Oscraps

Affinity scrapper??? Anyone???

Jam-on-toast

CHEERY O
Hi fellow scrappers,

I've been wondering if there is anyone here who uses Affinity Designer (or Affinity Photo) to scrap? I know most people - unlike me - use Photoshop, but I am hoping to find some Affinitians - is that even a word? - to exchange tips and tricks with...

Keeping fingers crossed and wishing you a nice weekend,
Hugs,
Olga

Craftyann

I do, I have both photo and designer on both laptop and iPad. I think it’s much better than photoshop. I use the iPad versions mostly though because I have pretty bad arthritis and find the iPad lighter on my legs and the pencil is easier than a mouse.

Vicki Robinson

Designer + Brush Queen + Mac Guru
Designer
I’m a designer here at the O (using Photoshop CC) and have been learning Affinity so I can make sure my kits and templates will work. Its going well so far — just a bit of a learning curve when it comes to effects like shadowing and using clipping masks. i also sell tons of brushes and want to be sure they work too.

How do you move kits to your iPad? Are you a Mac or PC person?

Jam-on-toast

CHEERY O
Vicky... have you come across the recent issue when PSD files (templates) where some of the elements with effects applied to them - shading, transparency, not sure eactly what - open in Affinity with those elements missing altogether? it's nothing huge, usually a clipping mask for a photo - a banal rectangle that I can easily add - but it's a shock when I open the file to work with and ...ooops... I need to go back and downloand pngs...

Jam-on-toast

CHEERY O
I do, I have both photo and designer on both laptop and iPad. I think it’s much better than photoshop. I use the iPad versions mostly though because I have pretty bad arthritis and find the iPad lighter on my legs and the pencil is easier than a mouse.
I can't imagine scrapping on the iPad... how do you access the kits? And with a pen, not a mouse???

Though I imagine sitting down under a blossoming cherry tree with an iPad on my lap and scrapping dreamily would be something I'd like to try...

Vicki Robinson

Designer
Vicky... have you come across the recent issue when PSD files (templates) where some of the elements with effects applied to them - shading, transparency, not sure eactly what - open in Affinity with those elements missing altogether? it's nothing huge, usually a clipping mask for a photo - a banal rectangle that I can easily add - but it's a shock when I open the file to work with and ...ooops... I need to go back and downloand pngs...
I haven run into that yet, but I do know is a problem. It’s got something to do with rather new changes in Photoshop.

Vicki Robinson

Designer
I can't imagine scrapping on the iPad... how do you access the kits? And with a pen, not a mouse???

Though I imagine sitting down under a blossoming cherry tree with an iPad on my lap and scrapping dreamily would be something I'd like to try...
I move my files using the cloud Files app on my iPad, but you can use Dropbox too. And yes, I use my Apple Pencil. I only use my Wacom pen on my computer (no mouse for anything at all) so for me it’s not much different.

zanthia

CHEERY O
i wanted to try affinity but could not launch it on either my desktop and laptop ,both have windows 10

Jam-on-toast

CHEERY O
i wanted to try affinity but could not launch it on either my desktop and laptop ,both have windows 10
Silly question, but do you have the correct version? I run it on my windowns 10 and never had any issues. I know they have different versions for mac and windows... I've been thinking of switching to Mac but don't fancy buying Affinity again...

Jam-on-toast

CHEERY O
I move my files using the cloud Files app on my iPad, but you can use Dropbox too. And yes, I use my Apple Pencil. I only use my Wacom pen on my computer (no mouse for anything at all) so for me it’s not much different.
No mouse???? I can't even imagine that... My notebook has a touchscreen which I love - expecially for scrawling up/down but no mouse is inconcerivable for me.. On a different note, I'm surprised so few people have heard of Affinity...

Vicki Robinson

Designer
No mouse???? I can't even imagine that... My notebook has a touchscreen which I love - expecially for scrawling up/down but no mouse is inconcerivable for me.. On a different note, I'm surprised so few people have heard of Affinity...
I’ve been mouse-less for more than 10 years - the Wacom pen acts as my mouse and it’s perfect for me. It’s programmable, so I‘ve programmed many of the common photoshop functions into it. I do lots of extractions for my products, and the pen allows me to be much more precise. the tablet itself is also programmable, so the buttons do all sorts of actions for me.

Vicki Robinson

Designer
Silly question, but do you have the correct version? I run it on my windowns 10 and never had any issues. I know they have different versions for mac and windows... I've been thinking of switching to Mac but don't fancy buying Affinity again...
Email them - sometimes they’ll let you swap licenses.

zanthia

CHEERY O
i downloaded the demo so i think it would have to be the latest version - this was last year.

Vicki Robinson

Designer
I’ve just opened several of my own templates in Affinity Photo for my iPad and they all seem to work as expected. While researching possible issues, it seems the problem occurs with “shapes” that a designer as not “rasterized” or “simplified” before saving the template. That issue seems to have been caused by changes in the way Photoshop CC handles the shapes themselves. I don’t find any problems with the effects applied to the layers.

When you have time, feel free to grab (using your coupon) one or two of my new layered quick pages (because they have both photo spots and layer effects) and test them. I’d be interested to see how they work for you.

Jam-on-toast

CHEERY O
I’ve just opened several of my own templates in Affinity Photo for my iPad and they all seem to work as expected. While researching possible issues, it seems the problem occurs with “shapes” that a designer as not “rasterized” or “simplified” before saving the template. That issue seems to have been caused by changes in the way Photoshop CC handles the shapes themselves. I don’t find any problems with the effects applied to the layers.

When you have time, feel free to grab (using your coupon) one or two of my new layered quick pages (because they photo spots and layer effects) and test them. I’d be interested to see how they work for you.
Oh, thank you! You might be onto something. Yes, you are right, it is usually about basic shapes, not effects applied to them. I'll let the other designer know... Your quickpages open as they should... looks like I'll be making a page soon... :)

hoodsmom

Guess Who!
I installed Affinity Photo on my M1 Big Sur Mac laptop and use it regularly for making origami diagrams. There are a few cool features, but I cannot imagine making the kind of LO's that are my style with it, primarily b/c I can't do the complex masking that's part of my style. I'm just learning to use the Affinity pen tool and have decided I hate it. The real deal breaker though is that the GUI is horrible for someone like me with mild vision issues. I haven't done serious digiscrapping since March but now that I'm participating in the December party, I'm remembering just how much easier it is to do stuff in Photoshop. It's not just a learning curve. Some features that are a critical part of my workflow don't exist in Affinity (I checked the help forums). When I have to upgrade my Mac to Big Sur/Monterey, I will bite the bullet and pay for a Photoshop CC subscription.