Oscraps

01-Iowa-Schools-to-1923.jpg
These 10 pages are for a set of panoramic sleeves.
Journaling reads:
This Wahkonsa school house was completed in 1912 and is built on the site of Fort Dodge for which the Iowa city is named. Grandpa (George William Winter) started school there in 1913 or 1914. Thomas K. Winter, my great grandfather was a policeman in Fort Dodge. Aunt Edna (Edna Luella Winter), his sister, was 5 years older and would have attended the old school, too. It must have been fun and exciting to go to the new school with its modern conveniences. I’m sure they probably had indoor plumbing and that was 100 times better than the outhouse! Better heating would also have been a welcome change.

By 1915, my great grandparents had moved back to Carroll County, Iowa, and returned to farming with his brother Herbert. My great grandmother and great grand aunt, Herbert’s wife, were sisters so that must have been wonderful for them. Grandpa and Aunt Edna probably attended Lanesboro School. Uncle Herb owned 2 lots - one 40-acre and one 160-acre fields, both on the outskirts of Lanesboro. Since Great Grandpa Winter and Uncle Herb lived side by side on the census they probably lived on the same land. Kids from both families went to school here. Aunt Edna graduated in 1921. Grandpa had been very ill and developed a heart problem because of it, so he was a bit behind. He would not graduate until 1929 when he was almost 21 at Fullerton Union High School in Fullerton, Orange County, California.

This series of LOS - 10 pages - were done in 5-10 minute increments over several weeks. I discovered you don't have to do a LO all at once!
Credits list
Vintage School Collection by Karen Schulz
Easy Torn Edges 1 by Anna Aspnes
Font: Eraser Dust
Designer(s) Used:
  1. Karen Schulz Designs
I always love your historic pages! These photos are fabulous and you selected such gorgeous papers to accent your photos! I also love the ephemera you tucked in under your photo! I also love your beautiful cluster!

I don't even know how to begin to tell you how wonderful this is! I am anxious to go through all 10 of these. You continue to inspire me with how you put together facts about how much farmland they have and what it would have been like to attend school then. Of course, Iowa was home so I have special feelings about all of this!

You are doing such a great job with these historical pages. They look awesome. I love this color combination. This will be such a great book.

Layout information

Category
Oscraps Cheery O's
Added by
Susan - s3js
Date added
View count
Comment count
Rating
0.00 star(s) 0 ratings

Image metadata

Filename