size MUCH too big for my calenders, and redesigned the kit I bought to fit with my chosen photo onto 5"x7" photo paper (which meant the print out cost was reduced to about 25c per month), then cut my black backing paper to A5, so I got 2 pages (and thus 4 months) on each sheet of backing paper. This way my costs were kept down and the overall size was not overwhelming for the recipients (who might not be quite as keen on my kids as I am!!)

And another thing....8.5"x11" is not a paper size available in much of Europe & Asia - not sure about Australasia.

Having said that, as digi scrappers most of us are experienced enough with our editing software to re-jig sizing to suit our own needs, and in the case of the kit I bought, I just lobbed off the edges.

pgoodlin

I have made our family calendars for over 10 years now. I've always used Print Master for the calendars & adding graphics for family birthdays etc. This year, I purchased a calendar template from Scrapbookgraphics to try. I then scrapbook pages for the tops of the calendars utilizing whose birthday that it happens to be that particular month. I print out my own and get them bound at Staples.

rugbana

Thanks!

Thank you everyone for the great suggestions. You gave me lots of options :)
I like snapfish but they don't allow you to customize the whole 12x12 space. They plug the pictures into the templates which in my opinion are generic and a bit ugly.

Going to check out the bind it all!