Oscraps

Did you know: Amazon Prime Reading?

faerywings

The Loopy-O
CHEERY O
You might know this already but I found this out only a month ago. If you have Amazon Prime, you can get a free ebook every month through their First Reads program:

Last month I chose A Deadly Influence by Mike Omer which was good! This month I got The Watcher Girl by Minka Kent. I haven't started it yet but it is kind of neat that I have a book waiting for me. It looks like they have a decent selection each month and you can't beat free!

Cherylndesigns

I'm in The Zone ~ The "O" Zone
CHEERY O
Yes ma'am! I've been taking advantage of this since I joined Prime. I also pay $9.99 a month for the "Kindle Unlimited". I can get 10 books (free) at a time. My husband and I can both take advantage of it and as soon as we're done with a book we just have to return it. It's actually like a Lending Library. But I can get pretty much whatever we want. We both really love that feature.

VickiStegall

Administrator
Designer
CHEERY O
That's awesome! I'll check it out.

I also use Overdrive with our local library and send the books to my kindle.

Cherylndesigns

CHEERY O
@Cherylndesigns You should let me know what books you pick, maybe if you have a recommendation it will make my decision (for a free book!! LOL) less agonizing.

@VickiStegall I use Overdrive/Hoopla/Libby too, love that I can borrow them for free. I like "free." hehe!
I will definitely do that. Let me look and see which one I picked for April. I just looked and I got The Watcher Girl, by Minka Kent. I've read a couple of her other books and liked them. I haven't started it yet.

jenn33199

Yes- look forward to this every month. Some months there are multiple books I'd like- others none are that appealing.
(But I choose one anyway). You know about the prime reading library with free books, right? Not kindle unlimited- but they have some good titles!

scribler

The O is my hOme.
CHEERY O
I am so bad because I never really pay attention to the free book each month because they usually aren't my type of books. (I don't like books with lots of profanity or too much sex.) However, like @Cherylndesigns I make good use of my Kindle Unlimited subscription. I could not afford all the books I read without that subscription.

jenn33199

Just mentioning your public library and overdrive in case you haven’t used it. its Free of course!

faerywings

The Loopy-O
CHEERY O
Have any of you picked one for May yet? I can't decide. The last two novels I read, the protagonists were very unlikeable. I need to get away from that. Suggestions?

Cherylndesigns

CHEERY O
I am so bad because I never really pay attention to the free book each month because they usually aren't my type of books. (I don't like books with lots of profanity or too much sex.) However, like @Cherylndesigns I make good use of my Kindle Unlimited subscription. I could not afford all the books I read without that subscription.
Oh, you definitely should start! The May freebies just came out. I haven't taken the time to choose mine, but I got the email. I'm with you all the way- I really use my Kindle and have SO many books because of the Unlimited and free books.

bcgal00

CHEERY O
In Canada we don’t get such a great selection and didn’t find the Kindle Unlimited worth it. The $1.99 Kindle selection is $5 here. I just get the digi books from my library, they have a much bigger selection. Canada sucks for amazon content.

janedee

I agree Rae! I use my libby app for the library almost exclusively. I have picked up a few books through Amazon prime though that I couldn't find in my library or on Kobo.

mrottler

I am curious, has anyone lent a book to someone else through Amazon? I read once about this option, but couldn't figure out how to do it. I believe it is if you purchased a book and you are a prime member, not sure about the receiver, but probably have to be prime too.

zanthia

CHEERY O
i belong to prime but dont have a kindle so guess i cant qualify for it

wonder if it is anything like prime gaming - the free games you get are ones you would never buy in a millon years.

faerywings

The Loopy-O
CHEERY O
i belong to prime but dont have a kindle so guess i cant qualify for it

wonder if it is anything like prime gaming - the free games you get are ones you would never buy in a millon years.
I am pretty sure you can get the Kindle app for desktop (not sure how anyone reads a book like that - or maybe it is just me that can't? )- as well as for a tablet or phone if you have that. I don't have a Kindle either so I download them to an old Samsung tablet that I inherited :)

scrap-genie

I am pretty sure you can get the Kindle app for desktop (not sure how anyone reads a book like that - or maybe it is just me that can't? )- as well as for a tablet or phone if you have that. I don't have a Kindle either so I download them to an old Samsung tablet that I inherited :)
There is definitely a Kindle app for Windows. I have long had it on my Surface Pro but I read the Overdrive books from the library in Libby, also on the desktop (but then it's a tablet looking thing even though a real PC). DH is reading in Libby on a real desktop and doesn't really want to go back to physical library books. I like both.

