Oscraps

Advice on the best Wacom Tablet to purchase

MissBelle

I really want to purchase a Wacom Tablet - need advice on the best one to purchase. I have been researching and there are so many mixed reviews and options! Get a Wacom or go with a different brand? I would only use the tablet for scrapping with Photoshop CC, I certainly was not blessed with the gift of drawing. So -please hit with your sage advice and knowledge.
Mine is a few years old, I think the version is 5. I bought the medium one and it's too big for me. I wish I'd gotten the small one. It takes up a lot of room too and have to rest it partly on my keyboard. I like using a Wacom but I don't use it that much because it's so big. I need to get back to it as I now have arthritis in my right hand and painting, erasing, dragging etc. while scrapping is getting painful. Note: I have watched many Photoshop tutorials by gurus, book authors, presenters, etc. and they all use Wacom brand tablets.

wombat146

ONA - Administrator
CHEERY O
Thanks for all of the great info ladies!!! Great explanation as well @Vicki Robinson I used to use a Wacom a few years ago, and it was THE ONLY thing I used and I loved it! But then I had probs. with operating system problems interfering with the Wacom and at the time I was on a lot of CT teams that all had deadlines so I ended up putting it away and going back to the mouse.......... hahhaaa!!! I remember I had to retrain my brain to go back to the mouse to scrap with!! LOL!!

With our big move down here I came across the Wacom and decided to bring it with me to see if I could get it going again so maybe that is my job this weekend! lol! Will have to see if I can fit it on this desk of mine but it's going to be pretty close to my art table so here's hoping I don't splatter paint all over it!!! lol!!!

scribler

The O is my hOme.
CHEERY O
@faerywings In looking for info on using the buttons to scroll, I found out totally not necessary. If you touch the tablet with your pen and hold the bottom button you can move the pen up and down on the tablet to scroll.

Vicki Robinson

Designer + Brush Queen + Mac Guru
Designer
@faerywings In looking for info on using the buttons to scroll, I found out totally not necessary. If you touch the tablet with your pen and hold the bottom button you can move the pen up and down on the tablet to scroll.
I totally forgot about that - I turned that functionality off, but it's called "Touch"!!

wombat146

ONA - Administrator
CHEERY O
Sooo, I wrote earlier that I used to use the Wacom a LOT a few years ago and then had probs. with it so packed it away. This thread reminded me that it was sitting in the cupboard so yesterday I tidied up my desk, found a spot for it, plugged it all in, and starting using it! Fun!

But, within the first 30 minutes of using it I THEN REMEMBERED the other reason why I stopped using it.......... shoulder pain!! All those memories came back of when I used to try and get around using the tablet without getting the shoulder pain. I remembered I tried various combinations of setting up my desk so my arm/shoulder were in different positions but unfortunately to no avail, the pain didn't go away, which is why I was forced to go back to the mouse. Don't know what it is......... I have the medium sized tablet so perhaps its just too big, having to extend my arm out on occasions to get around my screen. Maybe it's the combination of holding the pen and moving my wrist/arm, just don't know. So I packed it all up again, back to the mouse, and no pain. I wondered whether a smaller tablet might be the way to go and then after some thought, I decided to just stay with mouse, it isn't hindering the way I want to scrap so I will just go on using it. :)

Vicki Robinson

Designer
Sooo, I wrote earlier that I used to use the Wacom a LOT a few years ago and then had probs. with it so packed it away. This thread reminded me that it was sitting in the cupboard so yesterday I tidied up my desk, found a spot for it, plugged it all in, and starting using it! Fun!

But, within the first 30 minutes of using it I THEN REMEMBERED the other reason why I stopped using it.......... shoulder pain!! All those memories came back of when I used to try and get around using the tablet without getting the shoulder pain. I remembered I tried various combinations of setting up my desk so my arm/shoulder were in different positions but unfortunately to no avail, the pain didn't go away, which is why I was forced to go back to the mouse. Don't know what it is......... I have the medium sized tablet so perhaps its just too big, having to extend my arm out on occasions to get around my screen. Maybe it's the combination of holding the pen and moving my wrist/arm, just don't know. So I packed it all up again, back to the mouse, and no pain. I wondered whether a smaller tablet might be the way to go and then after some thought, I decided to just stay with mouse, it isn't hindering the way I want to scrap so I will just go on using it. :)
That’s too bad, @wombat146. I keep my tablet in front of my screen and keyboard just to the left - I have a narrow work surface, so I’m not reaching (as you can see in my photo). As you say, what you’re doing is working for you, so go with that!

rraustin

I’ve been using a Wacom tablet for at least 15 years — I don’t use a mouse at all (I’m not even sure I know where it is). I do have some suggestions for you, but it’s very early in my day and I have a killer headache, so as soon as I can think clearly I’ll be back.

wombat146

ONA - Administrator
CHEERY O
Ok, Vicki - Purchased - Now waiting for your tutorial! Please!!
hahahaaaa!!! Get to work Vicki!!! @Vicki Robinson
giphy.gif

Vicki Robinson

Designer
Oh Poopie! Wacom now has the next model up - the Intuos, which has programmable buttons — on sale too! Very affordable right now and not much more than the Wacom One. If you use the full version of Photoshop, the Intuos is even a better deal because the buttons can be programmed to run actions and things.

The Wacom One I mentioned is a beginner product and has a toggle button on the pen that can be programmed for two different functions (like right click and Undo) - and that's fine, especially if you use Photoshop Elements, but that's about it. It's still great for selecting, masking, and brushing tho.

How annoying!

taxed4ever

Administrator Crazy about the "O"
CHEERY O
I have the Intuos but still have not programmed the buttons on it, its on my list of the 10000 things I need to do this year LOL.

wombat146

ONA - Administrator
CHEERY O
I have the Intuos but still have not programmed the buttons on it, its on my list of the 10000 things I need to do this year LOL.
Oh I used to love all those programmed buttons, I had a button assigned to Undo, Copy, Cut, Paste, Deselect, and Fill Colour!! It was so awesome!! LOL!

LSlycord

Well my first instinct was to go look for the new one on Amazon. I can see where the programmed buttons would be great. But I am still trying to figure out PS and using the pen on my Wacom so I think I still have plenty of learning to do. However, I do have the Intuos on my list for later this year.