Oscraps

Any other true crime addicts out there?

tanteva

all i need is Oscraps, cOffee, chOcOlate & tOfu
It's a bit weird posting about true crime in the "Entertainment Zone", but let's face it - it's entertainment for many, even how terrible the subject is. Just been watching a couple of shows on Youtube, and I thought I'd start a thread and see if there are any other ones like me out there.

First of all - I have no idea where my fascination for true crime comes from, and I find it kinda disturbing at times. WHY do I enjoy reading books & watching TV shows about stuff like kidnapping and murder? (Not so fond of things like robbery, fraud and such - I want it gory LOL) I often think I'm really disturbed! Why do you think people are fascinated by this?

I have tons of books on true crime, and I borrow from the library as well. Currently reading Kate McCann's book Madeleine, about the kidnapping of her daugther in Portugal in 2007. The book is old, but I've always been meaning to read the mother's own words, mainly because the parents have been the subject of so much hate and suspision over the years. (Personally, I think they are innocent victims, just to be clear.) I've read so many books of different crimes, and I like to keep up with what's happening in the cases.

Of course, the case I'm most interested in, is the murder in 1986 of Swedish Prime Minister Olof Palme. That murder has had such an impact on this country, and the fact that it's still unsolved is really annoying. I know, there was a "solution" presented in 2020, but that was just CRAP. No evidence, no nothing, just another opinion from yet another person. Simply the fact that this is the "official" solution, does not mean it's true. They would have come up with better evidence for that. It's officially solved and case is closed, but it was all theories, and no evidence. *steps off the soap box*

I love the show Unsolved Mysteries. Both the new on on Netflix, and probably even more the old ones. I think I've watched all the old ones on YouTube. It's really interesting to watch, and then google to see if there's been any developments. Other shows I like is the old Forensic Files (you learn so much there!), 48 hours & Cold Justice

The recent capture of Joseph James DeAngelo was such a rush. A case you thought never would get solved, and then that they solved it by using genetic genealogy was such a kick (being a genealogist, I mean). We had a case of a double murder here in Sweden solved by genetic genealogy after this as well. Another case that had been cold for 17 years, but was solved by uploading the DNA to a genealogy site, and then doing the research.

I follow a couple of YouTube channels about true crime. Favorites are Kendall Rae, Crime After Crime, Mile Higher Podcast, Scary Mysteries & Gabulosis ... but I'm following so many more. As I said - I'm addicted LOL

Finally: what crime would you be most happy about if it was solved? Besides the murder of Olof Palme, I'd love to see justice for Alissa Turney. The father is arrested, but I don't think it's been any trial yet? Finding Madeleine McCann of course, and all other lost children.

faerywings

The Loopy-O
CHEERY O
I don't watch or read True Crime, but Caitlyn is obsessed with it. She watched a bunch of shows on Netflix and YouTube.
I'll ask her if she has seen/heard any of the ones you mentioned :)

Cherylndesigns

I'm in The Zone ~ The "O" Zone
CHEERY O
I can't stand "gore" but I do like some True Crime shows. We watch a lot of it, actually. If it gets too gory, I have to turn it.

mywisecrafts

CHEERY O
I think you like the psychology behind it. I watch some True Crime. I like CSI/Criminal Mind shows. For me, I like trying to understand people and how they think and see if there are similiarities... I probably like some gore as I also love medical shows as well.... I'm weird, this I now.....

Side bar, I'm pretty sure "snapped" was created because of perimenopausal women...

Cherylndesigns

I'm in The Zone ~ The "O" Zone
CHEERY O
I think you like the psychology behind it. I watch some True Crime. I like CSI/Criminal Mind shows. For me, I like trying to understand people and how they think and see if there are similiarities... I probably like some gore as I also love medical shows as well.... I'm weird, this I now.....

Side bar, I'm pretty sure "snapped" was created because of perimenopausal women...
I agree about Snapped, but I love it. It's been pretty gory lately, though. They must think everybody loves that.

Caro

CHEERY O
I wouldn't say I'm a fan but maybe I would get into it if I tried :eek: I did like a show called Mindhunter on Netflix but it was canceled after two seasons :rolleyes: I started a new one that just came out on Hulu called Only Murders In The Building "Starring Steve Martin, Selena Gomez, and Martin Short as three neighbors brought together by their love of true crime podcasts" but it was a bit boring so I stopped after two episodes.

wombat146

ONA - Administrator
CHEERY O
Oh I am another True Crime lover here! lol! Have watched Criminal Minds for years and all of the CSI shows......... I used to watch Law and Order/SVU years ago and then we didn't have a TV for about 21 years so I have had a binge fest, watching all the seasons...... I am up to Season 12. I sit and do collage art in my glue books while I watch the shows of an evening on my PC. I also love watching the Cold Case ones, the real life one, with Kelly Siegler is a good one, in a lot of cases they end solving cases that are old.
Forensic type shows are also fascinating. For me its all about how they come to the conclusion that someone is guilty and how they find their evidence.

And like Esther, I am a medical show fan as well, but it there is gory bit in, like cutting someone open, I always close my eyes! lol!! I don't mind them talking about it, but the actual scene of someone getting cut open, real or not, always turns my stomach! hahhaaaa!!!

tanteva

I wouldn't say I'm a fan but maybe I would get into it if I tried :eek: I did like a show called Mindhunter on Netflix but it was canceled after two seasons :rolleyes: I started a new one that just came out on Hulu called Only Murders In The Building "Starring Steve Martin, Selena Gomez, and Martin Short as three neighbors brought together by their love of true crime podcasts" but it was a bit boring so I stopped after two episodes.
Oh, I didn't know Mindhunter had been cancelled. Bummer! I liked that show. They could've done at least a couple of episodes about BTK since they've been hinting about him so much.

I've of course read the book. LOL

scribler

The O is my hOme.
CHEERY O
I was really in to true crime books back in my college days but not so much these days. (Now criminal shows like NCIS or Law & Order is a whole different thing. Love those.)

tanteva

I was really in to true crime books back in my college days but not so much these days. (Now criminal shows like NCIS or Law & Order is a whole different thing. Love those.)

I love criminal shows as well, but I do think I watch true crime more. I love the Harlan Coben shows - he's always got some unexpected twists and turns. I love being surprised in my criminal shows.

Also - being an anglophile - I loooove every British Crime show there is. LOL

tjscraps

I like 'crime' type stuff - psychological thrillers and mysteries, but I don't like it when it's true, I'd rather it be fiction! lol!