Cherylndesigns

CHEERY O
I am curious, has anyone lent a book to someone else through Amazon? I read once about this option, but couldn't figure out how to do it. I believe it is if you purchased a book and you are a prime member, not sure about the receiver, but probably have to be prime too.
I tried just the other day. They wanted a fee. :( You can try adding them to your "family". I had my youngest dd on mine, but she never used it, so I tried to switch it to my granddaughter and couldn't figure out how to do it.

scrapinmom

CHEERY O
I have unlimited and check out the books every month. I also use my local library alot as well.

LazyDaisy

Hi, there’s a few things you can do. I’m presuming you have a kindle. Though some will help with other e-readers.. I love books & find 2nd hand/opportunity stores are good. I love terrible sci fi & get books for 20c. In my experience its bad sci fi or romanance lol. Garage sales are good too, church fairs. I’ll keep as short as I can. i hope whatever I say is helpfu.l.

ok, presuming you have a kindle. Though some are probably relevant to most e-readers.

project Gutenberg- 1000s of free & legal ebooks. They are downloaded as files *.mobi you copy onto your kindle.

Overdrive - I don’t know if this has already been mentioned, if you have a library card you can use this site. USA only.

Loan books purchased on Amazon. - you can loan your books to people. It’s in the settings on the website I think, if you want to know more, let me know. This is one thing available to people who purchase kindle books on Amazon that is kept quiet. Though it’s definitely a service that comes with purchasing kindle book. Cant loan all books, just certain titles. You have 14days to Read the loaned book.

there’s a family sharing option which is different from loaning a book to someone.

Smashwords has 1000s of free books as well as for purchase. Though I think it said over 80,000 are free.

Manybooks - new & old books. I think this one is a bit hard to navigate but has a tutorial.

DigiLibraries - all free, dl 50 per day limit. :D

So there are a few things you can look at. I think any e-reader may benefit from most of them.

As they are different sites with different licences they may not have some books but you’ll find it on another. Especially popular books. I think old school traditional literature is probably more common.

LazyDaisy

Hi,

I got these instructions from pc world. I hope it helps. If not I can look furthe.

To loan out a Kindle ebook, sign into Amazon.com and open the Account & Lists drop-down menu, located in the top right corner of the Amazon homepage. Choose Your Content & Devices. You should see a list of all of the Kindle ebooks you’ve ever bought. Next to the title of each book, you’ll note a grey square with three dots on it. Click it, and a list of all of the options for this title will appear. If Loan this title is on the list, you’re in business. Clicking it will take you to a page that lets you send the book to the friend of your choosing’s email address. Your Kindle ebooks can be lent out for a 14-day period, during which time you won’t have access to the title, yourself—just as if you’d lent a book to a pal from the shelf in your living room.

LazyDaisy

Just remembered, just search Amazon for “free books” & a tonne come up. Though a lot have topless cowboys on the covers so that looked very niched to me. I may have given away some of the algorithm they use for me.:D:eek:

LazyDaisy

I was looking at Amazon Prime Reading for the first time. If you are a member you can get 2 books but as members you would know. The book I would want to read & I think I would bring attention to it as it’s a biographical story about the Tour de France in 1919 just after WWI. My eye drew to it as I’m a cyclist but it looks to be a really interesting read about a moment in history & the amazing men who fought then cycled. It’s in my list which is a bit long atm but I want to read this. So not a recommendation from reading it but it just seems so good & I thought I’d point it out. “Sprinting Through No Man’s Land” by Adin Dobkin

faerywings

The Loopy-O
CHEERY O
I think the two books promo is just for June, every other month it has been one. Either way, it is a great deal.
I bet @nancyr would be interested in that one, she always watches the Tour de France