Oscraps

Christmas is coming...

AnaSantos

The O is Awesome
CHEERY O
Well, Christmas is coming... who wants to share some tips that will allow the Christmas tree to survive until January 6th? #coffee

0b6df3_0beac9a46f8148938e3b1ba12bfce3d6.gif

Last edited:

Cherylndesigns

I'm in The Zone ~ The "O" Zone
CHEERY O
I gave up on live trees a few years ago - I could leave mine up all year. LOL Mine is beautiful and doesn't look artificial at all.

pachimac

I solemnly swear I am up to no good!
CHEERY O
We used to buy our trees the weekend of thanksgiving and they lasted until Epiphany. If we bought them any earlier, they never survived. We got a really realistic looking artificial tree about 7 years ago on a great deal, so we don't have to worry about that anymore.

Veronika

I buy my Christmas tree at the beginning of December, choose an inexpensive tree from the reduced trees, which are not quite "perfect" - they strike me as "great lone fighters with the will to survive", at home the tree comes in a stand with water Come in, I'll talk to him:), he's put in the garden and given a chain of lights. I make sure that the water is always refilled, talk to him a lot and then he comes around on December 20th. into the living room and is decorated. He stays there until the beginning of January and then goes back into the garden and stands there with the chain of lights until the end. I often hang birdseed on it
==> water and "speak" :) ;)

Amandajk

We make a fresh cut on the base when home if we buy from a lot. The past 3 years we had to, due to a virus that attacked local tree farms. . This allows any dried sap to be broken and allow water absorption.
But the best bet is to go and choose/cut your own at a farm, they last soooo much longer!!
We keep the tree away from heat vents, and water it almost daily. A freshly cut tree can consume a gallon of water in 24 hours. Never let the water level go below the tree’s base. :)

AnaSantos

The O is Awesome
CHEERY O
We used to buy our trees the weekend of thanksgiving and they lasted until Epiphany. If we bought them any earlier, they never survived. We got a really realistic looking artificial tree about 7 years ago on a great deal, so we don't have to worry about that anymore.
My cats also like to destroy the artificial tree. They try to climb and of course they make everything fall in their path, LoL

AnaSantos

The O is Awesome
CHEERY O
I buy my Christmas tree at the beginning of December, choose an inexpensive tree from the reduced trees, which are not quite "perfect" - they strike me as "great lone fighters with the will to survive", at home the tree comes in a stand with water Come in, I'll talk to him:), he's put in the garden and given a chain of lights. I make sure that the water is always refilled, talk to him a lot and then he comes around on December 20th. into the living room and is decorated. He stays there until the beginning of January and then goes back into the garden and stands there with the chain of lights until the end. I often hang birdseed on it
So, I guess it is safe from cats ;)

Kythe

CHEERY O
Short of a barrier to keep the cats out of the room I think you might be out of luck on the 'cat in the tree' front. As for keeping the tree fresh, self-cut ones are the way to go and daily watering.

We have the artificial variety (with no fibre optic lights embedded). No watering needed which means no floods on the wood floor.
Hubby prefers the multicoloured lights and the different types like flames, bubble lights and candles as well as mini lights so he does his thing. I do the decorating which is my thing. By the time I am finished pretty much all that is seen is lights and decorations with the odd green bough filling the spaces. I exaggerate but you get the drift.

faerywings

The Loopy-O
CHEERY O
That is fantastic! When I was a kid, I would cry for the leftover trees on the lots after Christmas, the poor unloved ones. I am over the moon that you always pick one of them! ♥

ETA: We always put our trees in the woods behind my house after Christmas. If you lean them up slightly they make great shelters for little critters over the winter. A nice bonus in the spring is when I do yard clean up and brush against the leaves, I still smell Christmas :D

faerywings

The Loopy-O
CHEERY O
My cats also like to destroy the artificial tree. They try to climb and of course they make everything fall in their path, LoL
When we had cats, Floyd always ate the needles on Caitlyn's small artificial tree that she had in her room. He never did it during the day. She would hear him in the middle of the night and then within minutes he would barf them all back up. Every darn year. When he passed away, that was one of the first comments she made, "Now I won't have to hear him throw up my Christmas Tree every night." He died in *March* 2020. :rolleyes: :cool:

AnaSantos

The O is Awesome
CHEERY O
When we had cats, Floyd always ate the needles on Caitlyn's small artificial tree that she had in her room. He never did it during the day. She would hear him in the middle of the night and then within minutes he would barf them all back up. Every darn year. When he passed away, that was one of the first comments she made, "Now I won't have to hear him throw up my Christmas Tree every night." He died in *March* 2020. :rolleyes: :cool:
The things cats do, unbelievable!! experts at getting into trouble.

Veronika

That is fantastic! When I was a kid, I would cry for the leftover trees on the lots after Christmas, the poor unloved ones. I am over the moon that you always pick one of them! ♥

ETA: We always put our trees in the woods behind my house after Christmas. If you lean them up slightly they make great shelters for little critters over the winter. A nice bonus in the spring is when I do yard clean up and brush against the leaves, I still smell Christmas :D
oh yes, that makes me happy... that sounds so sweet and nice......:)